Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook login

• 17-08-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

wondering if anyone can help me out here. I was looking around my privacy settings on Facebook and noticed I was logged in on an iPad in Dublin.
    Now, I don't own an iPad, and haven't been in Dublin in months, yet it says I logged in there on Tuesday.
    It gave me an IP address which I googled, and it gave me a house number in Dublin 8.
    Just to add, I noticed last month I was also logged in in Dublin on an iPad but I didn't check the IP address, I did however change my password.
    Can anyone advise what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Make sure that when you changed you pass word you told it to log out all other devices. Sounds like somebody is upto no good and you may well even know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Also after logging them out and changing your password, make sure to turn on Two Factor Authentication and use an App (e.g. Google Authenticator) as the second factor. That way nobody else can log in to your FB account without your say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

On another note, is there anyway I can find out a persons name from the IP address or Eircode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Kevwoody wrote: »

On another note, is there anyway I can find out a persons name from the IP address or Eircode?

Without a warrant - no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Be careful with this, IP geolocation stuff is very very approximate, if you are lucky it'll be accurate enough to get the city correct, never mind the specific area/street/house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Facebook are also in Dublin, could it be them? I once was tracking someone logging into my windows until I realized the address was Washington State USA (Bill Gates himself!).

Do you have an ex (or current) significant other who would know a lot about you and be spying?

If you wanted to send me (via private message only!) the offending I.P. Address there are a few computer geek things I could look at may give you better info. I would do it just for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Also have a look at your own I.P. address from facebook using the same method, I am currently logged in in Cork according to facebook security lol even though I am north of Dublin! most of the time I am logged in as being in Dublin (I am not).

I bet you that the first two sets of numbers in the IP address are probably the same for both your legit login and the dodgy login. i.e. 123.201.154.67 and 123.201.22.181 in which case it was you and facebook just reported device incorrectly (do you have an iPhone?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Facebook are also in Dublin, could it be them? I once was tracking someone logging into my windows until I realized the address was Washington State USA (Bill Gates himself!).

Do you have an ex (or current) significant other who would know a lot about you and be spying?

If you wanted to send me (via private message only!) the offending I.P. Address there are a few computer geek things I could look at may give you better info. I would do it just for fun.

I did initially think it could be Facebook HQ, but the IP address was street and house number specific so that threw me off that idea. I'll pm you the address and if you can shed anymore light on it id appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

I did initially think it could be Facebook HQ, but the IP address was street and house number specific so that threw me off that idea. I'll pm you the address and if you can shed anymore light on it id appreciate it!

It's highly unlikely that an IP address will be that specific. IP geolocation is usually not

Advertisement