Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone - Discounted phone when you switch-Dunnes Valueclub mailing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Just got my value club vouchers out and new offers from Vodafone. On pay as you go you can get a Vodafone N9 Lite for 99c or a Samsung J3 2017 for 69.99. Also if you switch to a sim only plan you can get either of these phones for free! Anybody any idea what the phones are like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just got my value club vouchers out and new offers from Vodafone. On pay as you go you can get a Vodafone N9 Lite for 99c or a Samsung J3 2017 for 69.99. Also if you switch to a sim only plan you can get either of these phones for free! Anybody any idea what the phones are like?

Is that the only phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

jimmynokia wrote:
    Is that the only phones
    Yeah just those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

I got the J3 2017 (J330FN single sim) off vodafone a few months back with a different offer for 99 euro which also included a 20 euro free topup. So I'd say at 69.99 its a good price and roughly about 1/2 the PAYG price from other stores.

Its screen size at 5" is just about right but only with 1280x720 resulotion which I suppose is par for a phone in this price range. A few negatives - only 2.4ghz wifi band and more importantly it does not have LED Notification. So if you don't rear your text/email notification sound you wont know you got any unless you unlock the screen first.

You can glance at the specs here from this site

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-samsung-galaxy-j3-2017

Possibly one of the cheapest phones to buy here in Europe that will also give you good coverage in USA according to that site, if it is correct. Scroll down to connectivity section and apparently most common 3G/4G bands that AT&T and T-Mobile use are there. I'll know for sure in 2 months when im off to NYC.

Don't know anything about N9 only that it has been released only recently and the has latest Android 8 Oreo compared to last years Nougat 7 on J3 2017. Read somewhere that Oreo is causing issues with Android Auto. I have no such issues with J3 using Android Auto and Google Maps. Oh and the J3 2017 can be easily unlocked if your not a Vodafone customer. Cost me 20e in a store, probably less to do so online.

Here are the specs for N9 at GSMArena

https://www.gsmarena.com/vodafone_smart_n9_lite-9236.php

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭jc77

Is the Vodafone N9 Lite easy to unlock, to have as a spare phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

jc77 wrote: »
    Is the Vodafone N9 Lite easy to unlock, to have as a spare phone?

Done a quick google search and turned up this crowd. Looking at there blog here

https://unlocklocks.com/blog/how-to-unlock-vodafone-smart-n9-lite-vfd-620-by-unlock-code/

Under notes it says "All carriers are supported for unlocking (Vodafone UK, IE, AU, PT, NZ, ES, EG, DE, NL etc…)".

Yet when you go to select your country here https://www.unlocklocks.com/ I don't see Ireland mentioned. Perhaps send them an email first and ask. For Vodafone UK for instance they are asking $24.95 dollars but at least you can use PayPal and offer a money back guarantee.

Perhaps not many alternatives out there yet as phone is so new.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

Got N9 lite earlier..working away with Tesco Mobile SIM. It was unlocked .

soccermad1 wrote: »

Did you have to buy €20 VF credit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Yep but it's a voucher (not applied to the number you port) so you could flog it to a friend on VF

Yes 20 euro +99 c

• Advertisement

Did you have to tell them you will port?, or do they initiate the porting for you?

Would like to get the phone as a spare & not have to port from my current network.

Did you have to tell them you will port?, or do they initiate the porting for you?

Would like to get the phone as a spare & not have to port from my current network.

You have to Port in the shop..they do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Did they ask you for student ID.as the terms say Vodafone x is a student offer valid id

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

massy086 wrote: »
    Did they ask you for student ID.as the terms say Vodafone x is a student offer valid id

Vodafone x is no longer a student deal
    Data user plan is a better deal if you’re a new customer porting over, there is a thread about the deal already

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Vodafone x is no longer a student deal
    Data user plan is a better deal if you’re a new customer porting over, there is a thread about the deal already

Disagree here , ironically data user plan is better for voice users and X is better for data users - 20GB plus 20gb free each weekend = 100gb data, unlimited texts and 100 anytime mins plus unlimited weekend calls on X Weekend

Disagree here , ironically data user plan is better for voice users and X is better for data users - 20GB plus 20gb free each weekend = 100gb data, unlimited texts and 100 anytime mins plus unlimited weekend calls on X Weekend

You keep your credit with data user plan
    With Vodafone x it’s gone

Seems a no brainier to me maybe I’m wrong

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You keep your credit with data user plan
    With Vodafone x it’s gone

Seems a no brainier to me maybe I’m wrong

Yeah but you've to spend 15 to get unlimited calls or pay out of bundle rates. For light data users it is definitely the best plan. For high data users X Weekend is the no brainier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

New Dunnes Mailing Vodafone Voucher 'Free Phone when you switch'.

Two Choices:
    Vodafone N9 Lite on RED Connect Sim only or
    J3 2017 on RED Connect Sim only.

Plan is €25 a month for first six months and €35 thereafter.
    10GB Dta
    Unlimited calls and texts to any network
    100 international minutes
    12 month contract

Or off the plan you can get the N9 Lite for 99c or J3 2017 for €70 PAYG.

I'm already a Vodafone Customer so if anyone wants voucher, I've one spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Great offer but after trying three different stores and both phones out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭satya

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    New Dunnes Mailing Vodafone Voucher 'Free Phone when you switch'.

Two Choices:
    Vodafone N9 Lite on RED Connect Sim only or
    J3 2017 on RED Connect Sim only.

Plan is €25 a month for first six months and €35 thereafter.
    10GB Dta
    Unlimited calls and texts to any network
    100 international minutes
    12 month contract

Or off the plan you can get the N9 Lite for 99c or J3 2017 for €70 PAYG.

I'm already a Vodafone Customer so if anyone wants voucher, I've one spare.

Can i have the voucher if you don't need it.

• Advertisement

satya wrote: »
    Can i have the voucher if you don't need it.

Sure, pm sent.

Yeah but you've to spend 15 to get unlimited calls or pay out of bundle rates. For light data users it is definitely the best plan. For high data users X Weekend is the no brainier

I hardly make calls these days it’s mostly iMessage so this is perfect for me

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭satya

Hi MFlack2015 replied to your PM as i got one myself as well. Please kindly pass the voucher to someone that hasn't received one.

satya wrote: »
    Hi MFlack2015 replied to your PM as i got one myself as well. Please kindly pass the voucher to someone that hasn't received one.

No problem. Still available to whoever will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    No problem. Still available to whoever will use it.

Would appreciate if someone can share voucher if not needed.

Thanks!

angelmum wrote: »
    Would appreciate if someone can share voucher if not needed.

Thanks!

Pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Jamemid wrote: »
    Great offer but after trying three different stores and both phones out of stock.

Got N9 in Liffey Valley this morning, they only had white but seemed to have a good few. Phone is not network locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Picked N9 lite in Dun laoghaire...unlocked and excellent back grip...ideal backup phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Does anyone know if the Samsung j3 is unlocked/locks to the first sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Got N9 lite in Waterford. Not network-locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Berberis

Have ordered an Eir payg sim and minimum plan to activate it is €5
    Will use that as a number to port over to avail of the 99c phone.
    Looks like an handy spare phone to have for a €6 cost

• Registered Users Posts: 13 singledad

Any spare voucher?? please.

The N9 lite is ridiculously fast considering its 1 gb ram and running android 8.1.0..the secret is its Android GO ..a light version of android...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all, I am interested in getting this deal given that the N9 lite is unlocked (would be handy for traveling). Can anyone confirm if the 20euro credit is given separately as a voucher or applied to the number you ported when availing of the offer?

Hi all, I am interested in getting this deal given that the N9 lite is unlocked (would be handy for traveling). Can anyone confirm if the 20euro credit is given separately as a voucher or applied to the number you ported when availing of the offer?

Separate voucher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone got a spare voucher please.
    Fathers phone gave up the ghost yesterday - Moto G (1st gen) lasted since 2013!

We got a flyer in our last mailing but it seems we have put in in the recycling bin which was collected this morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deepsilent

Would appreciate if someone can share voucher.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

I was refused the phone unless I allowed the staff member to top me up and activate a plan in the store as "there's a lot of people scamming us out of phones to sell them and the top ups".

I told them it wasn't convenient for me to top up every Tuesday and could I wait till the weekend, their advice was to either come back on Saturday to buy the phone, do without the plan until the Saturday after it expired, or just top up the Saturday before the offer expired ("it's only three days you'd lose").

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

danm14 wrote: »
    I was refused the phone unless I allowed the staff member to top me up and activate a plan in the store as "there's a lot of people scamming us out of phones to sell them and the top ups".

It can take a few hours for your number to port over so how exactly were they proposing to do this?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Quackster wrote: »
    It can take a few hours for your number to port over so how exactly were they proposing to do this?!

I didn't ask - I just left with my voucher and left them with an unsold phone in an unsealed box.

I'm guessing they'd either have made me wait, told me to come back later, or given me a new Vodafone number, topped it up and then ported me.

Or perhaps it was an idle threat to see whether I was really switching to Vodafone or just looking for a 99c phone.

• Advertisement

danm14 wrote:
    Or perhaps it was an idle threat to see whether I was really switching to Vodafone or just looking for a 99c phone.

I told them i will use it for my wife later and he was least concerned .....name and shame the store...

danm14 wrote: »

I told them it wasn't convenient for me to top up every Tuesday and could I wait till the weekend, their advice was to either come back on Saturday to buy the phone, do without the plan until the Saturday after it expired, or just top up the Saturday before the offer expired ("it's only three days you'd lose").

Really, well that's ridiculous :eek: In which store/region did you encounter this issue. Weird that some stores give the top-up separately, and others don't. I looked up the terms (link here). Only the following condition mentions the top-up credit and is as follows:

For Pay as You Go - tThe Offer is subject to €20 top up at time of purchase when switching

But it does not explicitly say the €20 needs to be applied to the sim/number which has been ported over. I'm a Vodafone customer, so will just be applying the top-up to my own PAYG (I'm on Vodafone X, and due a top-up within the next 2 weeks) and really require a unlocked phone for travel/festivals, etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭kilsmum

Got the N9 lite today in Vodafone Mahon Point, Cork.

No drama. All sorted in a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

Hi,

If anybody has a voucher left, I'll happily take it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I would like a voucher too if somebody had a spare, please.

Got N9 lite yesterday (ported from Meteor/Eir) - very happy with it :)

Can't confirm if it's unlocked or not however, as I'm a Vodafone customer.... :pac:

(Also, I was given the top-up as a separate voucher)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

Hi I know it's a long shot but somebody looking to get a phone if anyone had a voucher spare be great thanks if we're not too late already...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Scoopsire

Anyone got a spare voucher, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

If theres one going spare I'd really appreciate one too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Lately, my spouse wanted to buy a phone with the voucher. She was told that she needs to call the landline number from her porting number, for confirmation purpose. But, she could not call the landline from her porting number as she had used all her credit to reduce the balance to zero, before porting, which is usually the case with anyone who would port. When she explained the staff at the store that the balance was zero, and requested if the porting numer could be confirmed by a call from the store's landline to the porting number, she was simply refused. She was also told that she needs to top up the porting number with €20 in the store itself, after porting, which she didn't have any issue with. :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement