Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Bicycle in Apartment - Landlord meltdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Get a cheap, secondhand and probably stolen bike for commuting and storing in common area. If you want a decent bike, arrange to store it somewhere else that is safe and just use your old bike to get to it. I cycled around Dublin for years, on an obviously oldish bike, locked it all sorts of places, never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gatling wrote: »
    Unless it's in the lease saying no bicycles allowed in the apartment ,he's just been a crank ,if he illegally evicts you out of the apartment it will cost him

It's likely to be in the apartment lease and the house rules applying to the MUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd say the issue is that if he relaxes the restriction, not all the tenants will be as diligent as yourselves in not damaging surfaces or dumping them in common areas.

OP, by the sounds of things the landlord is a horrible little man, so he's probably planning to up the rent and boot you's out anyway in February.

Until then, BRING THE BIKE INTO YOUR APARTMENT< stop worrying, and when he catches you doing it, simply tell him "fvck off sir".

he will NOT go to the RTB - and if he does, they will laugh him out of the place - also, the process would likely take longer than waiting for February to roll around, and he wont bother.

seriously, just dont worry about it, and store it in the apartment!!!!!

it's the ONLY solution. he will just have to deal with it.

he has absolutely way less rights than you as the tenant, and that's coming from me, a landlord!! you have more rights than he does, and he CAN NOT KICK YOU OUT for this reason _EVEN if it's in the lease!!!!

I have sympathy for the tenant and the landlord sounds like a bit unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't forbid our tenants from bringing bikes in. The landlord, however, owns the property. He set the lease, they read it and agreed to it. They don't then turn around and say we've changed my mind about abiding by the lease we signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I have sympathy for the tenant and the landlord sounds like a bit unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't forbid our tenants from bringing bikes in. The landlord, however, owns the property. He set the lease, they read it and agreed to it. They don't then turn around and say we've changed my mind about abiding by the lease we signed.

This is true. It is also enforceable by the grounds for termination table under reason 1 in the table in RTA 2004. It says if the tenant isn't complying with their obligations under the tenancy, they must give notice with reasonable time to remedy and if not, a notice of termination can be issued.

It's not ideal but it is a term of the agreed lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

As I said earlier I completely understand the landlords right to not allow bikes in the apartment and it's not that we've changed our minds on that, it's more the fact that he cannot provide the right security to stop our bikes from being robbed. We should be able to store them behind two gates with a very good lock on it and feel assured that it's safe but when he doesn't even have the security cameras working I feel he's letting down his side of the contract.

What does the lease say about the bike storage area, if anything?

What does the lease say about the bike storage area, if anything?

It says no bikes to be stored in the apartments or common areas but says nothing about providing appropriate security in the basement so we're goosed really I suppose...

jobr wrote: »
    It says no bikes to be stored in the apartments or common areas but says nothing about providing appropriate security in the basement so we're goosed really I suppose...

Yeah I'm sorry, this is a problem in many apartment complexes. They're easy targets for thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He sounds like a geebag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

The bike is carried straight out onto our partially covered balcony and blocks nothing out there, incidentally nobody can actually see onto our balcony so it's not being an eyesore or anything.
    With regard to shared space, we would never keep anything in a common area, it is simply carried through it but this seems to be his issue.

Its in the lease, you can't do it. It would be seen as a reasonable rule if complex wide, the same as not hanging washing over the railings, etc.

But it there has been a breach of duty of care in regards security, you could possibly have a case, it wouldn't be easy but it might prompt him to install more cameras, change access codes more frequently, etc.

This has been happening for years now (not just stealing bikes but trying to break into cars etc) and he hasn't done anything to increase the security.
    I found it pretty hilarious yesterday that when my husband said he didn't feel his bike was safe downstairs he suggested putting a cover over it, like unless it's an invisibility cloak I don't think that will stop the little s**ts! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

This is true. It is also enforceable by the grounds for termination table under reason 1 in the table in RTA 2004. It says if the tenant isn't complying with their obligations under the tenancy, they must give notice with reasonable time to remedy and if not, a notice of termination can be issued.

It's not ideal but it is a term of the agreed lease.

Easy remedy is "grand we're no longer storing it in the property, come and have a look" and go out for a cycle whilst he's inspecting the place.

The proof of this is the landlord saw you going into the common area with the bike. No proof it's in the unit. You could be putting it someone else's unit for all he knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

OP, by the sounds of things the landlord is a horrible little man, so he's probably planning to up the rent and boot you's out anyway in February.

Until then, BRING THE BIKE INTO YOUR APARTMENT< stop worrying, and when he catches you doing it, simply tell him "fvck off sir".

he will NOT go to the RTB - and if he does, they will laugh him out of the place - also, the process would likely take longer than waiting for February to roll around, and he wont bother.

seriously, just dont worry about it, and store it in the apartment!!!!!

it's the ONLY solution. he will just have to deal with it.

he has absolutely way less rights than you as the tenant, and that's coming from me, a landlord!! you have more rights than he does, and he CAN NOT KICK YOU OUT for this reason _EVEN if it's in the lease!!!!

Jesus Christ.

This post is scarily ignorant.

Look, whether you agree with bikes being allowed in apartments or not, the fact is the OP signed a lease saying they wouldn't have their bike in the apartment.

Simple as that. No one forced them to sign it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Explain the situation to him as reasonably as you can.

Tell him you need the bike and are concerned about it being stolen.

Tell him that you're extremely careful with the bike and mindful of damaging his property,furthermore you will happily make good any damage the bike may cause and stress to him its only a temporary measure.

You have my sympathy but it's really hard to get a completely secure parking area in apartment blocks. So many people have access and are coming and going and bikes are an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

august12 wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly the same thing

Only problem, someone would need to be home to lower the rope/winch, you couldn't leave the bike below while running up to lower the rope in the hope the bike would still be there when you got back down. On second thoughts, that doesn't seem like such a good plan after all.

There must be a way to do it by remote control - stand downstairs and press a button to lower the bike down to you in the mornings. When you get back in the evening, press a button to lower the hook, hook up the bike and press a button to raise it up before you run upstairs.

http://makezine.com/projects/swiveling-balcony-hoist/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Would it help if you got a folding bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is part 4 not 6 years now ? Where are you living isn't he restricted to how much he can raise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

This has been happening for years now (not just stealing bikes but trying to break into cars etc) and he hasn't done anything to increase the security.
    I found it pretty hilarious yesterday that when my husband said he didn't feel his bike was safe downstairs he suggested putting a cover over it, like unless it's an invisibility cloak I don't think that will stop the little s**ts! ��

You could get a cover and use it to cover the bike when carrying it through the building. It will stop the wheels or pedals from hitting the walls. I bought the below cover a few weeks ago for the same reason. It's stretchy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012V6YCNG/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get a bike carrier bag to fit the bike into and carry that into the apartment. Can't do any damage and no dirt or grime being brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

none of the above suggestions take into account it is written in the lease that bikes are not to be stored in the apartment.

If the landlord who owns the whole building gives an exemption to one tenant- he may as will give it to all, and in that scenario someone will eventually have an accident, or be careless and cause dirt/damage.

Ive never owned property in my life, but can none here see this from the landlords point of view? He/she is protecting their investment, and minimising cost of maintenance. Its a reasonable position.

Unfortunate for the OP - but the landlords not likely to be out stealing bikes. If i were the OP i would be concentrating my energy on getting camera situation improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

The landlord has your deposit. If you damage the walls he can use that to pay for the repairs when you move out. Until then he should get out of your life.

lcwill wrote:
    The landlord has your deposit. If you damage the walls he can use that to pay for the repairs when you move out. Until then he should get out of your life.

The OP signed a lease saying they wouldn't keep a bicycle in the apartment.

The OP did not sign a lease saying they wouldn't damage the walls when storing their bicycle in the apartment.

Do you see the difference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is no way I would leave bikes outside my apartment, just asking to be stolen. I have two in mine for years and everything is fine, sometimes they dirty the wall but it's easily cleaned.

Such an odd provision in a lease and I have to imagine it's unenforceable?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

The OP signed a lease saying they wouldn't keep a bicycle in the apartment.

The OP did not sign a lease saying they wouldn't damage the walls when storing their bicycle in the apartment.

Do you see the difference?

I am a landlord too. Their landlord needs to get a life and give his tenants some respect as adults who can decide where best to store their own bikes. If every landlord (or tenant) enforced every minor detail of a lease life would be hell for everybody. They are not affecting the other tenants, and it is unlikely that they will do serious damage to the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

lcwill wrote:
    I am a landlord too. Their landlord needs to get a life and give his tenants some respect as adults who can decide where best to store their own bikes.

The OP made an adult decision when the landlord gave them a choice to either sign a lease saying they wouldn't keep a bicycle in their apartment or not sign it.

The OP, as an adult, signed it.

The apartment is the landlord's property. He is renting it to the OP based on an agreed set of terms which the OP was given the chance to review and either agree with or disagree with.

They chose to agree and sign the contract. Now they're breaking the terms of that contract. Simple as.

Plenty of legitimate reason to have a go at landlords. Being upset at a tenant for breaking the terms of their lease is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Get better bike insurance.

Jesus.

OP I could understand his insistence on the matter if he was providing adequate security for the bikes outside he apartments.
    Yes, it's his apartment and yes he's entitled to have this written into the lease, but like, the quoted post above? seriously? Some landlords would do well to acknowledge that their tenants are actual, real human beings too and it's easier in the long run for all concerned if a good relationship can exist.

I would look to move. Whatever about not being able to have a pet, but a bike? Is there a rule about having a baby???? I mean, surely they would mark the walls too?

Advertisement