Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Bicycle in Apartment - Landlord meltdown

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Just to provide an update, my husband was following the rules and keeping his bike locked downstairs so of course it was robbed yesterday evening. He called the landlord who told him he probably didn't have it locked properly (of course he did he's not an idiot), I swear if rents were in any way normal right now we would just move out.
    Luckily I haven't picked up my new bike yet (had been too worried to have it downstairs while I was away for a couple of weeks) so will need to change the order to another bike for him as he needs his to get to work.
    These absolute sc*mbags just get away with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

ffs, that is a joke OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

That's crap but if there have been robberies there before then they are going to continue. Could he get a brompton fold up bike ? That way he can carry it in an out.

....... wrote: »

What do you expect the RTB to do?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

A more vindictive person would go the the Gardai and mention that they believe due to the number of thefts and lack of security, along with the landlords refusal to allow anyone to store their bikes inside, that somehow the landlord is making a profit from such thefts.

Like I said, a vindictive person may do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unless the LL originally agreed to safely store their bikes and since have broken the agreement I think they're unfortunately stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd be taking the landlord to,the small claims court , for the second theft,As he is negligent due to his knowledge of a potential problem which he did nothing to address. Ironically this may strengthen the tenants rights in the event of a future dispute with prtp .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

TheChizler wrote: »
    Unless the LL originally agreed to safely store their bikes and since have broken the agreement I think they're unfortunately stuck.

It might be worth checking if the lease (or advertising) made any reference to secure underground parking.

• Advertisement

Its a common thing in the head lease of apartment blocks to prohibit bike storage inside so I don't think the RTB will find it an unreasonable clause in anyway.

There is no way the RTB will find the LL responsible for the safety of bikes. Did you ever read the signs when you enter a car park saying that the management take no responsibility for any damage, theft etc while parked there? well its the very same in these situations. No LL or management company in any complex in the country will take responsibility for parked cars or bikes.

I have sympathy for the op but I feel they would be totally wasting their time and the RTB's time in trying to take a case against the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It might be worth checking if the lease (or advertising) made any reference to secure underground parking.

It doesn't unfortunately.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104407855&postcount=39

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Op, just keep the bike in the apartment from now on. Is there CCTV outside the apartment where you can be seen coming and going. If he "catches" you just say you are doing incidental maintenance. Unless you admit you are storing the bike in the apartment, what conclusive proof has he that you are doing it? Allow an inspection when you are out on a spin on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Spin a story to the landlord that he must be part of a bike smuggling ring. He's provided ineffective security and is forcing his tenants to keep valuable bikes, which are virtually untraceable, in an unsecured location knowing that they are robbed time and time again. One could imagine Mr. Landlord, that a person in that situation could be receiving a percentage.

While I'm sure that's not true I think I'd be so outraged and annoyed and set on the prospect of moving, that'd I'd half jokingly mention it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

re: GPS trackers, I'm aware of cheap ones like Tile and Trackr. I'd love to get one and play around with it but I don't really need one. They have limitations because they're relying on somebody close by who's running the relevant bluetooth app on a smartphone. Are there trackers that are more effective than these that don't cost hundreds?

OP should buy a tracker. There's one you can get that takes a sim card and you just text the number and the tracker responds with its GPS position. No fancy apps necessary. It would fit nicely under the saddle....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The simple solution is to put a cover over the bike and bring it upstairs. That way it won't mark the common area walls and have a mat inside the apartment to soak up moisture and dirt and any moisture dripping onto the hallways in transit to the apartment is no more than your shoes or a pram.

I know he doesn't want bikes inside, but that's being unreasonable as long as you're being careful with it and not marking the paint or carpet/floor.

Is the rent difference really that bad when you factor in the cost of new bikes?

Do you have a parking space op and if so do you use it?

If you have an empty parking space buy an old clapped out transit or similar van for a few 100 euro. Park it in your spot and store your bikes in the back of it. A fairly cheap and straight forward way to securely store your bikes. The van doesn't even need to be derivable, just tow it there and it wont require tax or insurance as its on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CroFag

Omg, which time is this that your bike was stolen in this building, third, forth? I would move out for sure, it's not a healthy environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

@jobr, have you formally requested the landlord to remedy this via the management company yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACycling&page=2

Would this help?
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page it's a bike cover. You could just wrap the bike in it and carry it up. Maybe LL would compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Advertisement