Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Benefit

Options
  • 17-08-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all
    Just looking for some information on maternity benefit. I am expecting baby no 2 and work 3 days per week and earn arounf €250_€270 per week i don't pay tax i pay usc and union fees my employer obviously pays prsi for me.
    I worked full time untill i went back to work after having my first child. I will be back to work for almost three years when this baby is born.
    I don't claim social welfare.

Am i entitled to maternity benefit

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

If you are employed you must have:

At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave
    Or

At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2017, the relevant tax year is 2015 and the year following that is 2016.
    Or

At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2017, the relevant tax year is 2015 and the year before that is 2014.
    If you do not meet these PRSI conditions and you were self-employed before starting work as an employee, you can use your Class S contributions to qualify for Maternity Benefit - see PRSI conditions for self-employed people below.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 louq1984

Thanks. Yes i see that just wondering does employers prsi count towards those contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

louq1984 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes i see that just wondering does employers prsi count towards those contributions.

You get a PRSI week even if you are below the threshold of payment so would assume so yes. If you work 52 weeks a year but never pay PRSI, you still have 52 contributions.

Advertisement