Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for older cars

Options
  • 16-08-2017 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all,

Im currently trying to insure my beloved 00D Audi TT and im having serious problems.. the car is only worth about €2000 at the most but every quote I manage to get is well over that.. most coming in at around €2400 or thereabouts.. Im at my witts end!! Last year it was €940 and im 34 with a full no claims bonus and 10 years full licence so I dont see what the huge problem is..

If anyone could suggest anything cheaper I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Would it qualify for a classic car policy anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

It's too young for classic for most company. Rate for renewal should be about 20% more than last year unfortunately

Pm me if u need help I'll try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

It seems no one will take you if it's over circa 15 yrs (14 yrs with aviva). You're trapped with them so they can abuse you.

I've a 96 colt, and the renewals the last few years are as follows:

2014 - €430
    2015 - €670
    2016 - €1,120 (now a classic - trapped with liberty insurance)
    2017 - €1,700 (let's bleed this motherfcuker)

Now at least with my car, they can argue that it's more dangerous being so old, but with your's I wouldn't be inclined to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Try First Ireland. I got it for 1100 this year and I tried everyone. Same car and similar profile however I was a current customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

pearcider wrote: »
    Try First Ireland. I got it for 1100 this year and I tried everyone. Same car and similar profile however I was a current customer.
    What yr is your car though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've heard some insurers will insure a TT up to 2001 as a classic once you have an existing policy. I was toying with the idea of getting one myself and insuring it as a classic alongside my daily driver. When I phoned Axa on Monday they said they'd insure a 00 one as a classic, rang back today and they said no it has to be over 25 years old. I think it really has to do with who you speak too. I'm gonna call into my local Axa office next week and have it out with them and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What age of vehicle do insurers use to classify a car as a classic ?

Would they use the motor tax "vintage" definition of 30 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    What age of vehicle do insurers use to classify a car as a classic ?

Would they use the motor tax "vintage" definition of 30 years ?

It was 15 up to last year, but now it has been pushed to 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

This is ridiculous and makes my blood boil. Are insurance companies not at all chastened since they were raided recently for suspected collusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,788 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is ridiculous and makes my blood boil. Are insurance companies not at all chastened since they were raided recently for suspected collusion?

The elephant in the room is there's no mention at all in the UK media of any drivers over there having the same issues insuring their older cars with the very same companies that are operating here and the very same cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The elephant in the room is there's no mention at all in the UK media of any drivers over there having the same issues insuring their older cars with the very same companies that are operating here and the very same cars.

There are 2 possible answers to that

Firstly, the CEOs of all the Irish Branches have gone rogue from their Head Offices and decided to act the maggot against the express instructions of their owners

or

The Head Offices of these insurers have examined the books of their Irish operation and instructed the local CEO on the action to take, given that our market is a basket case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

It's a joke alright - clear cartel behavior no pun intended. To the other poster my TT is also a year 2000. But as I said I was not a new customer for First Ireland. I got a quote for 1300 or so from 25plus but their policy is pretty crap compared to First Ireland (excess, no breakdown assist, bad customer service)

Advertisement