Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warned for incivility

Options
  • 16-08-2017 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was warned for incivility for the following post:
    If some random person disagreeing with you* and calling you a nazi is genuinely enough to make you become a nazi just to spite them, then you are a grade-A moron.

Alternatively you were only hair's breadth from being a nazi to begin with.

*non-specific 'you' btw.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104382264&postcount=471

I contacted the mod in question to point out that I had made it as clear as I could (by using a footnote) that I was using the non-specific 'you' as a short-hand for 'if a person does x' and was not aiming it at anyone in particular, but was told by them to bring my dispute here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for confirming that you have attempted to resolve with the moderator. I will bring this to the attention of the CMods.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hi B0jangles, I will take a look at this. You might forward the relevant PM from the moderator who referred you here. I will attempt to take matters from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hi Pat,

I've forwarded the PMs you you now,

thanks

B0jangles

Thanks for those, B0jangles. I will take a look.

I've taken a long look at this and I've had a discussion with the moderator who issued the warning.

The short answer is that I would uphold the card. The longer explanation is below.

I see that you expressly stated that your post was not directed at the poster who was quoted in your post. I don't see any reason to doubt what you say in that regard.

However, the reason that the card is being upheld is in relation to posting standards on the thread. On the first page of the thread, there was a moderator warning from ancapailldorcha, asking all posters to read the Politics forum charter before posting.

From the charter:
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.

It seems that the thread in question encountered several problems, to include many off topic posts and posts which were not up the standard required in the forum charter. There were a number of moderator warnings that went unheeded and a decision was made to issue cards and carry on rather than close the thread. Several of these warnings referred to standards required; in relation to one-liners and dumping news links.

If this yellow card was earned in a forum with light-touch moderation, I think that it would be likely to be overturned. However, Politics is a forum with strict moderation and a forum charter that requires a high standard of posting. Furthermore, there was a problematic thread with warnings being ignored.

Looking at your post again:
    B0jangles wrote: »
    If some random person disagreeing with you* and calling you a nazi is genuinely enough to make you become a nazi just to spite them, then you are a grade-A moron.

Alternatively you were only hair's breadth from being a nazi to begin with.

*non-specific 'you' btw.

The moderator decision to issue a card is upheld on the basis of the standard of posting required in that forum.

You can appeal this to Admins, if you would like to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hi Pat, thank you for the response and the explanation of the reasoning.

Im not going to take it any further as I do not think there is really much point in doing so.

I took that poster's comment as it was and responded to it using similar language, but very specifically and intentionally, I did not use personally abusive language. This apparently is not enough. If you look at my posting history in politics, I have always tried to contribute in a constructive and informative way. This apparently is not enough.

At this point I am somewhat at a loss as to what constitutes 'a high standard of posting', and I think in future I will probably be wary of posting in Politics at all, as I do not know what is wanted or expected of me as a poster.

thanks

B0jangles.

B0jangles,

I can see that my decision is disappointing. I would add that I think that there is nothing to lose by appealing to Admins, in this case. It is possible that Admins will take a different view to mine, which is okay by me.

Pat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement