Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs you think would be really boring.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

My job involves solving and investigating high impact technical incidents. So it's different every day. I meet new people, learn new things etc...

However i do agree, I would like to have lots of money and retire early :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Prison officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I always wondered if the stereotype of working in accounting was true. It's supposedly the most boring and uninspiring of professions out there but I imagine it's quite a competitive environment in many ways, particularly in one of the big 4 accounting firms.

I personally think call centre work would be very grim with regards to job satisfaction and mundanity. I don't think I've heard of anyone that says they enjoy it and the the remuneration is often quite low.

Honestly accounting has so many different streams and it depends on personality. I didn't particularly enjoy the work atmosphere in the big 4 firms as I found it too competitive and bit much at times. That said, it was great to train in and have made valuable contacts from it. I'm an internal auditor which people assume must be so dull but in reality I get to see the workings of every part of the business and try to help them achieve better results which is great.

I would agree that call centre work would be so dull - especially tech support or something. From people I know who've worked in it, it's the same type of calls day in, day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where you working? Think I found a new career!

So tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Sign holders you see in town.

Security people in Dunnes/Tescos who watch on the screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lukesmom wrote: »
    Prison officer

uncle was one for a while, maximum security in australia. it actually sounds like one of the most interesting jobs hes ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Traffic wardens, sure for a while you'll be giddy with power that'll die away quickly and then you're trudging about in the wind and rain with a quota to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Grayson wrote: »
    My job involves solving and investigating high impact technical incidents. So it's different every day. I meet new people, learn new things etc...

However i do agree, I would like to have lots of money and retire early :)

So problem management basically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Blazer wrote: »
    So problem management basically?

Yeah, Incident & Problem management.
    Thing is that every day I deal with stuff & people I've never seen before. Most of them are quite interesting and it's always something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Accounting 😴 i hate maths

Dental nursing/assistant

Basically anywhere where you are not kept going and the day drags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Road sweeper

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Irish defence forces The scouts

What a pathetic excuse for an army. They even limit the bullets they can use during training exercises.

Remember the life less ordinary advert on tv of them blowing up a giant poster of a tank :D

I hear they are getting cheap tin $hite Hyundai diesel vehicles this year to replace aging fleet of Toyota and Nissan 4x4s. Even Isis and Hamas can afford brand new Toyota Hilux'.

Pure keyboard warrior is what you are! As a serving defence forces member I can tell you the job is far from boring (as you have made out).. It's clear from your silly idiotic comment that you haven't served a day in the irish military as you would know that the 'Nissan's' have been out of service for over 12 years now and as for Toyotas I haven't got a clue what your talking about they have never been contracted too provide vehicles for the defence forces in recent times anyway. Play the keyboard warrior all you want pal but at least get your facts right. The defence forces has it's ups and downs like every job. I work irregular hours and different shift patterns like alot of my colleagues (something which you probably could not relate too)! So no it's not a boring job if anything it's quite different from most jobs. If your going to make statements at least be able to back them up truthfully ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Human scarecrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Tunnelling engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Anything to do with IT or finance. Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 SonicWind

Software Engineer for a company that gave up innovating a long time ago. Same thing day in day out until I die or quit. At least as a road sweeper you'll get a bit of excitement when you find something cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Librarian, glorified shelf stackers

stamp a returned book put back on the shelf day after day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

excuse my ignorance

but why would you need a 3rd level degree to stack a shelf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I always thought librarians were paid very well.

I did however base that on the one and only librarian I know of - she was paid a ridiculous amount, but she works in a university, so normal rules don't apply I suppose!

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    Librarian, glorified shelf stackers

stamp a returned book put back on the shelf day after day

It's my idea of heaven

I did however base that on the one and only librarian I know of - she was paid a ridiculous amount, but she works in a university, so normal rules don't apply I suppose!

maybe the ones in university, but yer ones in local town libraries would they be on the same pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The lads sitting in security in the lobby of our office. It's not the main building so there's no reception duties, they night lads at least get hourly walks to do, these lads sit there all day from 8 to 5pm. They've only recently been given laptops, they must have gone through YouTube twice now.

I did work experience in a library many years ago, and it was great

ya i know, was being sarcy

(i suppose i should use the wink icon more)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

branie2 wrote: »
    It's my idea of heaven

Libradians are well paid. Not much to it and it can be baffling some places want masters degrees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I did work experience in a library many years ago, and it was great

knowing you branie, i reckon you spent half your time looking for **** material ;)

philstar wrote: »
    knowing you branie, i reckon you spent half your time looking for **** material ;)
    I have a life outside that as well, you know. And I was busy working, stacking shelves, checking out books and correcting questions in a children's table quiz.

• Advertisement

Professional footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In university at least, the ones putting books on shelves are Library Attendants.

Librarians would be expected to be well-versed in their field (science, business, etc) and be able to support students in discovering the most up-to-date and relevant research, as well as liaising with academic staff to ensure the most relevant materials are on the library shelves and available online.

It might be boring, but it's more than putting books on shelves.

I've shifted many a librarian in my day and along with violin/fiddle/cello players these bookish types - at least the female ones - tend to be ferociously sexy. 'Tis the capaill dhorcha who are always the most interesting.

Give me a woman with literature over a woman sitting in front of reality tv/Hello magazine any day.

Certainly changed from a traditional view of a librarian wearing glasses and having her hair tied up in a bun

I can't remember the exact details - this was years ago. But I distinctly remember being surprised by how much it was. I was younger then - it's possible I was more easily impressed than I am now:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Certainly changed from a traditional view of a librarian wearing glasses and having her hair tied up in a bun

oh but don't you love it when they undo the hair and reveal the minx they really are ;)

Yea i'll do it - i've just one little nagging doubt, it's that largely word that concerns me.

The pilot may only be needed every now and then, (shur dem der big planes practically fly themselves, hey:D) But that minute or two every now and then - I just have this feeling that they're important somehow.

A fúck it, how hard can it be, sign me up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Working in a curtain shop would be my idea of hell.

Customer: hello do you sell curtains
    Me: Yes we've many different colours designs and sizes. Have a look around and let me know if you need any help.
    Customer: do you have any blue curtains with a floral design?
    Me: No.
    Customer: ok thanks, what about green stripes designs?
    Me: No but if you have a look around you'll see all the colours and designs we do have.
    Customer: ok but I really only wanted those designs I mentioned. Thanks anyway.
    Me: bye.

Fast food restaurant - flipping burgers all day.

Having said that, I enjoy eating at Supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once had a job in a factory that made wooden doors. I would wrap these doors in bubble wrap all day. It was the most boring job imaginable.

One day a fly kept landing on a door I was trying to wrap. I kept waving him away but he kept coming back. Eventually I just said "fuck it, stay there then" and wrapped the door with the fly still sitting on it trapping him inside. Whoever the door was delivered to would have gotten a nice surprise.

I lost my job soon afterwards. Not sure if it was because of the fly incident or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The most boring jobs are the ones where you are doing nothing and can't do nothing...

An example being I worked in an overnight call centre years ago. Less than 10 people called in during 12 hours. But couldn't go on the Internet with the pc (blocked) and it was slightly before smart phones came in so couldn't sneakily go on the Internet with my phone.
    You couldn't be anything more than 5 minutes away from your desk too (you had to be logged in and were only given 10 minutes 'not ready time' for bathroom breaks) They didn't mind you bringing in a magazine but honestly I am not the type of person to read for 12 hours straight.

It was just boring. Don't get me wrong plenty of worse jobs out there but didn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Scream Canister maker

latest?cb=20130819030258

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rekluse wrote: »
    Lifeguard
    Lifeguard, at the Olympics.

Because of laws 'n stuff the Olympic games in Brazil had to have lifeguards at the pools.

Just in case someone needed to rescue one of the fittest people on the planet in a pool that already has the worlds fastest swimmers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

diomed wrote: »
    Working in a stable with a shovel.
    Even the muscle-bound Hercules used lateral thinking to get out of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I worked in a library for a few weeks once and l found it very boring. Probably depends on the library though.

When people say boring, do they mean having nothing to do or the work itself? I suppose no matter what you do, if it's extremely busy and quite stressful, you aren't going to be bored.

Advertisement