Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys/PCWorld refusing to refund.

Options
  • 16-08-2017 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi
    My granddaughter bought a laptop from Currys a couple of weeks back. After a couple of days the 1TB hard drive failed. She brought it back and, since they didn't have the same model in stock she accepted a different model, same brand.
    This, on examination, turned out not to have a hard drive at all, just a 32GB eMMC.
    She brought this on back to get a refund which was given but was refused a refund of the €15 paid for Norton AV and the first months insurance of €4.50, basically told to p1ss off.
    Apart from the shyster attitude of Currys in fobbing off a computer illiterate student with a piece of crap, where does she stand over the €19.50 she's out of pocket on?
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its less than the cost of Small Claims so unfortunately, unless you can embarrass them out of it (Twitter or similar) there's no useful comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Under distance selling legislation cant she cancel within 14 days and get a refund? Its really not Curry's responsibility in this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

homer911 wrote: »
    Under distance selling legislation cant she cancel within 14 days and get a refund? Its really not Curry's responsibility in this situation

I got the impression this was a bricks and mortar sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Jervis Centre.

Agree, the amount is insignificant, the principle is what's bugging me.

She's grand on social media etc, just not up to speed on old technology like laptops :D

Presume she'll just put it down to experience. I haven't set foot in a PCWorld in years due to similar vile customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Technically there was nothing wrong with the anti virus and the fact your machine was covered for the first month it needed to be paid for. I know you wouldn't use an anti virus without a computer but similarily if you bought a car and the engine packed in you wouldn't expect the garage to give you back the money you spent on fuel. Sly move swapping out for a little netbook though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

She had the insurance for most of the month so she will have to pay for it, the antivirus can be transferred onto her new machine.
    Tell her to look it up in the norton website and follow the instructions (she will need the box that came with it that has her license number) it's quite easy she just cancels the license on the old one and continues it on her new machine.

If she's confused Nortons tech support should walk her through it.

Advertisement