Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

What's a realistic budget for a pram, pushchair & car seat set? It seems to vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

RubyXI wrote: »
    What's a realistic budget for a pram, pushchair & car seat set? It seems to vary a lot.

For my first we got all 3 in a deal in Mamas in Papas for around 1200. It varies SO much - I remember on the same day we got that set I saw a Bugaboo pram on it's own for the same amount!
    I would say though that if I was doing it again, I wouldn't be spending much at all on the pram/pushchair but more on the car seat to be honest. We got a fairly basic car seat that just clicked into a base but when she was about 8 months we got a maxi cosi car seat that swivels at the base, it sounds small but it made SUCH a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

RubyXI wrote:

I just got buggy and car seat the first time, I didn't bother with pram/carrycot. once the buggy can lie flat for baby for the first few months its not needed. Think I paid around 500 or so for mine with carseat adaptors for buggy and raincover.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Does anyone know if you need to have the public services card in order to apply for maternity benefit? It seems to be needed if you are applying online

laylag wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to have the public services card in order to apply for maternity benefit? It seems to be needed if you are applying online

I think only if you're applying online.

• Advertisement

Rubys right, it's just if you're applying online. You can still print off the form and post it without one of those cards :)

RubyXI wrote:

Rubys right, it's just if you're applying online. You can still print off the form and post it without one of those cards

Thanks ladies! Was having a brief panic there as I only have 9 weeks left in work and didnt want to have to take more time off work to go and get the card.

Big moment in my life today- wearing a maternity top for the first time. It's quite loose but my normal tops are starting to look a bit odd. Nearly 26 weeks so I suppose i got long enough out of my own clothes- well a size up in a lot of my clothes.

RubyXI wrote:
    Big moment in my life today- wearing a maternity top for the first time. It's quite loose but my normal tops are starting to look a bit odd. Nearly 26 weeks so I suppose i got long enough out of my own clothes- well a size up in a lot of my clothes.

Wow you did well ruby, I think you will feel better in maternity tops because you feel pregnant rather than pudgy in them, well I did anyway!

There's a very long gap between the 20 week scan and the 32 week scan! There is the 2 gp check ups in between but still...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Should you not be in the hospital at 28 weeks?
    I am 25 weeks now, so GP at 24 weeks, then hospital at 28 weeks, then GP at 32 weeks...etc.
    Maybe I better recheck my dates.....but I am pretty sure that's the schedule.

shesty wrote: »
    I am 25 weeks now, so GP at 24 weeks, then hospital at 28 weeks, then GP at 32 weeks...etc.

I was told see the gp at 24 weeks and 28 weeks. Then back to the hospital at 32, 36, 40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

shesty wrote: »

Different hospitals have different schedules. CUMH is GP at 24 weeks and 28 weeks then hospital 32 weeks.

I'm in hospital again at 28 weeks too, on the white combined care card it says the 28 week one is hospital visit on your first only but my consultant wanted me back then even though its second pregnancy. That will only be my second consultant visit, first was at around 18weeks. I only did one gp visit so far too at 22/23weeks.

I hate people looking at me. Looking at me getting bigger. People like my own family. My own mother. People who have always seen me as thin now see me getting big. I'm not even big yet. I don't know how I'll cope when I am. It's so hard. And it makes it harder because I know I'm supposed to be enjoying every moment of this and I can't. I need to find a way to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

Hi can anyone help when is the latest i can take if im due the 17th april? Is it exactly 2 weeks before so say thatd be tuesday the 3rd as my last day?

hbert wrote:
    Hi can anyone help when is the latest i can take if im due the 17th april? Is it exactly 2 weeks before so say thatd be tuesday the 3rd as my last day?

Yep! The 3rd should be your last day. You have to finish up 2 calendar weeks before your due date at the latest. Some ppl doctor their due date tho so they can finish up a bit later!

hbert wrote:

The latest you can go on leave is 2 weeks before the end of the week you are due in, so Monday the 9th is the latest you can start your leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

hbert wrote: »

AFAIK you have to start maternity the Monday of the week before you're due so if your due date is Tuesday 17th you only have to start maternity leave on Monday 9th. So if you work Monday to Friday your last work day would be Friday 6th. At least that's how it worked last time for me anyway.

RubyXI wrote:
    I hate people looking at me. Looking at me getting bigger. People like my own family. My own mother. People who have always seen me as thin now see me getting big. I'm not even big yet. I don't know how I'll cope when I am. It's so hard. And it makes it harder because I know I'm supposed to be enjoying every moment of this and I can't. I need to find a way to deal with this.

Aw ruby, wish I could say something to help, unfortunately its something you have to work through yourself. its normal for some people to not enjoy pregnancy, I know a few of my friends were like that but its not said openly because women feel obliged to be enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

Thanks everyone i put beginning monday the 9th as i wanted to work as long as i can and was getting conflicting advice about the 2 week thing and no one at work seems to know including HR. Im sure ill regret not going sooner when the time comes but want as much time as i can when hes actually here. Thanks again. Hope you all are keeping well

I think the first thing you need to do Ruby is to ease up putting pressure on yourself to enjoy the pregnancy - soooo much of pregnancy is just crap on the mother! You're not supposed to be feeling one way or another. Best thing to do is just take it day by day. I know I have had some seriously shocking humours brought on by the hormones in the last few weeks, I'm sure I'm not the only one on that!

Also just on the weight, more than you think really does come off in the first few weeks after the birth - you obviously have the baby weight itself but there's also placenta, extra fluid, extra blood...you'd be surprised how it all adds up in the end!
    Feel free to come and rant here whenever you need to. We're all in the same boat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

hbert wrote: »

If you ring the maternity welfare section they will tell you when you can work up until.
    For example I am due Monday the 30th of April and my first day of mat leave can be Monday the 23rd of April. This is the latest I can take maternity leave. It was the exact same on my last pregnancy too.

The 9th is correct per the instructions and example given on the maternity benefit form (below)

Note: To qualify for the maximum 26 weeks Maternity Benefit, an employee must take at least 2 weeks and at most 16 weeks leave before the end of the week in which her baby is due. If your employee wishes to take the minimum 2 week period of maternity leave prior to the birth of her baby, she should commence her maternity leave on the Monday prior to the week in which her baby is due.
    For example, if the due date is Wednesday 12/10/2016, the latest date the employee should commence maternity leave is Monday 03/10/2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

bee06 wrote: »
    The 9th is correct per the instructions and example given on the maternity benefit form (below)

Note: To qualify for the maximum 26 weeks Maternity Benefit, an employee must take at least 2 weeks and at most 16 weeks leave before the end of the week in which her baby is due. If your employee wishes to take the minimum 2 week period of maternity leave prior to the birth of her baby, she should commence her maternity leave on the Monday prior to the week in which her baby is due.
    For example, if the due date is Wednesday 12/10/2016, the latest date the employee should commence maternity leave is Monday 03/10/2016.

If your due date is 01/04/18, what is the latest? My work system said 19th march. Would that be correct?

If your due date is 01/04/18, what is the latest? My work system said 19th march. Would that be correct?

That I don’t know since the 1st is the Sunday. It would depend on what day the week begins. I’d check with the Maternity welfare dept as a previous poster suggested to make sure.

This maternity benefit form is wrecking my head. They're asking for details of you spouses bank accounts and property? And looking for their pay slips? What's that all about?

This maternity benefit form is wrecking my head. They're asking for details of you spouses bank accounts and property? And looking for their pay slips? What's that all about?

If your spouse earns less than 310 Euro a week you could be entitled to an additional payment. You only need to fill this out if you want to claim for the additional amount. I left it blank.

bee06 wrote: »
    If your spouse earns less than 310 Euro a week you could be entitled to an additional payment. You only need to fill this out if you want to claim for the additional amount. I left it blank.

Ah yes I see on the previous page where you can tick the "no" box. Thanks, that makes it a bit easier anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hi ladies, i hope you are all keeping well. I had my midwife clinic yesterday. All is well thank god, bump measuring well and heard baby's heartbeat on doppler. Only issue is my low energy and Iron levels. I'm not sleeping well so struggling through the day like a zombie.... midwife suggesting I finish work early but I really don't want to. I've only another 8 weeks to go to Mat leave anyway but she was very insistent that I'm putting me and baby at risk. Wants me discuss with GP at next appointment in 3 weeks. Anyone else having this issue?

Advertisement