Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimpy Fast food Menu from 70's

Options
  • 15-08-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

i believe there used to be some Wimpy fast food restaurants dotted around Ireland in the 70's & 80's - Just for a bit of nostalgia I thought I would post up this menu from Wimpy , I believe it was 1972 or thereabouts and a British menu but i reckon some of the dishes will take a lot of people back. - Look at them there prices for the meals :eek:

wimpy_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A wimpy cheese eggburger, okayyy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

vicwatson wrote: »
    A wimpy cheese eggburger, okayyy

don't knock it til you've tried it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I remember them being here when I was a child. They had tomato shaped ketchup dispensers which were very exciting to 60s kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have dim memories of being taken to one in Waterford in the 80s.

My dad doing the 'I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today' bit ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There were wimpys knocking around right into the 2000s. Mostly in filling stations. Pretty sure Urlingford had one in Josephine's. There was a stand alone one in Fermoy up until a few years ago, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There was definitely a Wimpy in the petrol station just on the edge of Rathnew village, it was there within the last 10 years anyway. I just checked and the station's an applegreen, so no going on a Bender Egg Brunch lunch,followed by a Brown Derby for pudding for me today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen those wimpys in remote places, I wondered if they were legit, or just takeaways with chancer owners using the name.

I was talking to younger people saying how I used to consider mcdonalds pretty expensive, and how I would have always gone to a chipper instead. I think people forget to do the punt/euro conversion too. You have been able to get a burger or double cheeseburger for €1 or €2 in mcdonalds for years now, I suppose if you go to the main menu it is not particularly cheap.

this is mcdonalds UK in 1974
    ad_169101133-e1431671472577.jpg?w=620&h=917&crop=1
    You could get many of the same menu items as you can today.The hamburger, which was ‘made with 100% pure beef, topped with pickles, mustard and ketchup, served in a freshly toasted bun,’ cost just 15p.
    The average weekly wage at that time was around £40, so this was more than affordable.
    A cheeseburger – they just added some ‘mellow cheese’ – was 21p, while for those with a ‘big appetite’, you could pick up a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or a Big Mac for 45p. Yes, a super-sized meal was still but a glimmer in Ronald McDonald’s eye.

That 45p is equivalent to around £3.90 in today’s money, more expensive than the current price of £2.89. Bargain.
    Instead of the fillet-o-fish, we had the whimsical sounding McMariner, a ‘tender fish steak’, topped with that McDonald’s special sauce, for 30p.
    If you wanted fries with that, it was 12p for a small bag and 15p for a large portion.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/15/someones-dug-up-the-first-ever-uk-mcdonalds-menu-from-1974-guess-how-much-a-value-meal-cost-5198551/#ixzz4pvsGWS8y
    So the burger was 15p and equivalent to £1.30 which is €1.43

this below was 80s in the UK
    ad_169101136.jpg?w=620&h=900&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

don't knock it til you've tried it :D

:D

It just sounds weird but I'd give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

kylith wrote: »
    Have dim memories of being taken to one in Waterford in the 80s.

My dad doing the 'I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today' bit ad nauseum.

I'd forgotten about the Waterford Wimpy! I was treated to a one off visit as a young 'un.

When I moved to London in the early 90s, I would go to Wimpy twice a week, they did such a yummy veggie burger and I loved their toasted tea cake. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I have vague memories of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Definitely remember a Wimpy in Fermoy

The Wimpy in Stephen Street. Sligo way back when - there was one in O'Connell Street as well at one time. - oh yeah a Wimpy on Mail Coach road not so long back , about a year or so i think it was a Wimpy anyway

090_5d712bdaa522b85a3025eabeb2ad7bef86e8485f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

callaway92 wrote:
    Definitely remember a Wimpy in Fermoy

That wasn't that long ago was it?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was probably still there about 1999/2000 if I remember right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So I'm reading that Wimpy might making a comeback in The UK. I wonder there any chance of an ROI return too?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So I'm reading that Wimpy might making a comeback in The UK. I wonder there any chance of an ROI return too?

cool if it does - used to love wimpy food. just wondering though, would it be one of those scenarios that you go in there and expect it to taste like it did when you were a kid ... only to be disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

B0jangles wrote: »
    There was definitely a Wimpy in the petrol station just on the edge of Rathnew village, it was there within the last 10 years anyway. I just checked and the station's an applegreen, so no going on a Bender Egg Brunch lunch,followed by a Brown Derby for pudding for me today :(

here you go - street view from 2009:
    https://goo.gl/maps/T1WHWqQgbRB2

It had changed to Applegreen by the following year (according to Streetview, which is really like a time machine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Applegreen had the Irish master franchise. They dropped it to focus on burger king

L1011 wrote: »
    Applegreen had the Irish master franchise. They dropped it to focus on burger king

ah, interesting

mind you, makes sense seing as BK still do extensive advertising these days and is a gloabal brand known across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Wimpy are king in south africa anyway. Mcdonalds can't get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Markcheese wrote: »
    That wasn't that long ago was it?

Its still open in Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Its still open in Fermoy.

Appears to have no connection to the original brand anymore (if it ever did)

Advertisement