Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing bicycle

Options
  • 16-08-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Have a car parking space in an apartment block which unfortunately has no area for locking a bicycle. Can someone please point me in direction of where I might find something that could be anchored to the wall or ground to lock bicycle onto? Or other possible solutions? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

qb123 wrote: »
    Have a car parking space in an apartment block which unfortunately has no area for locking a bicycle. Can someone please point me in direction of where I might find something that could be anchored to the wall or ground to lock bicycle onto? Or other possible solutions? Thanks.

These be any use to you?

http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/anchors-320-c.asp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You might want to check if you'll be allowed even anchor something.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Thanks. I did check and am allowed put in something neat. Problem with the motorbike ones shown is that they're not really suitable for locking a bike by the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

can you put in a sheffield stand? if properly anchored and not too bulky for the mgmt company it should be the right job.

https://www.broxap.com/sheffield-cycle-stand-4.html

Thanks, but I think that might be pushing beyond "neat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

First of all you get hold of a smashed up junker car and leave that in the space for a month. Then the sheffield stand will appear neat. Also, get a triple sheffield stand so you can fit your N+1s for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you put a stand on your bike, you can thread a gold-standard chain lock through your frame and then through a floor anchor. Alternatively, you can take an old u-lock, thread that through the floor anchor, thread another u-lock through the frame of the bike just behind the bottom bracket. I've done both, but that's in my concrete-floored shed.

The problem is somebody will kick over your bike. If you can put up with that, it might work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Buy a van, park it in your spot and put the bike in the van - simples :D

Or get a Brompton.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there not somewhere in the car park that it could rest against and have a lock around it. I have gone into many carparks and have always found somewhere to lock my bike, which was not going to be obstructing a car space.

It can be cheaper, and more secure, and less permanent to just get a long decent chain which will wrap around a big pillar. If you find one you can get a bit of string to determine the length of chain you need, as being too long is not only costly but it should ideally not be slack and left on the ground where it can be cut easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

feck that, i'd be bringing my bike into the apartment, thats if your not sharing with loads more etc and put the bike into the bath or if you have room a floor to ceiling stand that can be moved if needed,

Thanks for suggestions. Car parking space has a wall on two sides which I could rest it against, but that leaves it quite vulnerable still as its not a particularly secure car park. There's no issue with obstructing anyone else as the parking space is for the specific apartment and I don't have a car. Unfortunately there's no pillar around which I could wrap a chain to secure it to; I also don't want to be bringing it into the apartment as it would be too intrusive.

My best bet seems to be to find bar/ring/whatever to anchor to the wall (or floor) to secure it. If anyone can suggest best place (either city centre or south Dublin area) to find such a thing, it'd be very helpful. Also advice on where to find someone to install it!

That sounds perfect. You just need to put an anchor (or two) into the wall and lock the bike up against the wall.

From the link above, this is quite like one I have, but better (four expander bolts instead of two):
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/oxford-anchor-force-ground-anchor-of440-1675-p.asp

You should be able to install it yourself, if you can borrow a drill with hammer action. I had to buy a masonry drill bit as well, as mine needed a non-standard bit for installation. It's a little bit of hassle, but if you're a bit handy, it's doable.

A Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit would allow you to lock the top tube right up against the wall, and then you need something good to secure the wheels. Maybe fill the hex bolts for the seat post and the fork crown with epoxy putty too.

Advertisement