Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Divorce Proceedings?

• 16-08-2017 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I am going through a divorce at the moment and was just wondering if anyone has approximate guidance on what the costs are likely to be.

We used two solicitors to draw up a legal separation agreement a few years ago and everything is extremely amicable and uncomplicated so I am wondering if I am just throwing money away on legal fees and nonsense between two solicitors?

The fee guidance I've been given is for approximately €3750 to €6000 for the solicitors' fees alone (just for one party) and the barrister is not included in that.

We have literally no assets to divide up and we have no kids and we have agreed everything. Both of us simply want to move on and get this over with and I basically feel like I am being gouged by lawyers. Neither of us are on particularly big incomes and neither of us want to pursue the other for any kind of maintenance either.

This could easily end up costing up to ten grand for nothing.

On top of that, I was advised not to proceed to making any contact with the court to get the proceedings listed, and we are now several months past the 4 year time out and it's looking like we could be several more months before we get a slot in court.

I actually sunk into a bit of a slump when I heard that it would be another few months as I had really felt like this would be behind me by now. I am not going out with anyone else and I am in no rush to get remarried or anything like that, but I just wanted it wrapped up and now I feel like it's yet more time in 'limbo'.

I can only assume that the divorce law in Ireland was written with the full intention of punishing couples with failed marriages rather than allowing them to move on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My mother done a diy divorce and got change from €500. If everything is sorted out then the court is basically a rubber stamp. Here is one place providing diy for €500 http://www.diydivorce.ie/

They were the first result in a google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I used diy divorce and they were great. 500 and then an extra 50 for the pension adjustment order. I have 2 kids! You have none so why would you pay that much when you don't need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

DIY divorce seen as everything is sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Your separation agreement will be used as the basis of your divorce, so if nothing has changed regarding salary..pensions..property it should be straight forward.
    Go to your local court and ask about the process. The staff I found were great and helped me a lot, I completed my own divorce for about E120.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement