Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert results

Options
  • 16-08-2017 3:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

Just back from school, a lot of students chanced their arm (despite warning) and tried for the H7. They failed. On the flip side all my students did hons (first time ever) and all "passed". The girl who does the rechecks in school says she never saw as many dropping in their forms to view scripts so soon after results.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I got H1's all round :) just teasing. Well done to your class and to their teacher who got them there:) what was the subject that had all the fails?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I got H1's all round :) just teasing. Well done to your class and to their teacher who got them there:) what was the subject that had all the fails?

Mostly HL maths, bio, lcvp, French.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Just had a conversation with someone about this and I'm still confused - has the SEC officially designated 30-39% as a pass at HL? Or is it just for the purposes of CAO points? If so, was there an official SEC announcement on this that I missed?

I read in a few places that failure rates at HL are down this year, but they obviously would be if what was an E is no longer a fail. Yet, I read in another article (link below) that the number of students scoring <40% in several subjects was well up. Presuming that this can be put down to more students taking HL who would have previously taken OL, are they considered to have passed the subject with a H7 grade?

What if I do not want to apply to the CAO but am sitting the LC as a stand-alone exam, am I considered to have passed if I score 35%? If this is the case, it really devalues the LC as an exam, especially when comparing it to other countries. Surely it would cause major headaches too for students going abroad to study?

Article here if you scroll down:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/leaving-cert-results-it-hasnt-really-set-in-yet-im-in-shock-meet-the-students-who-achieved-top-marks-36036884.html

Alqua wrote: »
    Just had a conversation with someone about this and I'm still confused - has the SEC officially designated 30-39% as a pass at HL? Or is it just for the purposes of CAO points? If so, was there an official SEC announcement on this that I missed?

I read in a few places that failure rates at HL are down this year, but they obviously would be if what was an E is no longer a fail. Yet, I read in another article (link below) that the number of students scoring <40% in several subjects was well up. Presuming that this can be put down to more students taking HL who would have previously taken OL, are they considered to have passed the subject with a H7 grade?

What if I do not want to apply to the CAO but am sitting the LC as a stand-alone exam, am I considered to have passed if I score 35%? If this is the case, it really devalues the LC as an exam, especially when comparing it to other countries. Surely it would cause major headaches too for students going abroad to study?

Article here if you scroll down:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/leaving-cert-results-it-hasnt-really-set-in-yet-im-in-shock-meet-the-students-who-achieved-top-marks-36036884.html

H7 is definitely a pass otherwise HL fail rate would have doubled this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

judeboy101 wrote: »
    H7 is definitely a pass otherwise HL fail rate would have doubled this year.

Mad.. if you look at the figures from that article you could say they have though?
    English: 1,162 out of 38,749 getting <40% compared to 439 out of 36,576 last year.
    Irish: 486 out of 22,122 compared to 120 out of 20,097 last year.

Interestingly, they avoid using the word 'fail'. I'm still not convinced though - colleges may be accepting 30-39% for entry requirements, but where has the SEC stated that this is officially a pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It's the same for the new junior cycle, 20-40% is now partially achieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't think there is any official designation of "fail". But H7 is being accepted by colleges to fulfil the 6 subject matriculation requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The number of students getting H2s and H3s is very high.

I had two LC Bio classes
    38 students or so

Breakdown was
    2 x H1s
    10 x H2s
    12 x H3s
    6 x H4
    4 x H5
    4 x H6

A good set of results but not as good as i was expecting from a very hard working group.
    I'm delighted that none of my students failed but was really expecting 6-7 H1s.

The students scoring 85-89.99% are being really disadvantaged, even more than the old system

Last year, a student of mine got 89.75% and got 90 points.
    That same result would now get that student 88 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

At some point the bar will have to be dropped underground to be cleared...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't think there is any official designation of "fail". But H7 is being accepted by colleges to fulfil the 6 subject matriculation requirements.

Of course they are. They have to fill those courses and take in those fees from students who either aren't ready for 3rd level, or simply not able for 3rd level. Who cares if a load of them drop out after 1st year? Colleges have the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Prizes for all. Greatest little education system in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Matriculation requirements did not automatically drop to accept a H7. I checked a few colleges who used to require a D3 in Higher or Ordinary Maths as a matriculation requirement. Their websites still referred to D3's, but when I got through to the admissions offices, they were clear that the new matriculation requirement would be a H6 or an O6 - a H7 would not do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Alqua wrote: »

Interestingly, they avoid using the word 'fail'.

They're doing this with the new Junior Cycle too. Under 40 is now referred to as 'partially achieved' :rolleyes:

DubCount wrote: »
    Matriculation requirements did not automatically drop to accept a H7. I checked a few colleges who used to require a D3 in Higher or Ordinary Maths as a matriculation requirement. Their websites still referred to D3's, but when I got through to the admissions offices, they were clear that the new matriculation requirement would be a H6 or an O6 - a H7 would not do the job.

I'm referring to the general six subject requirement for entry to college, not specific subject requirements for particular courses. Certainly, that's what's stated on the websites for TCD and NUI.

I'm referring to the general six subject requirement for entry to college, not specific subject requirements for particular courses. Certainly, that's what's stated on the websites for TCD and NUI.

Transition.is says matric requires H7

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Transition.is says matric requires H7

Yes, as I said, that's what I see listed on college websites.

Advertisement