Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you calculate stableford points on the card?

Options
  • 15-08-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people do with regards to stableford points. I had a brief discussion with a few lads after a game and one seemed a bit annoyed by me not calculating his points on his card (I was marking his card). Now I've been playing golf before the computerised systems came in and I used to do the points on the card back then but since the computers have become common place in all clubs I've stopped and I just let the computer work it out, it's more accurate than me anyway. But he seemed genuinely put off by this. I overheard him giving out about it to the other guy we played with at their cars. Now it didn't bother me either way but I just thought it was interesting. He brought up the points on the card again in the clubhouse and said that he felt people that didn't do it were ignorant and that he has experience in doing the cards for competitions and that without the points on the card it makes it harder for them. I didn't push him on it, and having no competitions committee experience myself it got me thinking as to how that could be the case. I would have thought that in this day and age the guys checking the cards would just check for marker/player signatures and that scores recorded on holes and computer matched up.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts, is it poor form not calculating the points on the card?

Points on card? 72 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    90% 65 votes
    What's stableford???
    9% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Once the correct strokes are marked then that's all that really matters. I do mark the points as well as strokes and if someone didn't mark my points I wouldn't care as I always know what my points are from my stoke score in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I'd always do it, but that's mainly from playing a lot of Society golf when i started out where there was no computer. Wouldn't bother me if a lad didn't do it, as I always know my own score anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭ronjo

Sorry, I voted Yes but I only do my own points. Surely if he was interested enough he would know himself? I would always know anyway without writing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

It's not rocket science, feel you should fully mark the card as per the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Do you just hand the card back with gross scores and nothing else?

If so its a bit poor form. If 100 people threw their cards in with no points done its a bit much ask on the committee to do everyone's!

In practice the only cards that really get checked are those of prize winners and possibly cuts (point one back is point one back no matter how incorrectly added up etc)

It also works as a double/triple check. its easy to hit a wrong button imputing a score on the computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

I fill in the strokes on each hole and then will do the points at the end with the aid of the computer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I fill in the strokes as we go along and then do the points after 9 and at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I always mark strokes and points. I'd say the majority of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

I always fill in the card on the green after hole is finished just to annoy the group behind......kidding. stroke and points on next tee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mark both, it's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ronney wrote: »
    Do you just hand the card back with gross scores and nothing else?

If so its a bit poor form. If 100 people threw their cards in with no points done its a bit much ask on the committee to do everyone's!

In practice the only cards that really get checked are those of prize winners and possibly cuts (point one back is point one back no matter how incorrectly added up etc)

It also works as a double/triple check. its easy to hit a wrong button imputing a score on the computer

This exactly ^^

Speaking as someone who does that cards at weekends, it is a bit of a pain when you get a card with no points on it. Now, its not the end of the world and I fully agree the player isn't obliged to do it, but still...............fill in the f--king points :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I normally mark the points but I find some people obsessive about it as we go along with lengthy discussions as to the correct points holding up play. If someone is delaying for the sake of clarifying points I always say that it's only the strokes that count and we can check it at the computer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I always mark gross score and points.
    why wouldn't you?

I don't think I've ever been given my card back either that didn't have my points marked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I record the strokes, calculate the stableford and do the sums at the end.

If someone had an issue with me doing/not doing the calculations I'd tell them to fúck right off that rules only require the marker to record the strokes - everything else after that is really down to the committee, so any effort on my part is a courtesy to my fellow competitors.....and you should keep track of your own points if they are that important ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Russman wrote: »
    This exactly ^^

Speaking as someone who does that cards at weekends, it is a bit of a pain when you get a card with no points on it. Now, its not the end of the world and I fully agree the player isn't obliged to do it, but still...............fill in the f--king points :)!

This is the bit I don't get. Why is that the case? I would have thought since the computers have come in that all the guys doing the cards do is ensure the score inputted on the computer matches the card and that their are signatures on the card. Is it a case that you guys look at the points on the cards while riffling through them before checking the computer? If that's the case then I can see the issue with no points on the card alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I always put the points on for 3 reasons

1. So as not to annoy my playing partners

2. So as to make the work of the competitions secretary a little bit easier. Its a voluntary job he's doing and I've done it myself before. Anyway to make his life easier is greatly appreciated by him.

3. So as to win my long term fight against Alzheimer's. Its scientifically proven that people who do crossword puzzles, sudokus, or anything that works the brain are far more likely to stave off Alzheimer's well into their later years as opposed to those who don't. Win your battle! Do the painstakingly simple calculation. Your brain will thank you for it!

This is the bit I don't get. Why is that the case? I would have thought since the computers have come in that all the guys doing the cards do is ensure the score inputted on the computer matches the card and that their are signatures on the card. Is it a case that you guys look at the points on the cards while riffling through them before checking the computer? If that's the case then I can see the issue with no points on the card alright.

If you have 36 points in the computer and there's 36 points written on the card, its a very quick follow the scorecard to see it. But if you don't have the points filled in, the comp sec, by rights, MUST fill in the points for you so as to ensure no mistakes are made.

Do the simple thing and if you don't know how to do it, ask your playing partner after each hole or each 9. Everyone will thank you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I normally do put the points in, but it's the score you're signing off on , not the points. Easy to make a manual mistake on the points but the computer won't. Why does the competitions secretary have to check the points these day if the computer has done it? (Not saying he doesn't just wondering why.....). I may be missing something in fairness but I see the OP's point.
    And surely if you're interested in your points you'll be noting them yourself and will be confirming the score and your points at the end, especially if you've had a good one.
    Interesting thread .....I'll keep doing the points anyway if that's a help to others, even though I don't really see why it should be any more........ (Is this a case of the system has changed but we're still doing things the old way even though it doesn't make sense any more...?).

Reading previous post post again, I guess that's just the rules, the comp. sec. must check the points, so put 'em in. Fair enough. But maybe change the rules so the comp. sec. just has to check the actual scores against what's in the computer, for winning scores. That might be more appropriate in the computerised environment.

I know in my club, it's card first, then computer. The card must be the gospel imho. Plus you've potentially got the odd guy who will throw his card in and not bother with the computer (relatively rare, but it happens). We sort the cards, check the top few cards in each class, and then run the computer process to get css etc.
    Tbh its not a deal breaker if the odd card doesn't have the points entered, it's more an annoyance where you think to yourself "....this lazy pr1ck didn't bother do the points...", but if everyone didn't bother I certainly wouldn't be volunteering at weekends anymore !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

"So 35 points was the winning score last Saturday?"

"Was it, that was low enough. Who won?"

"You did ya bleeding numpty"

"no way, nice one"

"How do you not know what score you had?"

"I don't bother with points"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have yet to see someone who doesn't do it.

I used to do it after the round, just marking the scores during play then filling the points in after, but before entering them into the computer. Mostly in an attempt to not get distracted by how I'm going too much. Makes it a bit of an after round ritual, too.

But lately I've changed to doing it as we go along. Easier when the scores are fresh in mind. And everyone seems to know how they're doing anyway - including me. I'd alway shave an idea, 1 down, 2 up, that sort of thing. But I'd never put a card into the box without points.

As for the competition committee. I don't think it makes much of a difference to them. The go first by the computer scores, then pick out the top X cards and check them as they will have to do anyway. There is no way the competition guy goes through all 100 odd cards and checks them all for correctness.

As for the competition committee. I don't think it makes much of a difference to them. The go first by the computer scores, then pick out the top X cards and check them as they will have to do anyway. There is no way the competition guy goes through all 100 odd cards and checks them all for correctness.

As one of the competition guys in my club, you're correct, we don't check every card for correctness, but we do sort them by class and then by score and check the top 4, 5, 6 in each class for correctness. Possibly more if there are say, 5 people tied for 3rd place in a class.
    We don't go by computer first though, its always second, as a backup/confirmation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I don't do it after every hole but always after the front nine and back nine. Then hand them the card to double check but most people I play with have a good idea what they scored.

Keano wrote: »
    I don't do it after every hole but always after the front nine and back nine. Then hand them the card to double check but most people I play with have a good idea what they scored.

Just put me down for 40 points on the first tee - You know I'm good for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Having the stable total is a useful error check when walking off the last green.

"Well done, 36 total?".. Yep that matches what I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I've a better chance of 40 pints at the weekend than 40 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I've had several cards back recently without the pts filled in and it does annoy me - I've taken the trouble to do them, why can't you??

I've had several cards back recently without the pts filled in and it does annoy me - I've taken the trouble to do them, why can't you??

I generally assume that if someone hasn't done my points it may be because they are not comfortable with maths - some people find even the simplest sums/calculations difficult.

In that situation, I'd probably fill in the points myself and show them what I'd done before lodging the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Jawgap wrote: »
    I generally assume that if someone hasn't done my points it may be because they are not comfortable with maths - some people find even the simplest sums/calculations difficult.

In that situation, I'd probably fill in the points myself and show them what I'd done before lodging the card.
    I'll tell my playung partner they dont have to fill them in but most do.

Ill explain I may make a mistake on there points but the strokes will be correct, sone will just ask for strokes only.

I find it more annoying if I ask not to get my score on the turn only for them.to call it out. I always ask if they wish to know at the 10th.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'll tell my playung partner they dont have to fill them in but most do.

Ill explain I may make a mistake on there points but the strokes will be correct, sone will just ask for strokes only.

I find it more annoying if I ask not to get my score on the turn only for them.to call it out. I always ask if they wish to know at the 10th.

Likewise - I like to track my score from hole-to-hole and know what I'm on but I appreciate not everyone does, so I generally ask people if they want to know before telling them.

The ones that really get on my t1ts are the ones who start giving a running commentary from a few holes out....."You're doing great, 9 points from these last 4 holes and you're in the winner's enclosure"......that sort of stuff - now, that I find irritating!

Advertisement