Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac screen issue

• 16-08-2017 8:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This happened tonight.

Restarted and all appears fine. Should I be concerned, though? Seems a bit odd. I had heap of browser tabs open as a I usually do - articles, a few Youtube clips, etc.

Refurb model. iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 8GB of RAM. Purchased in May 2016.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ran Apple Diagnostics. Came back clear. Generated a fair bit of dust. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

GPU FAULT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

GPU FAULT

That's what I thought at first, as I had an issue with my previous iMac.

Any way of running this down, to get more detail - will it definitely conk out at some stage?

it will only get worse, consumer law have apple replace it.

it will only get worse, consumer law have apple replace it.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act?

Did an online chat with Apple. My tech support has expired and was expecting to pay the 29 euro or whatever it is just to talk - machine was purchased at the end of May 2016.

Showed them the pic as per the OP.

The rep said:
    What I would suggest is to reset the SMC if the issue persist again and I can provide you with steps in advance as well as emailing you an article that would assist with this as well.

I asked about a possible defect with the GPU. Hard to think everything is hunky dory.
    That is definitely something that resetting the SMC will determine. If this happens after that then we definitely know tha there is an issue that repairs will fix.

• Advertisement

bring your machine into Compu b or i-Connect with receipt, show the pic of the GPu wonky and ask them to repair under Consumer Law.

Outcome on this - good, including the service.
    bring your machine into Compu b or i-Connect with receipt, show the pic of the GPu wonky and ask them to repair under Consumer Law.

Brought in the machine and barely had to mention European law at all. The paperwork for that was put in front of me pretty much straight away. On the technical side, they didn't find anything wrong, and they asked me for more info/symptoms. Not much I could say on that front, really. Anyway, they agreed to replace logic board. They also reinstalled the OS (with my permission) as a few days before I dropped it in the machine said it had encountered a a problem and restarted. €25 handling charge for the whole thing - diagnostic charge was dropped once they agreed to replace the logic board. Had the machine been a little older I'd imagine the cost would have been quite a bit more.

Only issue was my Time Machine back up wasn't as recent I had thought. I did run it before I dropped it off, but I suspect it didn't work correctly as I remember a 'disk not ejected correctly', or some such message that can arise now and then with TM. I should have just rerun it and ejected the disk completely. No data loss that I didn't have copies of on email, etc. Back to normal.

Advertisement