Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA electric bike 679 Euro

Options
  • 16-08-2017 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I had a go on one yesterday.
    Its like being on a motorbike.
    Foldable too so you can throw it in the boot.
    Seriously thinking of getting one for my 8 mile commute.
    Anyone else tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kyeev wrote: »
    Its like being on a motorbike.
    usual question - does it work without you needing to pedal it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

With a little 250w motor(not engine) it will offer a pedal-assisted range of up to 72km..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Its a street-legal spec so no, you will need to pedal it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Seems very cheap, but they are a good company for making adequate (and hackable) products at low prices.

I was wondering yesterday whether sales of electric bikes in Europe will ever rival sales of conventional bikes. I suspect they will.

(For adults. Not sure about market for electric bikes for children!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Seems very cheap, but they are a good company for making adequate (and hackable) products at low prices.

I was wondering yesterday whether sales of electric bikes in Europe will ever rival sales of conventional bikes. I suspect they will.

(For adults. Not sure about market for electric bikes for children!)

1/3 of bikes sold in Netherlands last year were electric bikes.

Yeah, I'd heard that sales were very high in the Netherlands and Germany. Didn't know they were that high. I saw some stats that suggested that electric bikes have devoured the market for what we call mopeds.

Of course, there's a huge pre-existing pool of conventional bikes in the Netherlands anyway, so the proportion of bikes in circulation might be pretty different. But that's very healthy sales, especially considering how many bike are bought in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I laugh when I read

"Weighing in at just 60 pounds"

There would be a huge market for light road bikes with a small motor that would help equalize levels in group spins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

You're not looking at it right.
    The weight that is important is the weight that can be lifted on and off a car boot mounted carrier i.e. the weight the car boot will support and the weight which a senior citizen can lift.

the big problem with electric bikes is that they have attracted a whole new demographic who no longer have springy bones and they are doing themselves serious injury when they fall off their bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

737max wrote: »
    You're not looking at it right.
    The weight that is important is the weight that can be lifted on and off a car boot mounted carrier i.e. the weight the car boot will support and the weight which a senior citizen can lift.

the big problem with electric bikes is that they have attracted a whole new demographic who no longer have springy bones and they are doing themselves serious injury when they fall off their bikes.

I think you are imaging problems what aren't actually there.

I'm not entirely sure why someone would transport an electric bike by car. There are better options like folding bikes, (even electric ones) and such.

Electric bikes IMO are mainly used by commuters who want to take some of the effort out of the commute or make a longer commute more doable on a daily basis.

Some more detail on the bike here..
    http://www.vienna.at/folkvaenlig-das-e-bike-von-ikea-im-test/4068908

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

There would be a huge market for light road bikes with a small motor that would help equalize levels in group spins

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/this-is-what-its-like-to-ride-a-bike-with-a-hidden-motor

beauf wrote: »

I'm not entirely sure why someone would transport an electric bike by car. There are better options like folding bikes, (even electric ones) and such.

Electric bikes IMO are mainly used by commuters who want to take some of the effort out of the commute or make a longer commute more doable on a daily basis.

No, my Colleagues and Neighbours are buying them here and they are using them for leisure, not everyday transport.
    All the students in the city are zooming around on tatty unassisted bikes and the working public generally only take public transport with a bike locked up at the train station for the last KM.

No, my Colleagues and Neighbours are buying them here and they are using them for leisure, not everyday transport.
    All the students in the city are zooming around on tatty unassisted bikes and the working public generally only take public transport with a bike locked up at the train station for the last KM.
    More than 12,000 cyclists a day commute into Dublin city

If you look at electric bikes, MTB and Fast light bikes are very much the minority. Most are heavy duty commuters. What they are selling
    (I assume) reflects what people are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Almost every 'grey nomad' camper van you see tootling around the country has an electric bike on a carrier on the back. Drive your house to a beautiful part of the country and then do a cycle your old bones can handle around said beauty spot. The continent is hopping with them.

You are arguing that what I'm seeing is not what I'm seeing.
    well-to-do people and especially older well-to-do older people here are returning to biking on pedelecs.
    The reports I've seen on German TV shows they are causing unexpected visits to hospitals becuase the old people keep falling off and breaking themselves.
    Most pedelecs here are 1200 to 1400 euro and nasty chinese 2-stroke mopeds can be bought for 800 in the same supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

How fast do these go with the motor? Sorry if it's answered on one of the linked websites.

Wheety wrote: »
    How fast do these go with the motor? Sorry if it's answered on one of the linked websites.

Almost every 'grey nomad' camper van you see tootling around the country has an electric bike on a carrier on the back. Drive your house to a beautiful part of the country and then do a cycle your old bones can handle around said beauty spot. The continent is hopping with them.

I've never done an anecdotal visual study of camper vans across Europe.

The Ikea non-electric bike might reflect cycling trends across Europe, I've never only ever seen one on the road here.

I reckon thats because its expensive for so basic a bike.
    You are arguing that what I'm seeing is not what I'm seeing.
    well-to-do people and especially older well-to-do older people here are returning to biking on pedelecs.
    The reports I've seen on German TV shows they are causing unexpected visits to hospitals becuase the old people keep falling off and breaking themselves.
    Most pedelecs here are 1200 to 1400 euro and nasty chinese 2-stroke mopeds can be bought for 800 in the same supermarkets.

I dunno what other experience, I should use. I've been window shopping for one for a long time. I've just never seen what you're describing here in the shops. So if its big here I dunno where they are selling them. I've seen one electric Dutch bike, but it was imported.

Perhaps there are some stats on eBike sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I've never done an anecdotal visual study of camper vans across Europe.

I have, and the answer is 1.29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Cycling is not just for young people, and electric bikes are not any more dangerous than standard bikes.
    Lots of people only get into cycling in middle age because they have had to give up on other sports after wrecking their joints during their youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yeah, I'd heard that sales were very high in the Netherlands and Germany. Didn't know they were that high. I saw some stats that suggested that electric bikes have devoured the market for what we call mopeds.
    I'm in Switzerland and electric bikes are very popular, I was kinda surprised. It is very warm here in the summer and it means people can get to work with less sweating. Lots of people cycle them to work here on non-mountainous routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

A friend of mine has Swiss relatives in their 60's. His auntie and uncle ride up hills together. Him on his road bike, her on her electric bike. He's an experienced rider, she isn't, but they get to ride together and I think that's great.

recedite wrote: »
    Cycling is not just for young people, and electric bikes are not any more dangerous than standard bikes.
    Lots of people only get into cycling in middle age because they have had to give up on other sports after wrecking their joints during their youth.
    This report which is in German disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This report which is in German disagrees.

Baaah...Germans ...they like to be alarmist and they like something to worry about (and possibly create new rules for) :DI am German...I'm allowed saying that

Yes, e-bikes enable people who wouldn't/couldn't ride a regular bike to keep on or to re-pick up cycling.
    Yes, some of them are going to have an accident with their bike and the frailer/more unfit they are the worse the consequences are going to be.

But ...e-bikes enable people who wouldn't / couldn't ride a regular bike to cycle ...and for the vast majority of them that's a very positive thing, keeping them fitter and more active for longer.
    And I'm not just talking about old(er) people ...lots of unfit young(er) people out there as well.

and to come back tho the IKEA bike:
    The OP mentioned something about it being foldable ...so I don't think that's the same bike as linked to in the second post, or is it?

My neighbour who will be married to his darling wife for 50 years next year has had his wrist bandaged for the last few weeks after a bicycle accident.
    The bike is wrecked.
    Old people take longer to heal.

Speaking of which, Brompton's electric folder due out shortly. Very cleverly engineered, very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Would this/IKEA be available under bike to work scheme?

I think the risks involved with pedelecs are maybe overstated. I'm sure there has been a large increase in older people being injured on them, because there's been a large increase in older people using pedelecs. Being active carries a risk of injury. Being inactive carries a much greater risk of earlier death.

If older people are being injured non-trivially because they're travelling at 25km/h when their reactions aren't up to it, that needs to be looked at, rather than lamenting the increase in use of pedelecs. Maybe just advise them to keep speeds to 15km/h or something.

Maybe just advise them to keep speeds to 15km/h or something.
    Getting my neighbour to dismount before crossing a zebra crossing would be a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My neighbour who will be married to his darling wife for 50 years next year has had his wrist bandaged for the last few weeks after a bicycle accident.
    The bike is wrecked.
    Old people take longer to heal.

My dad, who had his golden wedding anniversary three years ago, overcame cancer two years ago, had a sore arse for three days :D
    .... because he cycled 80 km to visit my brother and back home the next day on his e-bike.

He is in his late 70's, fitter than me and my inspiration to get an e-bike myself.

Advertisement