Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical: Blatant Non Disclosure.

Options
  • 16-08-2017 9:13am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In another thread a poster is claiming it's impossible get cover for a remapped car. Says they paid additional premiums for years but insurer (Liberty) wrote and declined to offer renewal terms.

They are also saying they won't now disclose despite having paid additional premiums to cover this performance modification in the past.

2 questions:-

1/. What would happen in the event of a claim and discovery of this non disclosure? I'm assuming any 3rd party claims would be paid, and that the policy could/would be voided and the proposer chased financially for anything paid out?

2/. Would they have been obliged to disclose the previous insurers decision not to renew? I reckon they are.

Any other thoughts? If they are correct in saying it's impossible to get cover for remapped cars I think there's a big problem in the system, as such modifications are pretty commonplace.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Another thought is would the proposer be guilty of fraud by obtaining insurance by deception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In another thread a poster is claiming it's impossible get cover for a remapped car. Says they paid additional premiums for years but insurer (Liberty) wrote and declined to offer renewal terms.

They are also saying they won't now disclose despite having paid additional premiums to cover this performance modification in the past.

2 questions:-

1/. What would happen in the event of a claim and discovery of this non disclosure? I'm assuming any 3rd party claims would be paid, and that the policy could/would be voided and the proposer chased financially for anything paid out?

2/. Would they have been obliged to disclose the previous insurers decision not to renew? I reckon they are.

Any other thoughts? If they are correct in saying it's impossible to get cover for remapped cars I think there's a big problem in the system, as such modifications are pretty commonplace.

Answer is yes to both questions.

Liberty though cannot get away with not offering renewal terms once the car is the same, they were aware of the mods, charged for and accepted same.

They are just chancing their arm in the hopes the policyholder goes away. There is no way in hell the FSO would let them away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Insurer may void policy ab initio thus from inception date of customers policy/last renewal date. No claim paid

If the remap was done by ford on ford etc and certified why they done same then it can be done. Have had GTi golfs and ST Focus cases before

Some insurer will re-code car for example to RS spec if BHP is reached

Almost 200 cars for sale on donedeal advertised as "remapped". Lot's of tuners advertising for business too.

I had a look at Chipped Ireland's website www.chippedire.com

Under "What about my insurance" they reply - "This is up to you. We have to advise that you inform your insurance companies that the remap has been carried out but as there is no way for them to read this map, it is up to you what you do. It is your responsibility."

To me at least that's pretty ambiguous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement