Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are low insurance car options?

Options
  • 16-08-2017 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

What might be one's best uesd car option (year/model) to pick, if all you're concerned about is saving money (insurance and new car price)? What seemed to happen to me, was that once my insurers knew no one else would take me on with a classic car, they abused me. The price jumped from €660 to €1,125, and this year to €1,695 if I'm to renew.

I understand that with most companies at the moment, that 15 years (car age) seems to be the cut off point for accepting new clients. But when did this rule come in? Because my car has been older than 15 years for quite some time and I didn't notice any difference in the insurance price. Maybe the way policies worked were different back then... because otherwise the price would have shot up due to me being 'trapped' with that particular insurer. It wasn't until my car hit the 20 year mark that I actually realised no one else would take me on! Whether I could have changed insurer a year or two before this, I don't know.

So for buying something new, I don't see the need in buying a recent model. I'd like to go as old as possible, but the only problem with this, is that by the time next year comes around, such a car might then be older than 15 years and therefore no other insurer would take me! So then I'd be back in the same position I'm in now - of being trapped with a particular insurer and having them drastically ramp up the premium. Is that what would happen? That's what I'm confused about. Should I maybe get a 12 or 13 yr old car, to allow for a bit of time with it?

Thank you

Advertisement