Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour making false complaints.

Options
  • 17-08-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Long story short. Got permission from landlady through letting agency to have a dog.
    I'm bloody fuming. Our neighbours sister has made false complaints direct to our landlady that the dog is barking day and night. We 100% know they are not as they are recorded on camera for the periods of time we are not here.
    Landlady won't speak with us directly and has informed us through the agency that she doesn't care if the complaints are true or not, she doesn't want the hassle and has changed her mind about the dog.
    And get this, the woman who complained doesn't even live next door, she only visits. And we spoke with the man who actually lives there and he has no problem with the dogs.
    We knocked in to try have a conversation with her and she rudely dismissed us, stating she had also reported us to the DSPCA!!!
    She clearly has issues. But we have no idea how to deal with this!
    The RTB have told us to record all communication, which we are doing.

Anyone else ever face something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Long story short. Got permission from landlady through letting agency to have a dog.
    I'm bloody fuming. Our neighbours sister has made false complaints direct to our landlady that the dog is barking day and night. We 100% know they are not as they are recorded on camera for the periods of time we are not here.
    Landlady won't speak with us directly and has informed us through the agency that she doesn't care if the complaints are true or not, she doesn't want the hassle and has changed her mind about the dog.
    And get this, the woman who complained doesn't even live next door, she only visits. And we spoke with the man who actually lives there and he has no problem with the dogs.
    We knocked in to try have a conversation with her and she rudely dismissed us, stating she had also reported us to the DSPCA!!!
    She clearly has issues. But we have no idea how to deal with this!
    The RTB have told us to record all communication, which we are doing.

Anyone else ever face something like this?
    Wait and see if she takes a third party dispute to the RTB - she'll have no problem proving it if it's true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Browney7 wrote:
    Wait and see if she takes a third party dispute to the RTB - she'll have no problem proving it if it's true...

The landlady has changed her mind and withdrawn permission for the dog to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The landlady has changed her mind and withdrawn permission for the dog to be there.

Just say the dog is gone so. If the dog doesn't make noise, what dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont think the landlady can withdraw permission on something like this.
    Permission was granted and you got a dog based on that permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't blame landlady. Are you in apt or house here? Unless the lease says pets are welcome it is only landlady's word. She wants no hassle, and I don't blame her.

Dog owners can be delusional. A former neighbour never realised his dog barked day and night. Even at nighttime when he was there the yapping dog never bothered him, but drove his neighbours nuts. Gone now thank god.

I know OP has cameras and the like, but dogs can cause issues other than barking.

I don't think you will succeed. Landlady has all the cards, as I said, unless when you first rented the lease did not exclude pets. Word of mouth from the LL is not enough.

• Advertisement

I dont think the landlady can withdraw permission on something like this. Permission was granted and you got a dog based on that permission.

The landlady has stated she doesn't want agro. Does the OP value good relations with there landlady or the company of a dog more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The landlady has stated she doesn't want agro.

If she doesn't want agro, trying to force someone to either get rid of their dogs or out of where they live isn't the way to go.

I don't think you will succeed. Landlady has all the cards, as I said, unless when you first rented the lease did not exclude pets. Word of mouth from the LL is not enough.

But permission was given by the landlady through the letting agent so it's not just her word. The OP has acted in good faith upon getting permission. Not all agreements have to be in writing to be binding (within reason).

OP, you say the landlady won't speak to you directly, yet she will speak to your neighbour, so they must know each other. I wonder if the landlady just changed her mind and is using the neighbour to help get them out of their agreement.

And if the DSPCA get involved, could that work in your favour, in that it could show that the dogs are looked after properly and not doing any harm.

If she doesn't want agro, trying to force someone to either get rid of their dogs or out of where they live isn't the way to go.

I read the first post, curious the OP says he got verbal permission for a dog. They then go to mention 'dogs'. So did they get permission for one dog but have 'dog's. Maybe they can clear up that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

To be clear. We have permission in writing.
    We have two dogs.

We were advised by the RTB to have a conversation directly with the LL, the agency has stated she does not want to speak with us and have refused to give us her details.

My issue here is that the complaints are definitely not warranted. We are a quiet family and are not 'delusional dog owners'.
    We have written statements from other neighbours that the dogs are very quiet and not a nuisance. We have video recordings of the dogs, who are only left for a max of 3hrs each day, and who sleep for this time as they are walked each morning before bring left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Not a pet owner I'd guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

To be clear. We have permission in writing.
    We have two dogs.

We were advised by the RTB to have a conversation directly with the LL, the agency has stated she does not want to speak with us and have refused to give us her details.

My issue here is that the complaints are definitely not warranted. We are a quiet family and are not 'delusional dog owners'.
    We have written statements from other neighbours that the dogs are very quiet and not a nuisance. We have video recordings of the dogs, who are only left for a max of 3hrs each day, and who sleep for this time as they are walked each morning before bring left.

Are the dogs straying into the neighbours garden?

Tigger wrote:
    Not a pet owner I'd guess

You guessed wrong, but I assume there is a point to your guess. Care to share?

magentis wrote: »
    Are the dogs straying into the neighbours garden?

One dog did once. We knocked in and apologised immediately, the man that lives there was very pleasant, we have a good relationship with him. He even offered to let us into his garden to block up any holes from that side.
    We installed a dog run immediately and it has not happened since.

The woman who has complained to our landlady doesn't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

What breed of dogs are they

You guessed wrong, but I assume there is a point to your guess. Care to share?

I think they were referring to the landlady.

I think they were referring to the landlady.

You're right. I jumped the gun.

What breed of dogs are they

A tiny mongrel (he's only 4.5kg) and a pom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

It seems strange that someone would go to the bother for no reason. You mentioned she is going to go to the DSPCA, maybe there is something about your setup that upsets her? How long are the dogs left alone? Ideally dogs should not be left alone for more than 2-3 hours otherwise an owner should really consider whether they are a suitable pet for them. If they are left alone in a dog run for longer than a couple of hours on a daily basis then I'd guess that is probably what has upset her.

qrx wrote: »
    It seems strange that someone would go to the bother for no reason. You mentioned she is going to go to the DSPCA, maybe there is something about your setup that upsets her? How long are the dogs left alone? Ideally dogs should not be left alone for more than 2-3 hours otherwise an owner should really consider whether they are a suitable pet for them. If they are left alone in a dog run for longer than a couple of hours on a daily basis then I'd guess that is probably what has upset her.

As stated above, they are never left for more than 3 hours. The dog run is 12ft square and is connected to a conservatory which runs the length of the house. We had a home check from the adoption agency before getting our second dog and they said they were very impressed with our set up. I work from home a lot and the dogs come with me whenever feasible when I go out.
    It's just not possible to have them with me 24hrs a day.

There's no talking to this woman unfortunately.
    We are in a good position to fight this with the LL, but what this woman is doing is tantamount to harassment, and we don't know why she's picked on us and what we can do to stop it.
    I'm worried that she won't stop at the dogs, are our kids next to be complained about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

As stated above, they are never left for more than 3 hours. The dog run is 12ft square and is connected to a conservatory which runs the length of the house. We had a home check from the adoption agency before getting our second dog and they said they were very impressed with our set up. I work from home a lot and the dogs come with me whenever feasible when I go out.
    It's just not possible to have them with me 24hrs a day.

There's no talking to this woman unfortunately.
    We are in a good position to fight this with the LL, but what this woman is doing is tantamount to harassment, and we don't know why she's picked on us and what we can do to stop it.
    I'm worried that she won't stop at the dogs, are our kids next to be complained about?

Why do you feel you are in a good position to fight this with the LL? Personally I disagree. If you refuse the get rid of the dogs then the LL will probably just give you notice at the first available opportunity. Difficult to find a new home with 2 dogs, it's hard enough without pets.

Does your written agreement say you can have 2 dogs or 1 dog or is it specified? In your OP you said 'Got permission from landlady through letting agency to have a dog.'. Is there any way she can argue that permission was given for 1 only?

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

SteM wrote: »
    If you refuse the get rid of the dogs then the LL will probably just give you notice at the first available opportunity. Difficult to find a new home with 2 dogs, it's hard enough without pets.
    Based on what? The OP is acting completely within the terms of the agreement with the landlord. If the terms are to change they both need to agree or else one is breaking the contract.

Unless they're coming up to the 4 (or is it 6 now?) year anniversary of starting there's no other reasonable opportunity for her to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

TheChizler wrote: »
    Based on what? The OP is acting completely within the terms of the agreement with the landlord. If the terms are to change they both need to agree or else one is breaking the contract.

Unless they're coming up to the 4 (or is it 6 now?) year anniversary of starting there's no other reasonable opportunity for her to remove them.

I said at the first available opportunity, based on that.

You don't know when that will be and neither do I. LL might need the property for a family member all of a sudden.

I entered my 3rd year lease in March. Does that matter?

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. I guess the advice I'm really looking for is how to deal with the woman making false complaints against us.
    The RTB have been extremely helpful in advising us on how to deal with the LL/Agency, so I'm confidant that we can resolve that issue.

Who is the complainer to your neighbour? Is she caring for an elderly person or something like this? Otherwise approach the actual neighbour and explain your trouble with their visitor.

Who is the complainer to your neighbour? Is she caring for an elderly person or something like this? Otherwise approach the actual neighbour and explain your trouble with their visitor.

Our neighbour is a man who lives next door and cares for his elderly mother who also lives there.
    The woman complaining is his sister who visits but does not live there.
    The man is lovely and has apologised to us for his sister's actions, but it doesn't stop her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. I guess the advice I'm really looking for is how to deal with the woman making false complaints against us.
    The RTB have been extremely helpful in advising us on how to deal with the LL/Agency, so I'm confidant that we can resolve that issue.

Not really she as asked you to rehome the dogs.

You could ask the RTB to mediate, if she refuses it may strengthen your case.

Before you do find our your exact situation, the RTB should be able to set you straight, the law changed last year.

With a new lease after 6 months you have part 4 rights and you can't be asked to leave with in 3.5 years for no reason. But in the first six months you can be asked to leave without a reason. That ran in 4 year blocks. Now it's six and possibly in the send term you can't be asked to leave, without a reason. You may be covered under the old system in which case in a year your LL could ask you to move out at the end of the 4 year block giving 16 weeks notice.

Pick you battles, the RTB might take your side but your LL could simply wait and ask you to go that will take them 18 months ish.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I would first of all have a talk with the person this whinger is visiting and state quite clearly that your dogs don't cause any hassle.Furthermore try to figure out WHY she is complaining-see if there's anything you can do to deescalate the situation. BUT, if poush comes to shove - she doesn't live in the area and has no say in the matter at all. I'd be pretty straight forward telling her to *** off and get a life. But try the sweet approach first...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

We installed a dog run immediately and it has not happened since.

Thats the problem I'd bet......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I find it bizarre that the landlord/agency would take the complaint seriously when it was from someone other than the actual neighbour?

Advertisement