Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Tyres before race??

Options
  • 16-08-2017 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I have a race this sunday on which I really wouldn't like to flat.

Due to the commuter being stolen I've been riding the "good" bike to work.

Seem to have picked up a few small nicks on the tyres.

They have around 2,000 kms in them maybe more.

I'm a tight arse and don't want to waste €70 if I can avoid it.

Also is there a "breaking in" period for new tyres??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

New tyres on for race then back to old ones? keep just for races

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have never found it but some say certain tyres need a bit of riding to get the new tyre coating off them and reduce slipperiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I find GP4000 tyres to be quite sticky when brand new

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have never found it but some say certain tyres need a bit of riding to get the new tyre coating off them and reduce slipperiness.
    in relation to car tyres, i once asked about this when getting new tyres. the mechanic was sceptical - he reckoned that what people think takes 100km of driving, actually only takes a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

You need 2 pairs of wheels - race wheels only used for racing, others used for training commuting etc.

Swap them as needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Depends if it's going to be a wet or dry race. You know, a set slicks if it's dry and treads for the wet, and if course intermediates if you are truly serious.

Advertisement