Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other car - 9 seater.

Options
  • 16-08-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I would like to find out, if liberty car insurance policy holder, who has "driving other cars" extension is cover to drive 9 seater vehicles?

Policy says "If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car........."

It has list of exclusions: 
    This extension applies while being driven within the territorial limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include: • vans; • car-vans; • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back; or • vans adapted to carry passengers

According to that, my understanding is that policy should cover driving 9 seater vehicles like ford transit, nissan primastar, VW shuttle/tranporter, etc when driven under "driving other cars" extension, considering such vehicles are private motor cars.
    They can be driven on normal B category licence and are of the same EU vehicle type of M1 as any other car. 

Could you clarify to confirm my understanding.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Kieron

CiniO wrote: »
    Hi.

I would like to find out, if liberty car insurance policy holder, who has "driving other cars" extension is cover to drive 9 seater vehicles?

Policy says "If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car........."

It has list of exclusions: 
    This extension applies while being driven within the territorial limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include: • vans; • car-vans; • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back; or • vans adapted to carry passengers

According to that, my understanding is that policy should cover driving 9 seater vehicles like ford transit, nissan primastar, VW shuttle/tranporter, etc when driven under "driving other cars" extension, considering such vehicles are private motor cars.
    They can be driven on normal B category licence and are of the same EU vehicle type of M1 as any other car. 

Could you clarify to confirm my understanding.
    Hi CiniO

I will check this information for you. 
    In the meantime, if you message me your policy number i will double check that the Driving Other Cars Extension is on your policy. 

Regards Kieran. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi CiniO

In the meantime, if you message me your policy number i will double check that the Driving Other Cars Extension is on your policy. 

Regards Kieran. 

Thanks Kieran.
    At the moment I don't have a policy with Liberty but I'm looking into purchasing one and that's why I would like to find out the answer to above question.
    Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Kieron

CiniO wrote: »
    Hi CiniO

Regards Kieran. 

Thanks Kieran.
    At the moment I don't have a policy with Liberty but I'm looking into purchasing one and that's why I would like to find out the answer to above question.
    Thanks.
    Hi CiniO,

Anything classed as a people carrier would be covered under the Driving Other Cars Extension. Anything classed as a minibus would not be covered by this extension. The definition of a people carrier compared to a minibus can be found on the Road Safety Authorities website:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/What-Category-is-my-vehicle/Cars/

I would advise all policyholders to check their certificate to make sure they have this extension as terms and conditions do apply.

Regards Kieran.

Advertisement