Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwarranted fine for M50 toll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

volvovolvo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your father passed away RIP.
    I imagine that the financial wing of the toll bridge monopoly were disappointed to hear your Dad had died because they couldn't hound him any more with fines and threatening letters.
    I imagine that you were not under any legal obligation to pay for your fathers toll bridge use.
    However if your father left assets then maybe they could have went after them, I am surprised they didn't.
    However I am not sure of the law in this area.

Wow.

Just wow.

When I registered my vehicle I put my name,address, phone number and email on yhe same form.
    That is most likely where the toll monopoly got my address from, they could easily operate a system of automated parallel emails and text messages reminders instead of demanding urgent dirty fines.
    They prefer a flow of easy ill gotten fines from soft targets like the elderly, the stressed, the unorganized, the time poor, agency workers, shift workers, etc.

You don't have to supply an email or phone number. You chose to. Having said that I have already explained why they would not be used.

Now that's enough tin foil hattery for one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The toll company are gangsters.

It's like they are trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 volvovolvo

[quote.="Petyr Baelish;104627037"]You don't have to supply an email or phone number. You chose to. Having said that I have already explained why they would not be used.

Now that's enough tin foil hattery for one night.[/quote]

I wonder with all the money that the M50 toll bridge monopoly collect could they afford to pay a few people on line to try to paint or stick a veneer over to cover their greed.
    Are there people around who would do that for money.
    What type of people would try to defend a large corporate monopoly which operstes as a legalized highway man then preys on old, vulnerable, time pressurred, stressed unfortunates who over look paying a toll charge which they dictated to be due within 24 hours, then demands dirty gross fines from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 volvovolvo

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The toll company are gangsters.

It's like they are trying to pull a fast one.

I agree, I also think that their system is designed to try to rope in as many registered users as possible for to maximize the eventual sale value of their monopoly.
    In the meantime they prey on stressed, forget full, time pressured, elderly, ill and vulnerable people by demanding growing fines within a very short time window.
    They sort of remind me of unscrupulous credit card companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When I registered my vehicle I put my name,address, phone number and email on yhe same form.
    That is most likely where the toll monopoly got my address from, they could easily operate a system of automated parallel emails and text messages reminders instead of demanding urgent dirty fines.
    They prefer a flow of easy ill gotten fines from soft targets like the elderly, the stressed, the unorganized, the time poor, agency workers, shift workers, etc.

There's multiple toll companies and several free options for crossing the Liffey. So it's not a monopoly and if you are so against it don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I wonder with all the money that the M50 toll bridge monopoly collect could they afford to pay a few people on line to try to paint or stick a veneer over to cover their greed.

If eFlow want to pay me to tell you that you're being ridiculous, I won't say no but I'll give them this one for free.

The toll operators are paid a fee to collect the toll and pass it onto the state. If you have a problem with the rates, timeframes or penalties, your problem is with the government, not the company paid to collect it. Get on the phone to your local TD and express your unhappiness.

Any suggestion that they prey on the sick or elderly is lunacy of the highest order. They collect tolls from people who choose to use the toll. They apply penalties to people who fail to pay. You've been given examples of people who've had those penalties waved.

[quote.="Petyr Baelish;104627037"]You don't have to supply an email or phone number. You chose to. Having said that I have already explained why they would not be used.

Now that's enough tin foil hattery for one night.

Are there people around who would do that for money.
    What type of people would try to defend a large corporate monopoly which operstes as a legalized highway man then preys on old, vulnerable, time pressurred, stressed unfortunates who over look paying a toll charge which they dictated to be due within 24 hours, then demands dirty gross fines from them.[/quote]

Tin foil hat officially confirmed. That's fine serious paranoia you've got going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

they could easily operate a system of automated parallel emails and text messages reminders instead of demanding urgent dirty fines.

The M50 is a toll road. It has been a toll road from day one. It is plastered with signs reminding you to pay the fine. I don't know you think, people need to be heavily reminded to pay a toll on a road that they know is a toll road. I don't know where you are getting a notion that people need to be reminded that it is a toll road and they used it.

They should make allowances for the "unorganised"? Are you serious? Why should a company have to bend over backwards for someone who is not organised?

If are working shifts or incapable of functioning in a modern society or as you like to call it "unorganised", it is not that difficult to set up an account. Instead of blaming eFlow, people need personal responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The M50 is the most used road in Ireland it should not be tolled.

I think the whole toll concept is a scam just look at the east link bridge even 30 years after its built they are still charging motorists when its supposed to be free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement