Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour making false complaints.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I find it bizarre that the landlord/agency would take the complaint seriously when it was from someone other than the actual neighbour?

Poms and most small dogs in general are fairly yappie. I find it hard to believe that said dogs are quiet for the 3 hours each day they are on their own. Maybe the neighbour wants his sis to do the 'dirty' work for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

SteM wrote: »
    Why do you feel you are in a good position to fight this with the LL? Personally I disagree. If you refuse the get rid of the dogs then the LL will probably just give you notice at the first available opportunity. Difficult to find a new home with 2 dogs, it's hard enough without pets.

Does your written agreement say you can have 2 dogs or 1 dog or is it specified? In your OP you said 'Got permission from landlady through letting agency to have a dog.'. Is there any way she can argue that permission was given for 1 only?

Best of luck OP.

The OP has written permission to allow the dogs, thereby amending the terms of the lease. The landlord cannot renege on this without the OPs permission as far as I know, as this would again change the terms of the lease which the OP doesn't have to agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I find it bizarre that the landlord/agency would take the complaint seriously when it was from someone other than the actual neighbour?

they are not taking it seriously as such....they are just fed up of the woman complaining and think this will solve that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. I guess the advice I'm really looking for is how to deal with the woman making false complaints against us.

Go and have a polite chat with her next time she's over. Get to the bottom of the issue. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Pelvis wrote: »
    The OP has written permission to allow the dogs, thereby amending the terms of the lease. The landlord cannot renege on this without the OPs permission as far as I know, as this would again change the terms of the lease which the OP doesn't have to agree to.

No. The OP said in the first post she asked for permission to get a dog - singular. I asked if the written permission she received said she could have a dog or multiple dogs or wasn't clear but the OP hasn't replied yet. You don't know what the written permission grants. If the written permission states specifically one dog then it's the tenant that has broken the terms of the lease by having more than one dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

SteM wrote: »
    No. The OP said in the first post she asked for permission to get a dog - singular. I asked if the written permission she received said she could have a dog or multiple dogs or wasn't clear but the OP hasn't replied yet. You don't know what the written permission grants. If the written permission states specifically one dog then it's the tenant that has broken the terms of the lease by having more than one dog.

If permission was given for a dog, I think most reasonable people would assume that two small dogs is ok. If the LL didn't want animals at all in the house or garden, she wouldn't have given permission. Clearly she doesn't mind one so why would she have a problem with two, since they can keep each other company and therefore be less likely to become bored and destructive or start barking.

Anyway, the LL's problem is not with the dogs, it's with the neighbour but she sees this as the easiest fix. However, as I stated earlier, the LL is going about this all wrong. If she just wants to avoid any hassle then she should NOT do the following:

- Create bad blood with her tenant;
    - Try to force them to get rid of their dogs;
    - Eventually have to work out a way to get rid of them / have them leave of their own accord and;
    - Have to find new tenants (I know there's plenty out there but they're not all good ones).

Instead she should just ignore malicious complaints. They will stop and then she'll have no hassle.

OP, the only thing I can suggest is talking to your neighbour to see if he can actively help you deal with his sister, rather than just apologising for her. Even if it's to just get her to actually engage with you rather than rudely dismissing you. If you can have a discussion with her, kill her with kindness. Bring her a bottle of wine or something and tell her you want to be on good terms and find a workable solution. If you can get her to like you, she might give up complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

....... wrote: »
    probably because her mother saw them in the run..? :getlost:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Sure they could just be visiting dogs?

Are you telling me to get lost? I dont understand the end of your post?[/quote]
    lol I'f I'm telling you to get lost I'll say that. i suggest you read the whole thread(again if you have already) it will answer the question.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To view it another way - the actual neighbour is an elderly woman, who lives with her spineless son who won't say boo to a goose. Her daughter visits regularly, and appears to have to deal with problems the mother has, like yapping dogs in the neighbourhood.

The OP's LL gave permission for a dog because she didn't want the fuss of saying "no". But clearly doing so has caused a fuss, so I can see why she'd change her mind.

What counts now is what is written in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Riskymove wrote:
    they are not taking it seriously as such....they are just fed up of the woman complaining and think this will solve that

How did she know who to complain to, though?
    ....... wrote:

Ah come off it. If you see a dog in someone's garden it's a reasonable assumption that they own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I've a friend who visits with her dog regularly and it goes out the back cos I've a cat.

Just seeing a dog means nothing. Particularly if it's just someone visiting who saw the dog. If they're not there early morning/late evening then they wouldn't have a clue if a dog lives there or not.[/quote]

That's true, and we have the same. However it's still a reasonable assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If permission was given for a dog, I think most reasonable people would assume that two small dogs is ok.

When it comes to lease contracts and permissions you Assume Nothing!
    Permission was given for One dog, not Two.
    Was permission given to erect the dog run as well?

I am wondering how the visiting neighbour knows the dogs exist at all if they are so quiet.

Seeing a dog out the back means nothing, the dog could be visiting with a friend.

I think the purpose built dog run might be a bit of a giveaway in this case.
    And the fact that its the same dogs when nobody is at home.
    Maybe the complainant is not happy about the dog run, or maybe there are smells from the dogs going to the toilet out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Come off it OP, a Pomeranian that doesn't bark when left outside? They never shut up. Literally the first result in Google:

https://www.google.ie/search?num=30&q=do+pomeranians+bark&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3sdaUvOPVAhUmLMAKHcXGAa4QvwUIIygA&biw=1536&bih=759

How many times have we seen this thread in here? A completely oblivious dog owner claiming their little angel never barks meanwhile their totally unreasonable neighbours are being driven mad by this supposedly inaudible barking, and of course the dog owner refuses to accept that its destroying peoples peace and quite thats the problem, no, its the evil crazy neighbour who just hates puppies and wants to cause trouble...

The reason she's threatening to go to the DSPCA is that when you go off for those three hours that dog or dogs is screeching non-stop in the back garden like its being tortured and begging to be let back in again, anyone who's lived in an estate with back gardens has experienced this, and 99 times out of a 100 the dog owner will deny theres any issue.

Control your dogs, its up to you to train them or invest in anti-bark collars or other devices.

EDIT: And stop with the "crazy sister who only visits and doesn't live there" crap, the reason someone who doesn't live there knows about the issue is its because its probably all her brother and elderly mother talk about, they're just too afraid of you or too afraid of causing trouble to approach you themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

How do we not know the cat aint visiting too? Just seeing the cat in your place means nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thargor wrote: »
    Come off it OP, a Pomeranian that doesn't bark when left outside? They never shut up. Literally the first result in Google:

https://www.google.ie/search?num=30&q=do+pomeranians+bark&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3sdaUvOPVAhUmLMAKHcXGAa4QvwUIIygA&biw=1536&bih=759

How many times have we seen this thread in here? A completely oblivious dog owner claiming their little angel never barks meanwhile their totally unreasonable neighbours are being driven mad by this supposedly inaudible barking, and of course the dog owner refuses to accept that its destroying peoples peace and quite thats the problem, no, its the evil crazy neighbour who just hates puppies and wants to cause trouble...

The reason she's threatening to go to the DSPCA is that when you go off for those three hours that dog or dogs is screeching non-stop in the back garden like its being tortured and begging to be let back in again, anyone who's lived in an estate with back gardens has experienced this, and 99 times out of a 100 the dog owner will deny theres any issue.

Control your dogs, its up to you to train them or invest in anti-bark collars or other devices.

EDIT: And stop with the "crazy sister who only visits and doesn't live there" crap, the reason someone who doesn't live there knows about the issue is its because its probably all her brother and elderly mother talk about, they're just too afraid of you or too afraid of causing trouble to approach you themselves.

Not going to waste my time going through all my points in depth again, but here's a quick summary as you obviously can't be bothered reading the details.
    -dogs under constant surveillance by camera.
    -statements from other neighbours that they are not barking constantly.
    -dogs not left alone for long periods of time.

Do my dogs bark? Yes, occasionally. I'm not claiming they are mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Latest update:
    The letting agent has reviewed our evidence and is now seeing our side.
    The landlady still won't deal with us directly, but the agent knowing that we are entitled to her contact details has asked that we give him time to resolve this himself.
    Of course we've agreed, we don't want this hassle and really just want our quiet life back.
    The agent has said we are ok to keep the dogs, thst he will be dealing with the complaining lady himself and has said that as it currently stands we have no obligation to get rid of our dogs.

I'm very glad we stood our ground and researched our rights. It appears that the 'LL and agent tried to take the lazy approach and didn't really want to deal with the issue properly until we pushed the matter and forced their hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement