Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Bicycle in Apartment - Landlord meltdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

angiogoir wrote: »
    Well the landlord is incorrect. He cannot terminate a lease for that. Politely tell him to get lost.

Terms of the lease are enforceable through the RTB, as long as they are not contrary to your legal rights. The landlord is entitled to put such terms in, especially if they are extensions of the block rules from the management company. They absolutely can issue notice of termination if the OP were to continue bringing the bike into the apartment after having been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

beauf wrote: »
    Still doesn't make it his obligation though

Exactly. Security of the common areas - including the bike rack - is not the landlord's responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

angiogoir wrote:
    Well the landlord is incorrect. He cannot terminate a lease for that. Politely tell him to get lost.

Yes, he certainly can. You're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Exactly. Security of the common areas - including the bike rack - is not the landlord's responsibility.

What about when it is just the one landlord whose company owns the entire complex and manages it?

jobr wrote: »
    What about when it is just the one landlord whose company owns the entire complex and manages it?

It is the obligation of the management company, of which the landlord is a member. It is not in your lease so is not an obligation for the tenancy.

As I mentioned above, the management company prioritises work on cost and collected fees. If the management company is only the one landlord, he may have been neglecting security as an issue. You can write to the management company for a response to the issue of security for the block and they are obligated to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

gizmo555 wrote:
    Why? How is it your landlord's repsonsibility to secure your bikes?

I'd say in most modern countries where people live in apartments etc people are accommodated with adequate storage space for bikes washing drying facilities it's also accepted that people will have bikes as a mode of transport sometimes it may be their only mode of transportation so it needs to be considered when apartments are being designed etc

jobr wrote:
    For the third time I am agreeing that I know we should never have stored a bike in the apartment when it is in our lease but come on, he should also be providing adequate security so you're not genuinely hoping every morning when you go downstairs that it will actually still be there so you can get to work on time!

I'd store it inside . Buy a floor stand that goes around the axle and allows the bike to free stand and that you won't be leaning it up against furniture etc even stick a mat underneath and even show the landlord as your bike is worth so much that you treat it with kid gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It is the obligation of the management company, ...

Again no matter that they do, very little is going to stop someone who is prepared to angle grind the locks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

There is no security that can stop the theft of bikes or cars from anywhere.
    It's just not possible. So all you will get from your MC is best effort.
    If you want more effort you have to pay for it yourself. And just because your bike MAY get stolen from anywhere outside you apartment it doesn't meant you can ignore the lease.
    Also it may get stolen from inside your apt too.

beauf wrote: »
    Again no matter that they do, very little is going to stop someone who is prepared to angle grind the locks off.

I'm totally with you there. However with the spate of bicycle thefts, it behooves the management company to demonstrate an effort at making the situation better. The OP wants them to increase security which they may only do if enough complaints are made. It won't stop thefts, it may prevent some depending on the amount of effort the thieves are willing to put in. They've clearly defeated this block's security multiple times now but if they were suddenly up against beefed up security they might move on to their next target (I expect they're probably doing a rotation of targets).

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

My ex and I had his bike covered under the house contents insurance. That said it increased our premium by more than double and after some shopping around it was clear some insurers don't cover bikes due to theft being so common.
    While it may be stated in the lease about not having a bike indoors, the fact that the landlord appears disinterested in having security fit for purpose would be enough for me to disregard it tbh. The fact he is essentially the owner and the management company, I don't believe you will get much joy out of him even if you approach him reasonably.
    I would buy a cover for the bike and bring it upstairs and store it there. Due to the rent cap rules, I don't think your rent can increase by more than 4%. As someone previously mentioned if your landlord was to complain to the PTRB, I don't think much would be made of it. To be honest I doubt he would especially as if this is his only issue. Unless you are planning on living there forever I probably wouldn't worry about it. As someone said if he sees you are carrying upstairs you can say you are bringing it up to fix it/wash it the shower etc etc,

• Advertisement

I'm totally with you there. However with the spate of bicycle thefts, it behooves the management company to demonstrate an effort at making the situation better. The OP wants them to increase security which they may only do if enough complaints are made. It won't stop thefts, it may prevent some depending on the amount of effort the thieves are willing to put in. They've clearly defeated this block's security multiple times now but if they were suddenly up against beefed up security they might move on to their next target (I expect they're probably doing a rotation of targets).

If I were that property owner I would get a report on a new security system for bikes, find out how many people want to opt in to that system as it would only for their use. And the divide up the cost and the maintenance among those opting in. Or maybe rent them an area of the car park to themselves and let them get a community system in where they pay for it themselves on an onging basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

There is no security that can stop the theft of bikes or cars from anywhere. It's just not possible. So all you will get from your MC is best effort. If you want more effort you have to pay for it yourself. And just because your bike MAY get stolen from anywhere outside you apartment it doesn't meant you can ignore the lease. Also it may get stolen from inside your apt too.

Your right if your bike is valuable enough a professional thief will go about stealing it but that goes for everything. Basically what needs to be done is to inconvenience the opportunist thief from stealing your valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

A security gate not being secure, and CCTV not working, are safety issues. If you approach a complaint from that angle, it will be harder for the mgt company to ignore it.

A security gate not being secure, and CCTV not working, are safety issues. If you approach a complaint from that angle, it will be harder for the mgt company to ignore it.

I think you'll find that most CCTV is not adequate and security gates open from time to time by their nature.

I know someone who actually had the culprit in full view on camera and showed the Gardai the recording . The Gardai knew who it was and named him and then said CCTV footage was not sufficient to identify him if they were to chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I think OP should pursue the mgmt company, get a few neighbours and make noise at the AGM.
    also a gps tracker hidden on the bike will help you get it back if its taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

re: GPS trackers, I'm aware of cheap ones like Tile and Trackr. I'd love to get one and play around with it but I don't really need one. They have limitations because they're relying on somebody close by who's running the relevant bluetooth app on a smartphone. Are there trackers that are more effective than these that don't cost hundreds?

I think OP should pursue the mgmt company, get a few neighbours and make noise at the AGM.
    also a gps tracker hidden on the bike will help you get it back if its taken.

If one person owns the entire building then he is the management company and renters cannot attend the AGM even if there is one as I assume as he is the only owner he does not need to hold one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I....They've clearly defeated this block's security multiple times now but if they were suddenly up against beefed up security ....

They'd beef up the attack.

Hey if was me I'd do it. But this LL hasn't done it years. I think its unlikely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

jobr wrote: »
    Seriously? How about this, when viewing the apartment for the first time you are shown the two secure gates, the multiple security cameras, the bike racks in the underground carpark and you're going to assume that thankfully, safety is important to him.

Instead, it only takes a bit of tape to keep the gates open, the cameras don't work and the racks can be very easily lifted straight out of the ground. It's essentially false advertising and he has done nothing to improve the security there over the last 3.5 years.

I've experienced this before with young scrotes following negligent neighbours into an underground parking garage. The firs time, 9 cars were broken into but apart from a few clubs, no one reported anything stolen. The second time, 8 car windows were broken. There is simply no 100% effective gate where humans are involved - they would only have been able to tape over the sensors because whoever opened the gate drove off without waiting for them to close and realistically that is how everyone operates. By your own admission, they only targeted the valuable bikes and likely did so because they had previously seen them being ridden in. CCTV would do little other than act as a deterrent. The fact that the bike stands could easily be demounted is the only true criticism and even then that is pretty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is really simple a bike causes more wear and tear. Many residents don't like people bring bicycles through common areas and more importantly they don't fit in lifts and have to be put up one wheel to fit in. I experienced this many times in lifts with a dirt dripping bicycle. The other residents shouldn't have to put up with this and that is where the problem lies. It puts out others for your convenience.

I have lots of sympathy about it but ultimately most apartments do not allow it. They also don't allow for things to be stored on the balconies.

I also cycle and think it should be encouraged

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is really simple a bike causes more wear and tear. Many residents don't like people bring bicycles through common areas and more importantly they don't fit in lifts and have to be put up one wheel to fit in. I experienced this many times in lifts with a dirt dripping bicycle. The other residents shouldn't have to put up with this and that is where the problem lies. It puts out others for your convenience.

I have lots of sympathy about it but ultimately most apartments do not allow it. They also don't allow for things to be stored on the balconies.

I am very careful in my house when bringing my bike in. Yet there are marks from pedals, handlebars and tyres all over the hall and lumps out of the back door. Not to mention as you say, the dripping muck.
    If my wife had a say it would be banned from the house and left outside on the front lawn forever.

And tbh she would be right.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ray Palmer wrote: »

I have never seen an apartment complex with such a rule.

I have kept two bikes in my apartment for 5 years now. There are minor marks on the paint on the wall in a few places where we've accidentally brushed against them, but no real damage. The place is due a re-paint anyway, and I'd say this is normal wear and tear anyway.

The storing things on the balcony rule is for aesthetics more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

A friend of mine had two triathlon bikes stolen off her balcony. The lads reversed up with a cherry picker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People advocating the tenant being unreasonable due to "scuffing walls" sounds very much like landlords wanting people to sit in their house, pay rent each month, but not actually behave like human beings.

If I was OP I'd be bringing my bike into the apartment regardless, if the landlord doesn't like the explanation then tough ****, if they want to cover the costs of numerous stolen bikes then I'd happily play ball.

Apartment living sounds like an absolute nightmare tbh. And it nonsense like this and the landlord behaviour that puts people off apartment living in the first place, when we would have narratives of "people need to be moving into apartments and stop assuming they will own a house"

TheDoc wrote: »
    People advocating the tenant being unreasonable due to "scuffing walls" sounds very much like landlords wanting people to sit in their house, pay rent each month, but not actually behave like human beings.

If I was OP I'd be bringing my bike into the apartment regardless, if the landlord doesn't like the explanation then tough ****, if they want to cover the costs of numerous stolen bikes then I'd happily play ball.

Apartment living sounds like an absolute nightmare tbh. And it nonsense like this and the landlord behaviour that puts people off apartment living in the first place, when we would have narratives of "people need to be moving into apartments and stop assuming they will own a house"

In fairness most landlords are reasonable, I do not think rules like this are the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

awec wrote: »

I have kept two bikes in my apartment for 5 years now. There are minor marks on the paint on the wall in a few places where we've accidentally brushed against them, but no real damage. The place is due a re-paint anyway, and I'd say this is normal wear and tear anyway.

The storing things on the balcony rule is for aesthetics more than anything else.

anywhere i have lived previously had it and proper order too, same with hanging washing on balconys, it looks awful

bringing a bike up through common areas is messy and shouldnt be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

awec wrote: »

The rule is in the house rules where I live. I choose to ignore it myself but I can see why it's there.

If people start bringing in muddy mountain bikes leaving a trail of mud and oil everywhere then the place will look shabby. I can happily carry my road bike from the block door, into the lift, in through another door and then into my apartment without it touching the ground but it's easier to just ban all bikes that get into specifics.

It might not be specifically in the OPs lease about bikes but if following the house rules is in the lease, and the house rules say no bikes, then that's that.

We recently had a large new purpose-built bicycle storage area built, floor to ceiling concrete, down in a secure basement carpark. Scumbags broke through the solid metal door anyway. Having had a BSO stolen from the carpark years ago I'll keep my good bike upstairs thanks.

Cyrus wrote: »
    anywhere i have lived previously had it and proper order too, same with hanging washing on balconys, it looks awful

bringing a bike up through common areas is messy and shouldnt be allowed

I don't store my bikes on the balcony, I agree with that rule because it does look awful and it is completely fair that a landlord wants to maintain a good aesthetic standard of their development. Ours live in the cupboard with the washing machine.

The bike security in our complex is a joke, it's a fence that you could cut with a 5 euro tool from woodies. I keep my cheap runaround bike down there.

In my last apartment I kept my bike downstairs because the complex had proper bike security. If landlords don't want bikes brought upstairs they should provide adequate security downstairs, otherwise whinging when tenants ignore the rules is a waste of time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

brianomc wrote: »
    Having had a BSO stolen from the carpark years ago I'll keep my good bike upstairs thanks.
    I would probably be inclined to do the same but I would hoping not to be caught. Eventually you would get caught and would have to put up with the fact you decided to break the rules. To ignore the rules is the unreasonable thing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

re: GPS trackers, I'm aware of cheap ones like Tile and Trackr. I'd love to get one and play around with it but I don't really need one. They have limitations because they're relying on somebody close by who's running the relevant bluetooth app on a smartphone. Are there trackers that are more effective than these that don't cost hundreds?

Something like this? No personal experience of these

https://www.munstergps.ie/product/hidnseek-sigfox-sim-free-gps-tracker/

Advertisement