Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to go with this upgrade but do I really need a new PSU?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think you need to upgrade CPU now at all. Either a) overclock that 3570K as it was intended for or b) get a 3770K for €150 and save yourself the hassle of having to swap out board, ram, etc. Ryzen won't give you much gains.

You don't need a new GPU really either at 1080p 60hz, so leave that out until you get a new monitor. You would really need something like a GTX1070 (€450) to get an upgrade on the GTX780Ti, the GTX1060 6GB (€280) is closer to a sidestep really in performance. Also definitely don't need a new PSU.

At the moment, I would literally get a new monitor.....if it was me, I'd replace with a 3770K, GTX1070 and 1440p monitor overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

I know my PSU is high quality but was worried about its age. Put on your advice I'll keep that, saves me the guts of 100 euro.

I have a new case so I will be taking the thing apart anyway, which has given me the upgrade itch.

I am happy with my GPU until the cryptocurrency crisis subsides or until I upgrade to a 1440p Monitor, (was looking at some used 34" UW 1440p monitors (no adaptive sync)). In my view the price of new 27 inch adaptive sync IPS panels are too high and will come down in the coming years. 

The original reason I wanted to upgrade was that I was running out or memory when doing analysis in R for bioinformatics. It felt like a waste to spend money on DDR3 memory when I will eventually upgrade to DDR4 anyway.

So my PC is not only for gaming, my CPU is fine i quess but I think for the analysis I plan on doing the Ryzen 1600 would give a great boost. Conceptionally, it is also hard to grasp that a 5 year old CPU could not be improved upon. Although it might be worth waiting for the coffee lake announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

(per this review)
    Your PC components are using around 440W, so by the PSU's efficiency (84.5% eff @ 68% load) you're using ~520W during full power, and the PSU is in the 30-31dB range for noise.

If you upgraded the PSU to a great model, e.g. [url="https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_650/6.html]EVGA Supernova G2 650W[/url], not only would you use less power (440W @ 91% = 484W) but it would also be near-silent under full load (20-24dB).

Thanks for the input its great to get a diversity of opinions.

Noise is a concern, I'm back living in a shared house and the PC can get noisy in the corner. Which is why I went with the Fractal Design Define S, which has good sound proofing for the cost.

My concern is that if I went with a Ryzen 7 + vega I would need more power. Plus it's modular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Where would I look for i7 3770K for €150? Ebay seems to average around 180 to 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Undervolted Vega 56 would use 210W
    For comparison, your GTX 780 Ti is in the 222-298W region.

Ryzen 7 would use less power than the i5-3570K unless you put stupid amount of voltage through the cores.

Yeah I forgot that components have become gradually more power efficient over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Where would I look for i7 3770K for €150? Ebay seems to average around 180 to 200.

Keep an eye on Ebay or Adverts and you will get one for a good price - I have seen 3770 non-K sell for as little as €80 on Adverts.

It's not a waste of money to buy DDR3 really, as a) 2nd hand DDR3 is cheap and b) it'll give a considerable longevity.

Obviously if you're dead set on an upgrade Ryzen 1600 is a good choice, but it seems a shame that you would have spent significant cash on a K processor and higher-end board for overclocking, without doing so.

I also am clueless as to how demanding statistical software is or how well individual software would be geared towards multi-core/threads.

In your case I would just sell the entire PC as it is for a decent amount and build new including a new PSU to be honest. It will be worth more as a working, relatively strong performing PC than it would as parts.

You could nick the SSD and just leave it with a normal HDD, that won't really affect the sale price in most cases.

Then you have lunatics selling for 290 and saying it reasonable because he dropped it from 390 e.:

LOL

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/intel-3rd-generation-core-ivy-bridge-i7-3770k-quadcore-3-50ghz-socket-1155/12880448

Maybe you are right about selling the PC as it is. That is a great idea.

I could keep the GPU monitor and SSD. Reinstall windows on the HDD

I would like to take the windows licence with me though, I guess there is a way to leave windows installed but 'remove' the licence.

Wonder what I'd get for the PC without the GPU?

Advertisement