Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule query

Options
  • 15-08-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Played this evening and a rule query came up. I was in bunker on par 3 and chipped out with a good shot. I didn't see where my ball finished.i went and putted my ball from the fringe and had a 4. When I putted my playing partner said s##t I marked you ball and he had thrown it to the fringe. I placed my ball on the original market and had a three. I didnt figure in the prizes but was wondering what ruling was. Mixed views in clubhouse after .everyone agreed the fella who marked the ball should get a kicking. Doesn't really matter would just like to know for future reference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

As you were not aware that he had marked and moved your ball, there is no penalty and the putt from the correct position counts.

15-3b/3 Fellow-Competitor Lifts Competitor's Ball and Sets It Aside; Competitor Plays Ball from Where Set Aside
    Q.In stroke play, B marked the position of A's ball on the putting green, lifted it and placed it nearby on the green. A failed to replace the ball. He putted it from where it lay and holed out. The error was then discovered. What is the ruling?

A.When a ball is lifted, it is out of play - see Definition of "Ball in Play." When A played a stroke with his ball which was out of play, he played a wrong ball.

If A knew that B had lifted his ball, he incurred a penalty of two strokes under Rule 15-3b and was required to replace his ball on the correct spot and play out the hole.

If A did not know that B had lifted his ball, A could not be penalized for playing a wrong ball. If he became aware of the mistake before playing from the next tee, he was required to replace his ball on the correct spot, without penalty, and complete the hole. If he learned of the mistake after playing from the next tee, the score with the wrong ball would stand and there would be no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭tritriagain

cackhanded wrote: »
    As you were not aware that he had marked and moved your ball, there is no penalty and the putt from the correct position counts.

15-3b/3 Fellow-Competitor Lifts Competitor's Ball and Sets It Aside; Competitor Plays Ball from Where Set Aside
    Q.In stroke play, B marked the position of A's ball on the putting green, lifted it and placed it nearby on the green. A failed to replace the ball. He putted it from where it lay and holed out. The error was then discovered. What is the ruling?

A.When a ball is lifted, it is out of play - see Definition of "Ball in Play." When A played a stroke with his ball which was out of play, he played a wrong ball.

If A knew that B had lifted his ball, he incurred a penalty of two strokes under Rule 15-3b and was required to replace his ball on the correct spot and play out the hole.

If A did not know that B had lifted his ball, A could not be penalized for playing a wrong ball. If he became aware of the mistake before playing from the next tee, he was required to replace his ball on the correct spot, without penalty, and complete the hole. If he learned of the mistake after playing from the next tee, the score with the wrong ball would stand and there would be no penalty.
    That's what i thought. Bit cheeky but would u have a link to official rule . Im after googling it but can't seem to find correct ruling. Thanks for info.

That's what i thought. Bit cheeky but would u have a link to official rule . Im after googling it but can't seem to find correct ruling. Thanks for info.

Just checked again and that ruling seems to be USA rules. Wondering now is Europe any different

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just checked again and that ruling seems to be USA rules. Wondering now is Europe any different

no, same rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

No that's also the R&A rule. Quoted word for word from the main reference book 'Decisions on the rules of golf'

The rule is 15-3b/3

http://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/MainRules/15-Substituted-Ball-Wrong-Ball/SubRules/3-Wrong-Ball#alldecisions

• Advertisement

thanks for that . will be nice to be able to quote rule

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Playing in singles 3 ball, players A & B drive into the woods. Upon arrival player A identifies his ball as coming to rest in the V of a broken branch lying on the ground. He cant move the branch as his ball will move and is cursing his luck as player B continues to look for his ball. Player A then decides to hack his ball out sideways as its his best option, while the other two players look for player B's ball.

Having played his shot, player A joins the search and suddenly finds his ball !! Now he has not only played the wrong ball, but smashed the branch that player B's ball was resting on. Player B's ball can now no longer be put back in its original position with the same branch .... what is the ruling ?

In this situation, player B put player A's ball back in situ but couldnt replace the branch as it was smashed so part of the branch was put back but it was now easier to hit the ball as it was not caught in a 'V'. Obviously Player A was penalised two shot for playing the wrong ball ... but was it the right decision to use a bit of the broken branch or should a branch similair to the original branch be used to recreate the V scenario ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Rule 20.3 is the relevant on here.

http://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/MainRules/20-Lifting-Dropping-and-Placing-Playing-from-Wrong-Place/SubRules/3-Placing-and-Replacing

"the ball must be placed in the nearest lie most similar to the original lie"

Leaves it a bit vague. I don't believe going to find a new y shaped branch would be correct, the new branch was not part of the original lie and no two branches are the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting one I saw the other day on YT I think.

Right handed player in the US, ball lying in the crap just beyond a cart path.
    Player stands on path to play the shot left handed and thereby gets relief and free drop........had he played right handed then he would have been nowhere near the path and would not have got any relief...

Bit cheeky but just wonder what the story was on it....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

^ Perfectly legal while pushing the spirit of the rules a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

^ Perfectly legal while pushing the spirit of the rules a little bit.

Reminds me a bit of this from Sergio, all legal but not really in the spirit imo

http://www.golf.com/tours-news/2017/09/17/watch-sergio-spends-nearly-half-hour-receiving-ruling-18th-hole-makes-par-anyway

Ball in Hazard with very unplayable lie. Decides he will play backwards out of the Hazard and finds the Stand is know effecting his swing. Free drop. Ball Drops and moves closer twice.

Gets to now place in reasonable lie in Hazard. Also due to new location and lie no longer has to play backwards out of hazard.

Blades it across green in to opposite hoarding only to receive a second drop for a simple up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

slave1 wrote: »
    Interesting one I saw the other day on YT I think.

Right handed player in the US, ball lying in the crap just beyond a cart path.
    Player stands on path to play the shot left handed and thereby gets relief and free drop........had he played right handed then he would have been nowhere near the path and would not have got any relief...

Bit cheeky but just wonder what the story was on it....

All perfectly ok, but I think the only proviso is that the shot he's attempting to play (ie the left handed one) and that he's looking for relief from, must be a reasonable one. When he gets the relief he's then free to play any other shot that might now be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ronney wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of this from Sergio, all legal but not really in the spirit imo

http://www.golf.com/tours-news/2017/09/17/watch-sergio-spends-nearly-half-hour-receiving-ruling-18th-hole-makes-par-anyway

Ball in Hazard with very unplayable lie. Decides he will play backwards out of the Hazard and finds the Stand is know effecting his swing. Free drop. Ball Drops and moves closer twice.

Gets to now place in reasonable lie in Hazard. Also due to new location and lie no longer has to play backwards out of hazard.

Blades it across green in to opposite hoarding only to receive a second drop for a simple up and down

Yeah, Sergio's one was, I think, purely his good luck that the pro game throws up situations that we'd never encounter, ie grandstands in or over hazards. Once the ref ok'd it he was fine, but I think the ref could easily have said "....nice try, but no, trying to ricochet off that rock isn't reasonable....."
    Like the ref should have said to Charley Hoffman in that bunker a few weeks ago too !

Advertisement