Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early pubs

Options
  • 16-08-2017 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hitting Galway this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows what pubs open early (as in before 11am) Saturday mornings there? Does Barr an Chaladh still open early? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Officially, none of them open before 10:30am.

Unofficially .. you're in the right neighbourhood, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Are market and harbour licences a thing of the past?

I know that a former lessee in what used to be called Padraic's (dunno what it's called now), is supposed to have done something which caused it to lose its harbour licence maybe 10 or more years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Officially, none of them open before 10:30am.

Unofficially .. you're in the right neighbourhood, anyways.

Thanks, I was in that neighborhood last year at 9am getting my fill alright, just wondering if it's still that type of neighborhood! :pac:
    ?Cee?view wrote: »

I know that a former lessee in what used to be called Padraic's (dunno what it's called now), is supposed to have done something which caused it to lose its harbour licence maybe 10 or more years ago.

Those licences are still a thing alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I think in Woodquay there used to be market licences in some pubs, so if they're still a thing, then some could open there legally. If I recall correctly, those that had market or harbour licences kept them once the new law came in, but if the licence was moved or lost, it just reverted to an ordinary 7 day licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Hi, I'm hitting Galway this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows what pubs open early (as in before 11am) Saturday mornings there? Does Barr an Chaladh still open early? Cheers.

Planning quite the bender................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Planning quite the bender................

I just like my early morning tipple :pac:

AFAIK there are no market licenses in Woodquay any more. However there is a that seems to act as though he has a market license. And of course back lanes mean back doors ...

I believe that a pub on High St still has a market license, but chooses not to use it. My guess is that he doesn't want the auld boys who hang out in Woodquay in the early morning in his pub.

?Cee?view wrote: »

For some unknown reason the pubs in Galway who had dock/market licences have allowed them to lapse it appears and they are really missing a trick. There are a number of pubs in Cork that open at 7am mon - sat (no early licence on Sundays) and I go into one of them sometimes from about 8am and they are packed and great craic. I counted 40 people in one at 8:20am one Saturday morning. That's serious business and if Galway had one it would get crowds too.

They have a strict no wino etc policy so you won't get any of that sort in them either as suggested in the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

For some unknown reason the pubs in Galway who had dock/market licences have allowed them to lapse it appears and they are really missing a trick. There are a number of pubs in Cork that open at 7am mon - sat (no early licence on Sundays) and I go into one of them sometimes from about 8am and they are packed and great craic. I counted 40 people in one at 8:20am one Saturday morning. That's serious business and if Galway had one it would get crowds too.

They have a strict no wino etc policy so you won't get any of that sort in them either as suggested in the post above.

Ah ya it's only the finest of folk who go for a flake of pints at 8am sure!!!

Ah ya it's only the finest of folk who go for a flake of pints at 8am sure!!!

Ironically, some of the lads who want early pints are on stags - and are fine folk the rest of the time. And some are perfectly fine shift-workers, too.

I don't know where nox got the reference to winos from. I specifically said "auld lads" specifically meaning retired men who do their drinking early in the day and are tucked up at home by the time that most fine folk are ready for a quiet pint in the evening. A few sometimes look rough, for sure. But many don't. And they aren't street-drinkers. However they aren't good candidates for a pub that has the toilets downstairs.

• Advertisement

Ironically, some of the lads who want early pints are on stags - and are fine folk the rest of the time. And some are perfectly fine shift-workers, too.

I don't know where nox got the reference to winos from. I specifically said "auld lads" specifically meaning retired men who do their drinking early in the day and are tucked up at home by the time that most fine folk are ready for a quiet pint in the evening. A few sometimes look rough, for sure. But many don't. And they aren't street-drinkers. However they aren't good candidates for a pub that has the toilets downstairs.

Sorry I took it up to mean winos.

Yes what you describe above is exactly the type who are in early houses. At weekends its a few regular auld lads and the people on weekends away, groups of lads out for the craic etc. During the week it tends to be shift workers having a pint or two on the way home from work same as a person would in the evening after work (and the regular auld lads).

Advertisement