Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using annual leave for doctors appointment

Options
  • 16-08-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

I need to attend a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks. However I'm being told that the hours I miss have to be taken from my annual leave.

I don't want to do that and I want to use it as a sick day. I don't really care if I get paid for it I just don't want to use up a day of my very few holidays sitting in a hospital.

I provided the doctor's letter but still being told that I have to go through annual leave.

Is the employer allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sick leave is for conditions relating to incapacity for work due to sickness or injury. That's not the case in this instance, it's no different to taking a day off to have your car serviced.

You could ask them for the day to be taken as unpaid leave instead of annual leave, but they're under no obligation to accept that.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's bad form from the employer. It's sick leave (or an equivalent preventing you from work ahead of time)..whether they pay sick leave or not, this shouldn't be taken from your AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nope - its not sick leave its an appointment.

you dont own own sick days you can take when you like. thats not how it works.

your employer is completely within their rights here. in my job i would offer to make up lost time working late etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Given that the company you work for is in your posting history, it's normal for them to use your holiday balance for appointments. There's no other dispensation other than getting a shift swap and work a different day and have a colleague work your day for you.

Advertisement