Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan going nuts on Macbook Pro

Options
  • 17-08-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Appreciate any help here folks but my wifes macbook pro(2013 13 inch) has the fan running 6000rpm constantly. i installed Istat pro and the temperatures are all normal, nothing is running hot. I hoovered out the fan to no avail as it sorted my 2006 white macbook when the same thing happened.

She wanted to restore the macbook so i wiped the drive and reinstalled OS x and its still happening even after starting fresh. The computer is jumpy/laggy also and running slow.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

was the harddrive ever replaced? some drives are connected to the fan and if the replacement drive isnt, then the fan goes nuts. You might want to use something like smcFanControl -https://www.eidac.de/ (there are others as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

maccored wrote: »
    was the harddrive ever replaced? some drives are connected to the fan and if the replacement drive isnt, then the fan goes nuts. You might want to use something like smcFanControl -https://www.eidac.de/ (there are others as well)

Could you explain this a bit more as I have never heard of it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Could you explain this a bit more as I have never heard of it?

Thanks.

Apple use modified drives with an extra two pins that provide a thermal probe to the mobo (instead of signalling it over SMART). If you fit an off the shelf drive the mobo just sees that sensor as failed so for safety the cooling system kicks it up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »
    Apple use modified drives with an extra two pins that provide a thermal probe to the mobo (instead of signalling it over SMART). If you fit an off the shelf drive the mobo just sees that sensor as failed so for safety the cooling system kicks it up a notch.

Thanks, I had never heard of that setup. ;)

Advertisement