Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Furniture Insurance?

• 16-08-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering would people recommend paying the extra €199 when buying a suite from Harvey Norman, to cover the Guardsman protection?

It says it covers all accidental stains... but is paying that worth it?? The suite is lightish in colour and the house has children. I haven't committed to it just yet but wondering should I leave it and cross that bridge of paying to have it cleaned when I come to it. Staff in HN said this sofa cannot be sprayed in advance.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just to gouge that little bit more money out of the customer. What are they going to do if there is a stain on the couch? Replace it? Highly doubtful. More like they will pay to have the couch cleaned which you can do yourself for probably less than €200. Buy the couch and tell your children to keep their mucky feet off it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This is like the sales pitch for an extended warranty in electrical stores. It's basically terrible value for money because a large slice of your cash will go in commission to the salesman and the store, hence the hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ladybird111

Thanks for the feedback, was trying to gauge whether it would be worth it or not. As far as I know they send u out a bottle of cleaner as the first solution for stains...was thinking I could surely find same cleaner online?? Does anyone have any positive experience with this or is the consensus to say thanks but no thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Trust me; they are trying to get you to buy the extended warranty.
    I know first hand what HN do to get their staff to get customers to buy them. They are basically warned if they don't get them, their job is at risk.

So do you think it's not worth getting fussyonion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I have that on a light coloured sofa and to be honest its come in handy already in the first year i've had it. I'd try negotiate the price down though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

30% of the 199 goes to the sales person, 30% goes to HN profits and the balance goes for the insurance.

And if you have a claim they will do their damnest to get out of it.

I'd buy this and keep the furniture looking good at all times and have the ability to deal with accidents immediately https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_First_Aid_Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I bought furniture from HN last year and decided absolutely not to buy this "insurance". Instead I went online and bought 2 cans of Scotchguard. I think it cost me about €25 and I sprayed the furniture myself. There is lots of advice online. I have had spills on the furniture since then and everything wiped right off so my furniture à year on is holding up and still stain free.

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I bought furniture from HN last year and decided absolutely not to buy this "insurance". Instead I went online and bought 2 cans of Scotchguard. I think it cost me about €25 and I sprayed the furniture myself. There is lots of advice online. I have had spills on the furniture since then and everything wiped right off so my furniture à year on is holding up and still stain free.

Thanks for the advice! Do you mind me asking what sort of material your suite is? I asked the staff in HN could you spray our suite and he said no, now not saying I'd take him at face value! It's not a shiny leather it's more of a soft "leather look" if that makes sense...

Thanks also above for link to cleaning kit, looks much more worth my while to invest in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Got sofa insurance with another furniture crowd . It was only a few quid a month for a year but the warranty lasted 5 years. The guy said it was a 100% no quibble policy and covered everything to get it back as new. TBH I had a look over the policy and there weren't any sneaky exclusions.
    You could take the fine print and tell him you'd have to read the policy and then get back to him. That's what I did after purchasing the sofa.

Didn't need the insurance in the end, but hey, that's insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Sorry about the late reply. My sofa is a very light grey cloth fabric.

Advertisement