Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why are swimming teachers in Ireland so overdressed ?

• 17-08-2017 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have been to a few pools this summer and have been shocked to see swimming teachers in the pool wearing t-shirts and track bottoms. Wtf is going on ? Catholic guilt ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Literally the first words to go through my head when I saw the title were 'Catholic Guilt'
    Then I opened the post and saw you'd beaten me to it.
    Yeah, it's very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In the actual water with tracksuits? I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Grand, I'm glad you cleared that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I have been to a few pools this summer and have been shocked to see swimming teachers in the pool wearing t-shirts and track bottoms. Wtf is going on ? Catholic guilt ?
    In the actual water wearing t-shirts and track bottoms?
    Most of the time when I'm coaching on poolside I wear a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms. Not because of any modesty, but because I'm only there for an hour and a half, its cold outside and it's a bit awkward getting changed into shorts because of the layout of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've had swimming lessons as an adult and asked the instructor out of curiosity - she told me it was so she could get an over-view of my kicking & strokes which you can't see as well if you're on the same level in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Part of it is also due to child protection guidelines. Best practice is to teach on deck, in water with clothes on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

swim2 wrote: »
    Part of it is also due to child protection guidelines. Best practice is to teach on deck, in water with clothes on..

sorry are you saying the rules require coaches in the water to wear long trousers and a full top ??

thats PC gone very very mad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BoatMad wrote: »
    sorry are you saying the rules require coaches in the water to wear long trousers and a full top ??

thats PC gone very very mad

Well, swim coaches in Ireland have had a very checkered history.
    Having said that, yes, it is mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Tracksuit bottoms in a pool?

Not the best way to teach a child how not to drown.

I think its more to be covered in the water, as in t-shirts and shorts, not just in a swimsuit. The guidelines say appropriately dressed so that could be a swimsuit in some pools, swimsuit with tshirt and shorts in others....

Log trousers and full top seems a bit overboard though, but may be due to management wanting to be overcautious.

The advice is to teach on deck where possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think its more to be covered in the water, as in t-shirts and shorts, not just in a swimsuit. The guidelines say appropriately dressed so that could be a swimsuit in some pools, swimsuit with tshirt and shorts in others....

Log trousers and full top seems a bit overboard though, but may be due to management wanting to be overcautious.

If anyone tried to dive into a pool in a t-shirt, they would definitely asked to GTFO.
    Anyone who defines the above as appropriate dress for the pool is a few sandwiches short...

Unless they never got into the water, then never mind.

Well, swim coaches in Ireland have had a very checkered history.
    Having said that, yes, it is mad.

yes but to equate a personality that grooms children for abuse, can be contained by making them wear a tracksuit in the pool is bizarre

( I could kinda see that point resulting in the children wearing tracksuits in the pool , but the coach !!!)

sorry , the participants in the pool are in swimsuits and the coach is forced to wear long trousers,

thats thinking gone way way mad.

( Im seeing a miss world contest, with the judges in bikinis and the contestants in pyjamas !!!! :D)

My father was a swimming coach ( amateur ) , by design most coaching is from the deck, only rarely is a coach needed in the water anyway, but on occasion it was necessary

it is mad for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

You wouldn't see such carry on in Belgium and France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

This sounds bizarre. Are there not wetsuits available such as those worn by some competitors in the Liffey Swim or Triathlon events?

chicorytip wrote: »
    This sounds bizarre. Are there not wetsuits available such as those worn by some competitors in the Liffey Swim or Triathlon events?

whats wrong with coaches in the water, in the same gear as the students ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

My coach has a casual friday look where it is just slacks and shirt with loafers otherwise it is a suit or a tuxedo.

Advertisement