Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sounds like a jet about to take off!

Options
  • 16-08-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Okay so my problem started gradually with a little whirring noise in the middle of games on PS4. After a couple of months, when I turn on the console and load a game it sounds like a plane taking off with a monkey trapped under the wheels.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it a repair shop job?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I use two near silent cooling fans, only when I forget to turn them on does mine behave like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Have you tried hoovering the vents?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

eddhorse wrote: »
    Have you tried hoovering the vents?

Yeah. Did all that. Cleaned it up as best I could. Sounds like something reading a disc. It kinda goes ballistic when there is a heavy load on graphics etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I bought my PS4 on original launch and this problem came up relatively early on. Just incredibly loud. I got lazy and never went to get it fixed under warranty. Not sure what generation of PS4 you have, but I know mates of mine who all got first gen, we all have the same jet engine problem.

Was a pity considering everything else in the console is flawless, and I'm not one of those playing it enough to fork out another 300-400 for a new generation in the hope its quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Yeah mine gets very loud as well. I think I heard something about replacing the thermal paste that might help it cool.
    There is some tutorials on youtube but I think it voids the warranty so be warned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Play it till it breaks, buy a new one, rinse and repeat.

But seriously don't hover your PlayStation, get a toothbrush or something and clean the vents then use a can of compressed air to clean it.

This might not stop the noise but at least you know that you have freed up the vents and that its getting as much air as possible in to help cool the thing down.

I also have a first gen console and have this problem, but just hoping it doesn't go smash when I'm broke.

Advertisement