Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset not working - Argos being stubborn

Options
  • 16-08-2017 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    I purchased a headset for the Xbox One in January and had nothing but trouble with it. The original price of the headset was over €300, but it was reduced to €170.

1. Battery Life of the headset is half of what's advertised.
    2. Chat annoys party members with echo and low volume.
    3. It's wireless and it cuts audio once an hour.

I went to Argos back in Spring to get a replacement/refund, but they insisted that I go through the manufacturer instead.

I contacted the manufacturer and they offered to "test it" if I send it in with tracked and insured shipping (which was around €25).

I refused this and instead gave it to colleague from work, so he could do a rollback of the firmware, as I had trouble doing this myself.

When I got it back after 10 days it didn't cut audio out anymore and the echo was reduced.

Recently those problems came back and another problem was added. The headset "locks up" and can't be turned off. I need to let it discharge the battery before I can use it again.

I contacted the manufacturer again and they again want me to ship the headset for testing, for another €25 for shipping.

So I went to Argos to explain and asked for a refund, store credit or a different headset. They refused. They offered to give me another of the same headsets, if I prove to them that the manufacturer admitted a fault with the headset?!
    They literally said that I need to have something in writing from the manufacturer in which they admit the headset is faulty. That's not gonna happen.

In my opinion, this is not fit for purpose. Battery life is not as advertised, chat can't be used, audio cuts out frequently.

I'm a bit confused why Argos can redirect their responsibility to the manufacturer who require me to pay €25 for them to test it in the UK.
    Isn't my contract with Argos? Why can they redirect me to the manufacturer or am I being taken for a ride?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Argos can suggest that you deal directly with the manufacturer as it will be quicker, but they cannot insist on it. You bought it there, so your contract is with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

Thanks.

Phew! So I'm not unreasonable.

I'm going to contact their head office via email. If this doesn't help, I'm trying small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd have expected the manufacturer to have refunded you the postage the first time round given that it was obviously defective.

Argos can most definitely not insist on you getting a report from the manufacturer that it is damaged. They can tell you that they will take it in, and it will be sent to the manufacturer to be checked, and they will only offer a repair or refund once they receive the manufacturer's report.

seagull wrote: »
    I'd have expected the manufacturer to have refunded you the postage the first time round given that it was obviously defective.

Argos can most definitely not insist on you getting a report from the manufacturer that it is damaged. They can tell you that they will take it in, and it will be sent to the manufacturer to be checked, and they will only offer a repair or refund once they receive the manufacturer's report.

I questioned the manager who told me to present something in writing from the manufacturer that would say that the headset is faulty. Otherwise he couldn't accept it as they had an agreement with the manufacturer that they handle all defective headsets.

The manufacturer was pretty clear that I have to carry the costs of the tracked and insured shipping after I protested.
    I quote their email
    Unfortunately, we are not in Ireland. We will cover the cost of testing/repair and sending it back to you, but you would need to send it to us, as per our warranty policy.

This is such a screwed up situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks.

Phew! So I'm not unreasonable.

I'm going to contact their head office via email. If this doesn't help, I'm trying small claims court.

How did this go?

• Advertisement

I'm going to let you know. I sent an email to them today (after asking them how to complain), outlining what happened, and providing proof that I contacted the manufacturer's support and addressed the issues.
    I asked from Argos for repair until in fully working condition, refund, or replacement of different make and model.

So I'm trying to exclude that they issue me a replacement of the same, because I'm pretty sure the device is not fit for purpose, as a lot of people seem to have the issues I'm experiencing. If I'd accept a replacement, then I would have to possibly deal with the replacement developing similar issues over time and going through this again. If I get my headset repaired, then I can more or less rely on the issues having actually being fixed.

I read before purchasing it, that the mic is not the best and that the mic output of it is low. That was somewhat fine by me, but what I haven't read about before was that the mic produces an awful echo in the party chat whenever someone else is talking. That makes it unusable in party chat, because I'm annoying everyone else. The echo, the much shorter battery life and the headset cutting out frequently are issues I can't ignore.

Not sure how this will go though, they might have the right to offer me a replacement, but then it might all starts anew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I questioned the manager who told me to present something in writing from the manufacturer that would say that the headset is faulty. Otherwise he couldn't accept it as they had an agreement with the manufacturer that they handle all defective headsets.

The manufacturer was pretty clear that I have to carry the costs of the tracked and insured shipping after I protested.
    I quote their email

This is such a screwed up situation.

That's complete nonsense. The manufacturer aren't in Ireland, but you didn't buy it off them, you bought it off Argos who are, and they should be dealing with it.

If this does end up in the small claims court I'd be including the €25 costs you incurred because Argos refused to deal with the issue. Weird, they're usually pretty good on returns

MOH wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense. The manufacturer aren't in Ireland, but you didn't buy it off them, you bought it off Argos who are, and they should be dealing with it.

If this does end up in the small claims court I'd be including the €25 costs you incurred because Argos refused to deal with the issue. Weird, they're usually pretty good on returns

I just realised that I made a mistake in the first post. There is a sentence missing. I've never sent it to the manufacturer. I refused to do that.

I had the IT guy from work performing a rollback of the firmware of the headset, which was a suggested by the manufacturer's support, but I couldn't do it myself, because my computer didn't recognise the headset. I got it back from him after a week and the problems were initially gone, but new issues were introduced and eventually the old problems returned with a vengeance.

I'm going to try to edit my first posting to reflect this.

Maybe this didn't come across because of this, but my frustration with the manufacturer comes from them not providing any sort of meaningful support via email. The only way they provider better support than anything that can be found on their help sites and forums, is to pay shipping to them for "testing" (note that they don't say "repair"). I'm used to cs trying a few meaningful things before making a customer be without their new devices for weeks.

What I don't understand when Argos requested that I provide something written from the manufacturer that they're at fault, so they swap the headset, is, how would that even work? If the manufacturer admitted a fault to, then they would have had to inspect the headset in the first place and then they would repaired it. So Argos created a situation which would never happen. It's so weird.

I just realised that I made a mistake in the first post. There is a sentence missing. I've never sent it to the manufacturer. I refused to do that.

I had the IT guy from work performing a rollback of the firmware of the headset, which was a suggested by the manufacturer's support, but I couldn't do it myself, because my computer didn't recognise the headset. I got it back from him after a week and the problems were initially gone, but new issues were introduced and eventually the old problems returned with a vengeance.

I'm going to try to edit my first posting to reflect this.

Maybe this didn't come across because of this, but my frustration with the manufacturer comes from them not providing any sort of meaningful support via email. The only way they provider better support than anything that can be found on their help sites and forums, is to pay shipping to them for "testing" (note that they don't say "repair"). I'm used to cs trying a few meaningful things before making a customer be without their new devices for weeks.

What I don't understand when Argos requested that I provide something written from the manufacturer that they're at fault, so they swap the headset, is, how would that even work? If the manufacturer admitted a fault to, then they would have had to inspect the headset in the first place and then they would repaired it. So Argos created a situation which would never happen. It's so weird.

So to confirm you haven't sent it off at all, at this point neither argos or the manufacturer have done any of the 3 R's?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

What make are the headset.guessing if they were originally 300 they are probably astros.friend of mine has them she has lots of problems with hers.

• Advertisement

What make are the headset.guessing if they were originally 300 they are probably astros.friend of mine has them she has lots of problems with hers.

Yup. Astro A50 Gen 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Do Argos have social media? Facebook maybe? Often gets their attention when all else fails.

So to confirm you haven't sent it off at all, at this point neither argos or the manufacturer have done any of the 3 R's?

Yes, I've never sent them off to the manufacturer. I only carried them to two different Argos stores and had phone conversations with customer support.
    Argos refused to take them and redirected me to Astro.

Sorry about the confusion. My initial posting was a bit longer and I cut sentences out before posting to improve readability. There is a whole subplot here where I had issues on rolling back the firmware, and later purchasing cables and chargers to make the thing going. So there a little more effort and drama to this, but I tried to keep it short.

I would reckon that I contacted/visited Argos on this about 3 to 5 times and was in touch with the manufacturer twice as much. No 3 Rs. They were really reluctant to accept the headset back.

I know I made the mistake of waiting, but I had Turtle Beach headsets before for 10 years. There's a sticker in their box that says "If you got trouble with the headset, don't take it back to the store, contact us and we help." And they really do help for free and fast. They replace headsets faster than you can get an order from Amazon delivered. So I thought that this was similar with the manufacturer of the new headset, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Yes, I've never sent them off to the manufacturer. I only carried them to two different Argos stores and had phone conversations with customer support.
    Argos refused to take them and redirected me to Astro.

Sorry about the confusion. My initial posting was a bit longer and I cut sentences out before posting to improve readability. There is a whole subplot here where I had issues on rolling back the firmware, and later purchasing cables and chargers to make the thing going. So there a little more effort and drama to this, but I tried to keep it short.

I would reckon that I contacted/visited Argos on this about 3 to 5 times and was in touch with the manufacturer twice as much. No 3 Rs. They were really reluctant to accept the headset back.

I know I made the mistake of waiting, but I had Turtle Beach headsets before for 10 years. There's a sticker in their box that says "If you got trouble with the headset, don't take it back to the store, contact us and we help." And they really do help for free and fast. They replace headsets faster than you can get an order from Amazon delivered. So I thought that this was similar with the manufacturer of the new headset, but no.

Same with my friend think hers were a40s said she regretted switch from turtle beach.she had a problem with the mic on hers.for a headset that cost normally 300 euro plus they dont seem to very well made tbh

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Do Argos have social media? Facebook maybe? Often gets their attention when all else fails.

That's what I did in the past, but I came to dislike it for several reasons. I've followed the advice here from the helpful people on the boards and filed a complaint. Next stop smalls claims court if that doesn't help.

Retailers need to learn their responsibilities. What really gets under my skin here is, that I buy from Argos to support local jobs instead from buying from Amazon, which have amazing support. Never had an issue when something didn't work. They step up.
    Joke's on me though, the people at the local store treated me like I'm trying to pull off the crime of the century or something. That's never going to happen to me again.

So before I go on social media, I rather file(d) a complaint about the problem and the treatment I received, in hope somewhere there cares enough to realise that this how they lose their customers in the long run.

So you didn't send it for repair so when you tell them that it should be easier to sort it out.

So you didn't send it for repair so when you tell them that it should be easier to sort it out.

Yes, exactly. I'm totally fine with the thing being repaired, I'm not fine with paying 20 to 30 euros for THE CHANCE of the headsets being repaired.
    What raised my alarm bells when dealing with the manufacturer's cs was that they said I should send them in for "testing". Note, they didn't say repair.

What raised my alarm bells when dealing with the manufacturer's cs was that they said I should send them in for "testing". Note, they didn't say repair.

Yeah that's perfectly normal. It has to be tested to see what the fault is and what caused it, if they said repair and it was a fault caused by the customer then they would have a problem.
    It literally means "we will test it to see if it's our fault and we will then decide if we will repair or replace it for you"

Yeah that's perfectly normal. It has to be tested to see what the fault is and what caused it, if they said repair and it was a fault caused by the customer then they would have a problem.
    It literally means "we will test it to see if it's our fault and we will then decide if we will repair or replace it for you"

Tell that to me two years ago, when I had to send in my samsung phone four times to get something fixed. They never found an error during their testing. Weirdly, the phone would switch off by itself a few minutes after I turned it on at home.
    I had to film the error happening with another phone and send it to them before they repaired it. It took months until it was sorted.
    Of course I wouldn't risk that having to pay money for shipping abroad each time.
    Nothing about this seems normal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tell that to me two years ago, when I had to send in my samsung phone four times to get something fixed. They never found an error during their testing. Weirdly, the phone would switch off by itself a few minutes after I turned it on at home.
    I had to film the error happening with another phone and send it to them before they repaired it. It took months until it was sorted.
    Of course I wouldn't risk that having to pay money for shipping abroad each time.
    Nothing about this seems normal to me.

I've usually had things sent to manufacturer where they would first test it. Obviously if they couldn't replicate the issue, a video of it happening would be proof on your end. However, in your case the problem would be quiet easy to replicate.

Anyhow, that doesn't matter. The fact is you bought the item off Argos, therefore they are the only one's you should be dealing with.

I'd get onto them through their social media channels, or send a registered letter to their head office and give them x days to respond. If they fail to response or refuse to take the item off you, then small claims court.

The CCPC has a couple of letter templates for such situation. It's how I managed to get a refund off Ryanair, of all companies. Between the letter and constant tweets to them on Twitter.

Here are the templates:
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaint-letter-templates/

Best of luck and keep us updated.

• Advertisement

I've usually had things sent to manufacturer where they would first test it. Obviously if they couldn't replicate the issue, a video of it happening would be proof on your end. However, in your case the problem would be quiet easy to replicate.

Anyhow, that doesn't matter. The fact is you bought the item off Argos, therefore they are the only one's you should be dealing with.

I'd get onto them through their social media channels, or send a registered letter to their head office and give them x days to respond. If they fail to response or refuse to take the item off you, then small claims court.

The CCPC has a couple of letter templates for such situation. It's how I managed to get a refund off Ryanair, of all companies. Between the letter and constant tweets to them on Twitter.

Here are the templates:
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaint-letter-templates/

Best of luck and keep us updated.

I'm fine with sending items that need repairs for testing to the manufacturer as long I don't have to pay for it. Paying for it changes everything for me. I would never have purchased the headset in the first place, if it wouldn't have been reduced from €370 to €170. If I now add €25 for shipping to it, then I'm already at €195. Let's say they can't reproduce one of the three issues, then I have to do send it in again. Another €25. Now the headset costs more than the device I'm using it on (Xbox One). That's insane and should not be allowed in the first place.

Thanks for templates and the tips! I asked Argos what their complaints procedure to Argos is and they told me that I should send an email. I've done that today and asked them to get back to me within 10 business days.
    If that doesn't work, I'm going to ask on social media about the status of my complaint and if that doesn't work, I'm going through the small claims court.

You sent a complaint?
    Did you actually go in and tell them that you didn't send it off for repair in the first place and would like them to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just wondering would his friend doing what he did void the warranty not that I would mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hey folks,
    I purchased a headset for the Xbox One in January...
    I am surprised. Argos are usually great with these kind of issues.

You explain the issue to a customer service person in-store in a quick sentence like "I am having audio issues with the headset" and ask for a replacement. Don't go into mad specifics. Make sure you have the receipt and the headset box.

Most people are given a replacement instantly and Argos send it back to the manufacturer and get credited for the headset.

You sent a complaint?
    Did you actually go in and tell them that you didn't send it off for repair in the first place and would like them to deal with it.

Yes, complaint was sent.

1. Initial troubleshooting (web, FAQ from website, forums, etc.)
    2. Went to retail store and asked for RRR. Was told to contact manufacturer.
    3. Contacted manufacturer, was told to send headset in at my own cost.
    4. Told retailer I'm not sending it at my own coast and them for help. Was told that they warranty is handled by manufacturer and only if I'd produce something in writing from the manufacturer that the headset has a fault, they would RRR it.
    5. Did some more troubleshooting, purchased some cables and charger that helped other owners.
    6. Issues came back after a while, contacted retailer again and asked for RRR. Denied. Deal with manufacturer. They treated that I have to send it in at my own cost as a fact of life.

I can't remember if I ever asked Argos to do anything specific. I remember my approach was to ask them for help with this. I basically called or went into the store, explained the situation and asked what could be done. So I never insisted on anything. I basically thought that I was wrong, because I refused to pay for sending it in.
    I am surprised. Argos are usually great with these kind of issues.

You explain the issue to a customer service person in-store in a quick sentence like "I am having audio issues with the headset" and ask for a replacement. Don't go into mad specifics. Make sure you have the receipt and the headset box.

Most people are given a replacement instantly and Argos send it back to the manufacturer and get credited for the headset.
    See, your last sentence. That's exactly the opposite of what was explained to me. I was told that they get in trouble if they accept it and that they don't have the means to test it themselves.

This was not my first RRR at Argos. I only had trouble once before with them, but that was sorted on the spot as well. Other than that, I can't complain. I'm always trying to be nice and reasonable. In this case, I met actual resistance. And I tried. I went to the store, called... and nothing. Go to the manufacturer or provide us with something in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

See, your last sentence. That's exactly the opposite of what was explained to me. I was told that they get in trouble if they accept it and that they don't have the means to test it themselves.

This was not my first RRR at Argos. I only had trouble once before with them, but that was sorted on the spot as well. Other than that, I can't complain. I'm always trying to be nice and reasonable. In this case, I met actual resistance. And I tried. I went to the store, called... and nothing. Go to the manufacturer or provide us with something in writing.

In the Xbox forum we highly recommend them for the no BS with getting a replacement in store but we heard an unusual account recently that differed from the usual highly praise service.

I think things have changed at Argos recently. Apparently they are testing everything now before taking returns.

This poster shed some light on it regarding a controller replacement. This used to be a simple process of bringing the faulty goods into the store and walk straight out with a replacement.

It still doesn't effect your statutory rights as a consumer. A small claims court letter should motivate them. I'd hit up all their social media asking why they do not honour your statutory rights and link to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

That's just bizarre! They absolutely have to take it back. They're free to send it off to the manufacturer themselves to have it tested for a fault before they refund/replace it, but it's mind-boggling that they're insisting that you're the one who has to do that.

Reply from Argos:
    I can confirm that if an item becomes faulty after 30 days of purchase we do advise customers to contact the manufacturer.
    They will be able to arrange a repair or provide a reference confirming this fault.
    If you get a reference you will then be able to take this in store for a replacement or refund.

How would I get this reference without having to send it in to the manufacturer for testing at my own cost?

I replied to Argos explaining again that I would have to pay for sending it in for repair and asked how I would go about getting the manufacturer to confirm the fault without sending it in?

When they first told me this I asked if they mean that the manufacturer arranged the testing and they said no. I'd need something in writing in which the manufacturer admits there is a fault with the headset. This is never going to happen remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They may advise you to contact the manufacturer, but you've no obligation to. Your contract is with Argos.

• Advertisement

Reply from Argos:

How would I get this reference without having to send it in to the manufacturer for testing at my own cost?

I replied to Argos explaining again that I would have to pay for sending it in for repair and asked how I would go about getting the manufacturer to confirm the fault without sending it in?

When they first told me this I asked if they mean that the manufacturer arranged the testing and they said no. I'd need something in writing in which the manufacturer admits there is a fault with the headset. This is never going to happen remotely.

You told argos you had sent it off already and it had been repaired is that correct?

Advertisement