Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need to object to a planning application?

Options
  • 17-08-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

We live in a 3 bed semi in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.
    There’s a possibility that our neighbours will apply for planning for a 2 storey rear extension.
    Anything above a single storey extension will significantly overshadow the rear of our house.
    The back of our house faces due west and they are the house to our south, separated by a shared 1.5m alley.
    Our houses are about 6m wide.

I have looked back at the planning applications for our estate and an adjoining estate for the last 10 years.
    The only time that planning permission has ever been granted for a rear 2 storey extension, was when it was on the west end of a row of houses and overshadowing wasn’t a concern.
    In most of the failed cases, objections were lodged by the overshadowed neighbour, but in some cases they weren’t.

We really couldn’t hope for nicer neighbours; they’re very easy going and friendly.
    Our fear is that if we object to a planning proposal from them that it will sour relations between us however.
    If we don’t object, and the council approves the proposal because there were no objections, then we’ll be living in a house that’s significantly darker from now on.

Does anyone know if the Council will check overshadowing by default in an application in which case we may not need to object, or if they’ll only consider it if an adjoining property makes a submission?
    Has anyone been in a similar situation before and how did it work out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you my neighbour? We've the same Set up. The architects have told us that with a flat roof or gentle slope on the extension that it won't cast to much if a shadow. Out 20ft ground floor and 8 foot top floor. They've also said that if we were adjoining you could appeal it but the fact that there's an alley it'll eliminate most the shadow.

With the rear garden facing west the sun will only affect the rear for about 2 hours a day as in the morning it's in the front of the house and midday over the house and mid afternoon it's past the extension and sets behind the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

have you actually discussed this with your neighbour? that should be your 1st port of call; you say you get on well with them. Let them know your concerns, and see if you can agree a compromise solution.

your within your rights to object, but i wouldn't throw a good relationship away without even discussing 1st. ps it would be quite the coinkydink if the above poster is your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you my neighbour?

This is going to be interesting. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Talk to your neighbour about it, either in person or on this thread as per above!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We just got planning permission for a single story extension and before we applied we spoke to the neighbours on both sides. Yours should have talked it through with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I've found the people who want to create the biggest imposition are also the least likely to talk to the neighbours.

OP, I'd object. It costs very little and ensures that the council have to consider the shadowing to your property. If they've submitted shadowing drawings then make sure they've put north in the correct place (personally know of a neighbour whose architect put north where south was and made it look like there'd be no effect). If they haven't submitted any then highlight that in your objection.

ETA: make sure they consider shadowing during winter - lower sun causes longer shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Anon345

Thanks all for your comments; neighbours, that’d be gas.
    If ted1’s architects think that his extension won’t cast too much of a shadow then it doesn’t sound like he’s our neighbour; sorry to disappoint anyone who reached for the popcorn :)
    I measured the house and alley width again this morning and took a compass reading.
    Very hard to ascertain the exact impact without shadow projection software and knowing the depth of a possible extension.
    But it looks like the back of our house downstairs would be completely overshadowed for the 6 months (Oct- Mar) between the equinoxes.
    The maximum angle of the sun is 36 degrees above the horizon during those months and it sets 20 degrees before due west.
    During those months we normally get sunlight/no shadow from 13:00 onwards.
    If our neighbour ever does proceed with planning, we’ll be very happy to have the chance to discuss it and try to work something out, but right now I’d be fairly worried about the impact of anything above ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anon345 wrote: »
    We really couldn’t hope for nicer neighbours; they’re very easy going and friendly.
    Nice neighbours who didn't say anything about creating overshadow? They sound like tools. Have a chat with them, and see if they have considered anyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the_syco wrote: »
    Nice neighbours who didn't say anything about creating overshadow? They sound like tools. Have a chat with them, and see if they have considered anyone but themselves.
    Does the op not say that's there's a possibility, so they've not done anything yet. A bit disingenuous of you to call them names

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Not that it matters as the neighbour is applying for planning, but to be exempt: Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.

I would speak to the neighbour. And ask of their architect to consider a design to reduce the over shadowing by moving further away from the boundary/ minimising first floor extension

http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/guidelines/house-extension-design-guide.pdf
    See p16/17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Thanks all for your comments; neighbours, that’d be gas.
    If ted1’s architects think that his extension won’t cast too much of a shadow then it doesn’t sound like he’s our neighbour; sorry to disappoint anyone who reached for the popcorn :)
    I measured the house and alley width again this morning and took a compass reading.
    Very hard to ascertain the exact impact without shadow projection software and knowing the depth of a possible extension.
    But it looks like the back of our house downstairs would be completely overshadowed for the 6 months (Oct- Mar) between the equinoxes.
    The maximum angle of the sun is 36 degrees above the horizon during those months and it sets 20 degrees before due west.
    During those months we normally get sunlight/no shadow from 13:00 onwards.
    If our neighbour ever does proceed with planning, we’ll be very happy to have the chance to discuss it and try to work something out, but right now I’d be fairly worried about the impact of anything above ground level.

My dad used to do extensions and I'd work with him during the summer, if there was anything I learned from dealing with architects is that they will understate any negative effects for the neighbours. Now not that Ted is your neighbour but if you are told something similar he very fact they they say "wont cast too much" means they know it will cast a shadow, when the **** hits the fan after the extension goes up the architect will say they don't think it's too bad, so didn't realise it would have such an impact.

IMO anything you are told from either your neighbour or their builder/architect get it confirmed independently as once they get planning permission and the building goes up it won't be coming back down.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement