Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Sponsor Cycle

Options
  • 17-08-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭

Hi

Am doing my 1st "Cycle" in a couple of weeks - Pieta House

I am only doing the 50KM route

They have a couple of feed stations, but am wondering what else should I bring with me?

I have a tool and Tyre levers

Should I bring spare tube?

Any other advice welcome

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

For any spin you should always have a spare tube (or two), a pump or compressed gas, tyre levers and a multi-tool. You'll usually see cyclists with a little bag under their saddle or a container that looks like a water bottle in one of the holders.

If it's an organised event, there'll probably be assistance, but you should be reasonably self-sufficient when it comes to a puncture or mechanical.

In terms of other stuff, you should start with one full water bottle and refill it at one of the stops. That should be plenty for the route. A bag of jellies and a banana in your jersey pocket might be no harm in case the food at the stops isn't to your liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Co2 inflators are a must. None of this mini pump malarky. Protip: Practice at home with it, dont waste your only capsule on a roadside as you have never done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ED E wrote: »
    Co2 inflators are a must. None of this mini pump malarky. Protip: Practice at home with it, dont waste your only capsule on a roadside as you have never done it before.

am going to get a Co2 inflator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

am going to get a Co2 inflator
    Make sure you have a little neoprene sleeve or grip for it! The capsules get REALLY cold and your skin can stick to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Disagree with this. ALWAYS use a mini pump to inflate the tube first. Just one or two "Pumps" to get the tube into the correct shape. Only use the Co2 inflater to get it up to pressure.

if you fit a tube and inflate using the Co2 inflater only, you run the risk of blowing the tube (if the tube is trapped between the rim and tyre).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just get a combo mini pump Co2 inflater. Tis what I have. The minipump is good enough on it's own to get me out of a bind a lot of the time.

ok..so prob best to start wit the pump and maybe look at c02 Later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Can only see one advantage and plenty of disadvantages with CO2 inflators. Get a decent mini-pump and it should last you for years.
    I presume you already have a helmet, cycling shorts, a jersey and lightweight rain jacket. How about cycle shoes and matching pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Disagree with this. ALWAYS use a mini pump to inflate the tube first. Just one or two "Pumps" to get the tube into the correct shape. Only use the Co2 inflater to get it up to pressure.

if you fit a tube and inflate using the Co2 inflater only, you run the risk of blowing the tube (if the tube is trapped between the rim and tyre).

You can do that with your gob ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Co2 inflators are a must. None of this mini pump malarky....
    Mini pump is a must. None of this CO2 malarky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You can do that with your gob ;)

There are lots of things you can do with your Gob! doesn't mean you should or have to. ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    There are lots of things you can do with your Gob! doesn't mean you should or have to. ;)

is that a kind of induction thingy...:eek:

Advertisement