Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero-ness of a shallower front wheel

Options
  • 16-08-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I'm going to ask here cos I think I will get better answers than over in the cycling section. I have been using Flo 60 front wheel, like the wheel itself but find it very twitchy in cross winds, maybe the bike is as much to blame or my bike handling but I find when I use it I come out of aero a lot of the time to try and counteract the wind and just get a bit more comfortable. (comfortable in the cross-wind, not on the bike in general)

I used a normal Mavic rim at the weekend and it worked well, no cross wind issues, and spent alot more time in aero, less time spent thinking about the wind and less nervous energy wasted.

Has got me thinking about just using a smaller depth front wheel. The Flo is 63mm deep so I'd prefer something a fair bit shallower. The size of the zipp 303 looks good to me, not too deep but not a normal type rim either. But is their any aero benefit to a wheel that shallow or would it be the same as a normal front wheel?

I know the answer will probably be get out on the bike more with the wheel and get used to it, but for arguments sake, is their a measurable aero benefit of a 303 size rim to a normal Mavic rim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

According to Mark Cote from Specialized.
    The difference between the most are and the least aero wheeler in a headwind over 40k was about 30/35 seconds.
    This increase a lot if it's a side wind. This will depend on the size of the wheel. But as you found out it is only any real benefit if you can hold it.
    So I suppose there is some benefit to something like a 50mm if you can hold it and have a cross wind.
    In conclusion the most aero is the one you can hold in the aero position.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

If you're sitting up because of control issues with the wheel then you should be riding a shallower wheel. Flo actually have a whole scientific bit about it on their blog I think.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Had a look at that alright RJM, interesting enough. Mainly compare against a Mavic CXP rim and the difference at around 35kmph between a FLO60 and a FLO30 is probably around the 2-3 min mark on an Ironman distance course. Not a huge disadvantage and more than make that back with being able to stay in aero longer and not wasting nervous energy.

Now begins the search for a 35mm deep front wheel with an alu braking surface if possible, just saves swapping pads between training wheels and race wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Get a loan of a 50mm front and try it, something like a Mavic cosmic or similar.

I think you will be fine, even at 59kgs in cross winds. You just need to stay relaxed when aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

where are you based Joey, I have a Shamal front wheel med dept you can try out if ya wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Benny mul, that's very generous, think your limerick based though and I'm Dublin, thanks though, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry I thought you were closer to this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

303 would be 8 sec slower than a 404 (similar to a flo 60) over 40 km and 72 sec faster than a regular alu wheel according to Zipp:

http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/support/zipp_aero_edge_flyer_11.pdf

You shouldnt have a problem with handling issues in teh wind with a 303 on the front unless you are talking about 35-40 kph gusts

Advertisement