Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Student Insurance

• 16-08-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My daughter is going to Spain for three months as an Erasmus student, she was told she needed Student Insurance that covers Health and working (third Party I think), would anybody know where I might get this, I've searched the Internet and can't really find anything other that travel & health policies.
    To be honest I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

21/25

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Not going to give you much help but main thing is for her to get the EHIC card.
    This gives her free basic cover in a public hospital.
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/
    This card is free from HSE and is sent out very quickly if all the forms are filled out correctly.
    Doesn't cover repatriation or cover in a private hospital abroad.
    For that you will need a different policy.
    As you say, very hard to know exactly what you need and very hard to check.
    If you have a yearly travel insurance policy, these only cover someone for up to 31 days so would only cover for 1/3 of her trip on that.

I have looked at the same type of policy for Germany.
    Not sure if it's the same but in Germany each resident including foreign students, must have a German insurance policy to cover them for health costs.
    This costs each resident €90 a month in Germany and is the same cost from every company.
    Foreign people can get exemptions if they have a EHIC.
    This may be the same in Spain so EHIC is the 1st port of call.
    I have googled overseas student insurance and cost starts from about €270 a year to around €900, some colleges have info about it but the costs going through them was expensive (must be their cut in there somewhere).
    Best of luck with it.

Advertisement