Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA electric bike 679 Euro

Options
2»

Comments

See a man of a mature vintage regularly enough heading for Tesco high vis and helmet and all on a route I take with the dog and wee one for a walk. Never paid any mind apart from fair play to him and chapeau never got a good look at what he was on . It was only the other day when I clocked him coming towards us at a fair tilt did I realise he actually had a very nice ebike.

Said before on here, if they get people like that or keep people like that on a bike they are a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I'm in my seventies and still managing my 5k+ every year. I see a time coming when an ebike would be just the thing for me. It would make climbing up to Bellewstown a little easier 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

737max wrote: »
    My neighbour who will be married to his darling wife for 50 years next year has had his wrist bandaged for the last few weeks after a bicycle accident.
    The bike is wrecked.
    Old people take longer to heal.

Bones and skin take longer to heal after about 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

This is the new bike.
    Foldable which is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

(This is the bike I tried out a couple of days ago in IKEA)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think that might be an earlier concept. The one in the other video doesn't look fold-able. I could be wrong.

Any one spot many at sportive's ???? I've only rode one so can't say. Be great for participation on the 50-60km routes. Though you'd surely get a few who'd view them as motor doping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

You're not looking at it right.
    The weight that is important is the weight that can be lifted on and off a car boot mounted carrier i.e. the weight the car boot will support and the weight which a senior citizen can lift.

the big problem with electric bikes is that they have attracted a whole new demographic who no longer have springy bones and they are doing themselves serious injury when they fall off their bikes.

They are doing themselves a hell of a lot of good when they stay on them as of course most will do. Excercise fresh air etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

My neighbour who will be married to his darling wife for 50 years next year has had his wrist bandaged for the last few weeks after a bicycle accident.
    The bike is wrecked.
    Old people take longer to heal.

A friend of mine tripped over the hoover and broke several bones, hoover is fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭plodder

You are arguing that what I'm seeing is not what I'm seeing.
    well-to-do people and especially older well-to-do older people here are returning to biking on pedelecs.
    The reports I've seen on German TV shows they are causing unexpected visits to hospitals becuase the old people keep falling off and breaking themselves.
    Most pedelecs here are 1200 to 1400 euro and nasty chinese 2-stroke mopeds can be bought for 800 in the same supermarkets.
    I noticed both of that in Germany last year, ie large number of older people on pedelecs, and one case of a woman falling off. I think the media are always going to emphasise the downsides though, and most of the elderly users that I saw, looked well fit enough to use them and were probably active enough all their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Patser wrote: »
    Would this/IKEA be available under bike to work scheme?
    more than likely. This is the irish law on pedelecs that qualify for the scheme.
    ‘ pedelec ’ means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

I am still not sure if that is a legal requirement for all pedelecs on the road. I saw some article suggesting there might be no explicit speed limit in Irish law -but that the 25km/h is EU regulation.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    If older people are being injured non-trivially because they're travelling at 25km/h when their reactions aren't up to it, that needs to be looked at, rather than lamenting the increase in use of pedelecs. Maybe just advise them to keep speeds to 15km/h or something.
    It would be good if you could set the limit lower as to when assistance stops.

People go on about people whizzing around on ebikes, if it is the usual one restricted to 25km/hr then it is sort of self regulating, once higher than that speed the power cuts out and you are left with a heavy bike which is hard to build up any more speed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be good if you could set the limit lower as to when assistance stops.

Effectively you can by choosing a lower level of assistance - yes its not the same thing, but it does require you to work harder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kyeev wrote: »
    (This is the bike I tried out a couple of days ago in IKEA)

Looks like a pretty decent piece of kit for the money. A bike that folds without being dinky like pretty much every other folding bike I've ever seen...worth a second look.

The battery, both size and position is something I'd like to know more about though.
    First of all, it seems to make it impossible to put a rack on this bike...no biggie...but some people likes their racks.
    Secondly, it looks a bit small, so capacity (and therefore range) might not be all that much.

Personally, I'd like to take it for a test drive before committing to an opinion.
    Hub motors can be a bit weak on hills. Now, lots of hub motors comply with the 250 W nominal power regulation while still putting out enough peak power to get you up a hill comfortably and without overheating.
    This one though (just going by optics) looks a bit small and might lack the ooomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Anyone have a link for the bike on IKEA website? I had a quick browse but I couldn't see the folding bike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In this video you can get a pretty good look at the writing on the battery.

It says 36V, 8.7Ah, 313Wh.

That's pretty low... most entry level batteries these days have 10.4Ah /370 Wh, good ones have 13 Ah/ ~500 Wh or more ...but then again, a replacement battery there costs as much as the whole Ikea bike:D

I'd say (I'd guess..could be wrong) the Ikea bike battery would give a range of roundabout 30+ km on average...probably enough for a folding bike.
    Perhaps there will be an option for a bigger battery...but then again, it's awkwardly placed...this battery might be all there is room for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Patser wrote: »
    Would this/IKEA be available under bike to work scheme?
    i think this might have come up before, and iirc there was scepticism as ikea might not issue invoices to enable the btw transaction? i probably remember that incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

peasant wrote: »
    In this video you can get a pretty good look at the writing on the battery.

It says 36V, 8.7Ah, 313Wh.
    Also it says 10A "continuous discharge" and 13a for short bursts or "pulse discharge".
    As watts = amps x volts, that indicates 468W as the maximum theoretical power for the first 10 minutes of your spin (36V x 13A) .
    360W for continous discharge.
    The stated 313Wh on the battery corresponds to the 8.7A at 36V so I think that means it should be able to average 313 watts over the hour.

The Nissan Leaf car uses a lithium ion battery too, so they are a good battery.

By way of comparison, Chris Froome's max power output has been rated at 525W. So combined with your own measly power output, that extra 313W from the battery should help bridge the gap. Although his bike is a good bit lighter than the Ikea pedelec, which means he will still beat you on a hill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

homer911 wrote: »
    Effectively you can by choosing a lower level of assistance - yes its not the same thing, but it does require you to work harder

There's no artificial limit on how fast you can go down a hill...

Advertisement