Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Point Business Park

Options
  • 16-08-2017 5:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Being forced to move here with work (subject to me finding another job) and it looks like for a reasonable commute cycling is the only option.

What is it like out there for bike security? I'll be near the spar I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,524 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not great... have heard about bikes being stolen that were left overnight in a locked bike shed with CCTv on it.

Defo don't leave a bike overnight.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wouldn't think of leaving it over night

• Registered Users Posts: 12 caputmundi

Don't shell much money on your bike. A beater or an average looking one should suffice for your commuting needs. This is important. Then, lock it with two good locks, one of them preferably U/D-Lock, to correctly lock the frame and wheels (at least the rear one). Also, park it next to expensive bikes or in the middle of the rack whenever possible, even if that means walking 25-50m.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wasn't planning on a new bike. This move is going to cost me a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 12 caputmundi

godtabh wrote: »
    I wasn't planning on a new bike. This move is going to cost me a fortune

A beater bike can be easily found for €100-150 or less. Anyway, since you already own a bike, how it looks is going to matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is cycling the only option - clontarf dart station just across the road, and a shuttle goes to the business park

begbysback wrote: »
    Is cycling the only option - clontarf dart station just across the road, and a shuttle goes to the business park

Don't live near a dart and driving will be long

I've two decent enough spec'd racers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will you have to cross the liffey to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I worked there about ten years ago. Two-lock strategy (one gold-standard, one silver-standard), same as everywhere else I park. My work had a bike rack, but nothing special (wheel-clinchers, not Sheffield Stand). Never had any trouble. Never left a bike overnight though. The bike was an ok, but not expensive bike. Not a beater.

The road surface inside the park was very slippery in the wet though. Sort of brickwork.

Coming from D18
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    I worked there about ten years ago. Two-lock strategy (one gold-standard, one silver-standard), same as everywhere else I park. My work had a bike rack, but nothing special (wheel-clinchers, not Sheffield Stand). Never had any trouble. Never left a bike overnight though. The bike was an ok, but not expensive bike. Not a beater.

The road surface inside the park was very slippery in the wet though. Sort of brickwork.

Been out there in the dry as a dry run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Been out there in the dry as a dry run

One of the few times I've come off the bike in my adult life was doing a right turn there in the rain. No harm done at all, but I was very wary after that. I think by the time I'd finished working there they had started putting up signs after rain to warn people the road was slippery.

I thought it was ok for cycling, and I cycled in there every day for a few years. Very difficult to get in and out of there in a car back then. Terrible congestion at peak times, and the T-junction at the mouth of the estate had design problems that compounded the issue. (Including no proper way to get onto the cycle tracks on Alfie Byrne road when you were leaving the estate.)

Apart from having to get through lines of static traffic to get onto the cycling infrastructure, it all didn't really matter much when you were cycling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Coming from D18
    you've kinda the reverse commute to me so. i pass east point on my way to D18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

If there's a bike shed or garage you should be good with the gold silver lock combo.

If the racks are in the open then I'd be inclined to get a less appealing bike - plus singlespeeds are FTW commuting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

That area is a renowned hunting ground for bike thieves,one gang operating out of nearby ringesend are steal expensive bikes to order. If you must park your bike in the area use two good locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Been there for the last 3.5 years. Never had any issues, nor have I heard of any issues from colleagues. Lock your bike well and you'll be find I reckon. Some offices have good bike sheds, but I've been using the unsecured ones without issue. I wouldn't overly worry tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Worked there for 2½ years and I'd say it's as safe (=unsafe) as anywhere in Dublin. I never had issues but then again I saw mangled bike corpses every now and then and also some cut bike racks. Crappy bike and heavy lock is the way to go. Anything nice will eventually get stolen and/or destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Being forced to move here with work (subject to me finding another job) and it looks like for a reasonable commute cycling is the only option.

What is it like out there for bike security? I'll be near the spar I think.

I worked out there for a while, up until recently. If you're near the spar, find a spot in the covered car park. During the day it'll be fine there as there are usually plenty of people around. The problems with thieving, etc, were always at their worst during the school holidays. You'd often see kids on the prowl. And, to say that security there are useless (they are, by choice, glorified car park attendants) is an understatement.

One thing to note. They recently extended the security barrier so that cyclists can't get by without it opening (this was done more for motorcycles than cyclists). The problem with this is that, on several occasions, I cycled up to the barrier and they wouldn't open it for me until the next car arrived. Yes, they are that stupid. I'd recommend cycling up the middle of the road on the way in, blocking any cars from reaching the security hut. It drives them crazy. It was one of the only pleasures I got from working in that hellhole.

Also, it's great when the croke park concerts are on and the cops let buses park in the cycle lanes. I had several games of 'trying not to die'. Was such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭plodder

I cycle there regularly, and while there has been incidences of bike theft, it wouldn't put me off. Use a couple of different locks, and as other say, don't leave it overnight. If the distance is cyclable, and you have a cheap bike, then it's a no-brainer, as driving there at peak times is a painful experience. You could call over and talk to the security staff at the entrance and see what advice they have about security.

1bryan wrote: »

Also, it's great when the croke park concerts are on and the cops let buses park in the cycle lanes. I had several games of 'trying not to die'. Was such fun.

I cycled out there one saturday morning just to see what it was like. There was garda cones in the cycle lane by the point. I tweeted the gardai about how dangerous that was. No reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Worked there for 9 years. Cycled pretty much every day. Only incident was lights being stolen on the bike one Friday night but security got the guys. After a spate of robberies the security system was upgraded all over the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The barrier has been shortened at the front. I've never had them not open it for me as I approach it whilst it was lengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clongain

Been cycling out there for about 5 years. Never had any issues myself although 2 colleagues had bikes stolen when left overnight. Wouldn't dream of leaving it overnight, asking for trouble in my opinion.

Advertisement