Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home chest and arm/upper body programme

• 17-08-2017 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any good chest/upper body programmes that can be done at home? I am doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu and cycling at the moment but I want to build my chest a bit too but I'm not currently a gym member and I don't plan to join one so I don't have easy access to a bench, barbell etc.

Is there anything I can do at home with limited/no equipment that will help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Training chest without training back can be a bad idea. Best if you do both.

Buy a pullup bar for a doorway and have a read of this thread. Pullups and chinups will work the lats and biceps. Could also do some pushups for chest and triceps.

Limiting yourself to just these will only get you so far. But in your circumstances, it would probably do for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah, a ton of pushups and pullups will hit the majority of the upper body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Wide grip pullups and wide grip pressups..do a load of sit ups too to strengthen your core

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks. The pullup bars seem to have a 100kg limit and I'm currently around 106kg so I think that rules them out for now.

I probably could and should start doing push-ups although I will have to do the knee version initially as I can't do a normal one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

veganrun wrote: »
    Thanks. The pullup bars seem to have a 100kg limit and I'm currently around 106kg so I think that rules them out for now.

I probably could and should start doing push-ups although I will have to do the knee version initially as I can't do a normal one :(

Here's an example of one that takes up to 120kg

http://www.mcsport.ie/p/fitness-mad-universal-training-bar/fpullup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd just be worried that door pullup bars would bring the doorframe crashing down. Not basing that on anything solid, just my own thoughts.

Those pullup mates I see plastered all over facebook might do the job. They're more expensive, but portable and compact and has a 110kg recommended restriction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd just be worried that door pullup bars would bring the doorframe crashing down. Not basing that on anything solid, just my own thoughts.

Shouldn't do. Mate used to do weighted pull ups on them in his apartment and there was never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Guy weighs 106kg = Pull-ups are hard

Your gonna have to get a dumbbell, so either Argos/one of your friends/adverts.ie

Pushups.
    One arm dumbbell floor press on the ground.
    Reverse fly's holding plates.
    DB shoulder press
    OH tricep extensions
    DB rows
    Band pull aparts, get a band
    Side raises
    Curls

All you need is one adjustable dumbbell and a light band.

I forgot to mention I do have a rack and bench back home but not at my current place where I'm renting and I most likely won't be moving them here as I don't have the space. I did try pullups on that rack and it was awful, I couldn't even do one.

I do have dumbbells so I can bring those here the next time I'm home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

veganrun wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good chest/upper body programmes that can be done at home? I am doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu and cycling at the moment but I want to build my chest a bit too but I'm not currently a gym member and I don't plan to join one so I don't have easy access to a bench, barbell etc.

Is there anything I can do at home with limited/no equipment that will help?

BJJ can be pretty tough on your body and joints. I'd keep mobility in mind as much as weights/resistance training. And don't neglect your legs.

Push-ups
    Rows
    Some sort of overhead/vertical pressing
    Pullup progression
    Squats/Single leg squats
    Hip Thrusts/Glute Bridges/Back Bridges (this one is huge)
    Biceps
    Triceps
    Some sort of core work

Lots of mobility work. Not just warm up. Take 20-60mins in front of the TV to work on mobility/yoga/stretching

• Advertisement

Found this programme online. Seems doable.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

don't know if the pullup bar I had was weight-restricted but it came out of the doorway I was using and I split both elbows to the bone..make sure it's secure!

I'm not going to bother with the pull up bar.

Turns out I can get a discounted gym membership through the place I'm doing jiu-jitsu. It works out £10 a month with no contract so I might give that a go and start stronglifts 5x5 again.

Advertisement