Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenders or no fenders on your commuter bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

beauf wrote: »
    I don't get it either. maybe the mudguards people are using are too short or too far from the wheel or too narrow.

I have a bag on my carrier on my commuter and it doesn't catch any spray.

I come back from winter spins looking like I've face planted a ditch. Big love for the front on a filthy winter spin!
    It's the angle of the rear mudguard in my experience, shoots it straight back up.
    Some work, some don't. It's not brand dependant, but angle/installation that makes the difference imo, I've gathered significant empirical evidence of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

caputmundi wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been discussed before, but I'm interested in knowing your views on having or not having fenders Mudguards on the bike you use to commute and the reasons behind it. On the one hand it seems like a no brainer, it keeps you and commuters behind you clean. On the other it looks better but makes your commuting more challenging, if you get what I mean. I never thought about this until starting the debate with a friend. Maybe it's just a case of functionality over aesthetics.

Fixed your post ......

And dont cycle on the pavement , i mean footpath .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I'm confused... How do you play guitar while cycling?

37e08588be9b6caffd1f5c529a05488d.jpg

Im more a Gibson Les Paul man myself !! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In my mind, a bike without mudguards (and by extension the lights/reflectors that come with them) can not be called a commuter bike.

But I commute in regular clothes...the same clothes I sit in the office with for eight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd have mudguards on my commuter from about October to April. I use them mainly to keep the bike clean and cut down on maintenance and they do keep the arse a bit dryer.

I don't really understand anyone who says its respectful to other commuters. I commute by bike every day and I've never been sprayed by someone else because I wouldn't be drafting strangers.
    Where do you commute? Because I can tell you that in both the N11 and rock road you'll either be behind people or have people behind them , and it's nit drafting its traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

bought crud roadracer mk3 mudguards for my giant contend a few weeks ago but they don't fit i'm running 25mm, does anyone in here use the sks raceblades i'm thinking of getting a set of those but worried they won't fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Raceblades will fit 25's fine. I've been using a set with Conti UltraSport2 28's and they just about fit underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Couldn't believe how few cyclists on the Sean Kelly yesterday bothered to fit mudguards. At least when it was raining, the mud etc being thrown up didn't really stay on your face and glasses. When it eased off and the roads were still wet was a lot worse and a peaked hat didn't prevent muck coming up under the glasses. I was going to suggest they get a supply of eye-wash at the food stops!

Regarding mudguard fit, there are two critical measurements- the clearance below the brake bolt (assuming you have conventional brakes) and the size of the tyre. The first will probably dictate what type of mudguard will fit and the second will affect the size.

Most mudguards that don't extend below the hub level of the wheel will result in water dripping back onto the tyre and being directed back on whoever is behind. In some clubs they are referred to as "greedy bastards"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

When I first started commuting I didn't have mudguards and looking back I can't believe I stuck it out as I had a soggy wet arse every other day. Picked up a pair of SKS mudguards for €20 to fit to the bike, they're not perfect and they rub sometimes but still up there with the best €20 I've ever spent!

I still get wet shoes/socks on bad days... might try attach something to the front mudguard to make it a bit longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are any tyre designs better than others for flinging up water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

jive wrote: »
    I still get wet shoes/socks on bad days... might try attach something to the front mudguard to make it a bit longer.

I did something similar to what they recommend here:
    http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html

I used plastic milk jug material and small nuts and bolts. There are definitely nicer-looking materials you could use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Any recommendations for full mudguards, with the extra flap bits if possible, for a bike without the eyelets? Have used crud catchers but find them finicky and have broken on me once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I did something similar to what they recommend here:
    http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html

I used plastic milk jug material and small nuts and bolts. There are definitely nicer-looking materials you could use though.

Brilliant, thanks for that. My bike is so ugly a sliced up milk jug would actually improve the aesthetics of it so no fears there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Well, this is what the front one ended up looking like:
    135339.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

joey100 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for full mudguards, with the extra flap bits if possible, for a bike without the eyelets? Have used crud catchers but find them finicky and have broken on me once or twice.

The SKS Raceblade Long certainly give good protection, have flaps and fit most bikes with conventional brakes once they have 3 or 4mm clearance. No need for eyelets as they fit onto the hub skewers. They do leave a small gap at the brakes and the quick release clips can get gunged up and stick closed or worse, open. They come with a three year warranty and have replaced mine on a few occasions.

BBB do a similar mudguard but a few club members have had problems with the plastic stays breaking. Not sure what warranty they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

The SKS Raceblade Long certainly give good protection, have flaps and fit most bikes with conventional brakes once they have 3 or 4mm clearance. No need for eyelets as they fit onto the hub skewers. They do leave a small gap at the brakes and the quick release clips can get gunged up and stick closed or worse, open. They come with a three year warranty and have replaced mine on a few occasions.

BBB do a similar mudguard but a few club members have had problems with the plastic stays breaking. Not sure what warranty they have.
    Avoid BBB for sure. Had the stays snap off without any type of impact or abuse. They just snapped one day and nearly went through the wheel. Also clearance and constant adjustment needed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 caputmundi

Thank you guys for your input. I'll definitely keep my fenders.

As for why I call them fenders instead of mudguards, it boils down to English not being my first language and having learned most of what I know from the yankees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

On club spins do members use mudguards in winter months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A lot of clubs would require it. Good manners really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a requirement in many clubs (usually from the period where the clocks go back until they go forward again). I tend to fit them any time of the year if I know it's going to be wet. It could be 'policed' better when the rule is in place in my club as there's always one or two who don't bother.

I'm not pushed about them on my commuter bike as the journey is only 20k each way and I'm not bothered about getting wet.

• Advertisement

... No need for eyelets as they fit onto the hub skewers....
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know if it's possible to get something similar to Raceguards but with fittings for wheels with conventional bolts rather than skewers (for a bike with no eyelets or skewers)?

(I enquired at a few bike shops but they said they had never heard of any.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just get raceblades that attach to the front forks and back frame

ted1 wrote: »
    Just get raceblades that attach to the front forks and back frame
    Thanks, but I should have clarified that I'm not interested in any of those awful frame clip-on yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if it's possible to get something similar to Raceguards but with fittings for wheels with conventional bolts rather than skewers (for a bike with no eyelets or skewers)?

(I enquired at a few bike shops but they said they had never heard of any.)

Tortec P Clips should work independent of quick release or a fixed gear bolt axel.

Then you can just use standard mudguard fixings.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107619

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Tortec P Clips should work independent of quick release or a fixed gear bolt axel.

Then you can just use standard mudguard fixings.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107619
    Thanks OleRodrigo. I'll try those.

Advertisement