Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing Cork

Options
  • 17-08-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Any beginner’s tips for lure fishing or bottom fishing for bass in Cork. I live in the city so cork harbour / east Cork areas. how does the moon, tides, wind fair for bass fishing? what lures work well? Is crab the best for bottom fishing? any advice please?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Bass will eat most normal baits. Crab is good, but not essential.
    if I wanted to go fishing and had no crab, I'd be happy with wormbaits, mackerel strip, etc.

The tide time that works best is peculiar to each place. This extreme shallows work better at low light, migrations pass certain places around the same time each tide, and get to other places another time for that tide. When you find a place you have to watch how you and other competent anglers do and build up a picture for that particular spot.

Similar for moon. Basically that's the size or height of the tide. And by consequence the speed of the water flows induced by the tide, into and out of bays, shallows, estuaries, etc.

For lures, look at what food is available. Is it sandeels, bass love them, or sprat, or small mackerel? Match the size approximately and get spinning.

Don't cast too far. Bass like edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

As above you will catch bass in 6 inches of water, but I wouldnt bring mackerel anywhere near a bass hunt, dogfish will come from the moon when they smell it - ragworm would be my bait of choice, dogs will still take it I just find mackerel attracts 200times more and doesnt catch bass very well.

If your a beginner, will you be using big leads, beachcasters? or will you be baitcasting with the spinning rods? I ask because using bait, your going to need to hold bottom, and that brings a whole other conversation with it.

Spinning from the rocks is great - bass chase sandeels and other baitfsh into rocks so its a very natural way to fish for them. These are working great for me at the mo link

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

I think spinning is the way to go. Possibly bottom fishing too. I have a selection of lures floating, diving, metal, eels black minnows etc. I suppose the million dollar question is where do I need to go. Again I know it's like trying to predict the weather..... So no set rules apply to an exact place and time. Where are fish being caught spinning right now? I have heard from old reports different place but I'd imagine patterns change every year. I have a 4000 size spinning reel, 12lb fluorocarbon line 12 foot spinning rod. Any help is much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

My first tip would be read all the regulations on bass fishing before doing anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Youghal beach out by the quality hotel, excellent spot for Bass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you're on Facebook follow Henry Gilbey, formally of Fishing with Henry on the discovery channel. He lives for bass fishing and gets down to the absolute minute details of it. Fishes alot in Ireland too.

MULLERING MULLERING - OK OK OK OK OK MULLERING OK OK OK OK OK O OK O KO KO KO KO KOK KKKKKKKKKK MULLERING

Does my nut that lad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd agree with you to some extent. The over excitement on the telly was a bit cringy at times but in fairness to the man, he is an encyclopedia of bass fishing, especially with lures, and there's a lot to be learned from him.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'd agree with you to some extent. The over excitement on the telly was a bit cringy at times but in fairness to the man, he is an encyclopedia of bass fishing, especially with lures, and there's a lot to be learned from him.

Ah I know, I do read a lot from him, I just cant listen to him :D

Advertisement