Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Hi ladies, i hope you are all keeping well. I had my midwife clinic yesterday. All is well thank god, bump measuring well and heard baby's heartbeat on doppler. Only issue is my low energy and Iron levels. I'm not sleeping well so struggling through the day like a zombie.... midwife suggesting I finish work early but I really don't want to. I've only another 8 weeks to go to Mat leave anyway but she was very insistent that I'm putting me and baby at risk. Wants me discuss with GP at next appointment in 3 weeks. Anyone else having this issue?

I've been feeling this too but I had been forgetting my iron supplement, been taking it properly now for 5 days and already feel a benefit. My issue at min is a lot of pressure verging on pain down low to the front, and Braxton hicks.

I have just over 8 weeks left before finishing up, not a chance I'm staying that long. With a near 3 year old and building a house I don't think I will get bored if signed off early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone else having issues getting under bump maternity jeans to stay up!? I only started wearing maternity ones yesterday but after a bit of walking the slip down a bit.....

RubyXI wrote:
    Anyone else having issues getting under bump maternity jeans to stay up!? I only started wearing maternity ones yesterday but after a bit of walking the slip down a bit.....

Oh that would drive me mad, i use the overbump ones and they stay up! You feel a bit like a granny pulling up her big pants but they are very comfy! Don't have any suggestions of how to get your ones to stay up though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

RubyXI wrote: »

I couldn't go with the underbump ones at all... constantly yanking them up. I think though it's because of where my bump sits it stats quite low so i think the underbump jeans weren't actually under my bump if that makes sense but rather on it? Maybe you are the same? I found overbump much more comfortable.

I couldn't go with the underbump ones at all... constantly yanking them up. I think though it's because of where my bump sits it stats quite low so i think the underbump jeans weren't actually under my bump if that makes sense but rather on it? Maybe you are the same? I found overbump much more comfortable.

You're probably right... I just don't feel mentally comfortable wearing them yet but I might just have to get over that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

Hi girls, is anyone else being driven absolutely demented that all things baby only come in blue, pink, yellow or grey??!!!! I'm trying to decorate the nursery at the moment and am finding it extremely difficult to find anything that I even remotely like! Where are the reds, greens, oranges and browns?!! I wanted to go for autumnal colours for the nursery. Anyone any recommendations?

bbudab wrote: »
    Hi girls, is anyone else being driven absolutely demented that all things baby only come in blue, pink, yellow or grey??!!!! I'm trying to decorate the nursery at the moment and am finding it extremely difficult to find anything that I even remotely like! Where are the reds, greens, oranges and browns?!! I wanted to go for autumnal colours for the nursery. Anyone any recommendations?

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/e/q/little-green-sheep.end?_requestid=74365
    I love the green stuff in this range but it's quite expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 birthwithjoy

bee06 wrote: »
    They have them in Argos for about a tenner.

Dealz are now selling them to. They are fantastic to use.

Some mums to be utilize a peanut shaped one, these are harder to come by and slightly more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Dealz are now selling them to. They are fantastic to use.

Some mums to be utilize a peanut shaped one, these are harder to come by and slightly more expensive.

Argos have the peanut ones too for 12.49.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 birthwithjoy

Thats brilliant to know, I must pick one up to see what the quality is like.

Thanks for that

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Argos have the peanut ones too for 12.49.

What is this in reference to? Can't find the original post on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

RubyXI wrote: »
    What is this in reference to? Can't find the original post on it...

Gym balls

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I am due April 2nd so getting close now. My last was 4 weeks early so pls god this won't happen again!
    Little baby is breech at the moment so praying she turns soon! Anyone else have breech at this stage? Am 32 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I am due April 2nd so getting close now. My last was 4 weeks early so pls god this won't happen again!
    Little baby is breech at the moment so praying she turns soon! Anyone else have breech at this stage? Am 32 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

laylag wrote: »

On my first she was breech right up until 39 weeks! We were almost having the manual turning conversation but luckily she turned on her own on the last scan before my due date. So keep the faith :) high chance they'll turn themselves :)

Hi everyone, I hope you are all keeping well. Time is really ticking by here now. Only 9 weeks to go! Have my second scan this week. I have been well overall, a bit of acid reflux creeping in the last 2 weeks but the thing that is really botherimg me is the lack of sleep, is anyone else suffering?

I'm struggling to string together more than 4 hours sleep a night and can't seem to stay asleep longer than 60-90 mins at a time. I wake with pains/needing the bathroom/for no reason. I've tried napping during the day (after work)/ not napping/ changing bedding and mattress/ sleeping separately to my husband/ cooling down the room/ heating up the room/ eating earlier/ drinking less fluid before bed/ using relaxation techniques/gentle exercise/ reading/ listening to audiobooks etc etc etc.... it has got to a stage now where I feel permanently exhausted and am constantly bleary eyed and yawning. My midwife at my last appointment suggested I finish work now but I don't want to start maternity leave this early and have to go back to work with the baby so young ( won't be able to afford unpaid leave). Has anyone discovered an amazing way of getting 4-5 hours unbroken sleep?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Get your doctor to sign you off on sick leave, so your mat leave officially starts at 38 weeks but you are off work before that.Totally normal to do, most GPs will do it no problem.Or get the doctor to do it at your next hospital appointment.
    As for sleep, no major suggestions, I'm afraid,since you"ve tried everything!It's just part of pregnancy and parenting.But it does start to impact your daily life, so don't be afraid to ask to be signed off.

Thanks for the response Shesty, I suppose I'm stubborn in that I don't want yo be signed off as I'm not actually sick. Also I'm a teacher and really want to try get the course covered with my exam classes before I go on maternity leave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I remember being like that with my first, and honestly, you quickly discover (generally when you do finish) exactly how much of a struggle you were finding it, and asking yourself why you didn't finish earlier. There's no medals, people don't care at the end of the day. You're going, one way or the other.
    Sorry, I don't mean to be blunt but I don't know how else to say it!But if you are finding it tough going, then I would definitely consider getting signed off earlier.

History queen, I'm the same as you with sleep at the moment. 30 weeks today, wake every 2 hours and could be awake for an hour, I remember this from my first too and there was nothing to cure it!

It doesn't help me that we had to move our nearly 3 year old in to our room to facilitate our house build, I'm in fear when I turn over or when I make my way to the loo in the night that I'll wake her!
    Hoping the build will be mostly finished by time baby gets here so kinda praying I don't go early!!

So tempted to get signed off but like you history queen I feel a bit of a fraud as I'm not sick just tired and feel like I need the time to organise things for the house! I'm taking a weeks holidays before mat leave so will be finishing at 36 and half weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

HistoryQueen - I feel your pain. Our nearly 3 year old comes into our bed soon after midnight and I've been struggling with aches and pains and I'm terrified of waking her which I thinks makes my body even more tense!

Also, can anyone talk to me about hip pain?

I didn't have any pains or tenderness anywhere with my first (but I did lose weight instead of gaining...) so this is all new to me. After having her however I did notice that my left hip felt a little different and could get a little uncomfortable while doing certain exercises on horseback or if out riding for a long time (I was an instructor up until this pregnancy).

With this little man, has been since about October that my left hip has had some "discomfort". I wasn't exercising apart from yoga due to illness although I do like something my instructor said "pain is common in pregnancy but not necessarily normal). Anyway, the hyperemisis has eased up since Christmas and I got over the horrible low blood pressure so I've began playing tennis again.

The last few weeks my left hip has been excruciating, up to the point that some evenings I can't walk. It doesn't seem to be related to playing tennis (although it is quite sore and tired after) because I also get it after having to push the toddler in the pushchair or when I walk in uneven ground.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm going to the GP on Friday to get the all clear or not to keep playing but I still have to deal with a toddler and a house to maintain. I've been told about women's health physios and health care practitioners. Does anyone have any opinions?

I've been having pain (actually to be fair not hugely intense so maybe more discomfort than pain) in my left hip too. More so at night I sleep on my left and my hip tends to either become very uncomfortable and painful or go dead after an hour or so. It doesn't bother me as much as ye just interesting it's my left hip too. Could it be a nerve thing?

Ya Ainy, you've hit the nail on the head as regards me feeling like a fraud regarding finishing work early, and Shesty you're quite right! I'm not sure who I'm martyring myself for, but i can't help but feel really uncomfortable with the idea of finishing work this early. I've a scan this week and GP appointment next week so will discuss with my GP and see what he says

I do know, it's just because you feel you should be actually sick to be off.I felt the same.But I know for me anyway, my body starts kicking into gear to prepare for labour any time from about 36/37 weeks on-and by that I mean, the baby drops, I get nausea, cramping back pain and the works, on top of the increasing aches and pains of late pregnancy (and if you already have a child, forget it, you need the time off!!!!) It's just when you haven't been through it before you don't realise.I have warned work this time, I will probably have to finish round then because I know I started experiencing contractions and nausea round 36 weeks lalst time and it will probably be earlier again this time.So don't be too hard on yourself and take the time if you need it.

ccardoso33 wrote:
    The last few weeks my left hip has been excruciating, up to the point that some evenings I can't walk. It doesn't seem to be related to playing tennis (although it is quite sore and tired after) because I also get it after having to push the toddler in the pushchair or when I walk in uneven ground.

I had really bad hip/groin pain on my first and did nothing about it. This time around I started getting the hip pain (also my left) around 16 or 18 weeks, I said it at consultant appointment and was referred to physio, she did a deep massage and gave me exercises to do and I have been good since. It might be worth your while getting a physio referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Just commenced filing out my maternity benefit form. Work has forwarded me a form to be stamped by my GP. GP is charging me 10e for the honour. Bit shocked by this. Its just confirming I am indeed expecting! Anyone else been charged for this? Seems mad I have to pay just to get Maternity benefit, which I'm entitled to! What a racket!

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Just commenced filing out my maternity benefit form. Work has forwarded me a form to be stamped by my GP. GP is charging me 10e for the honour. Bit shocked by this. Its just confirming I am indeed expecting! Anyone else been charged for this? Seems mad I have to pay just to get Maternity benefit, which I'm entitled to! What a racket!

That's outrageous! My gp just provided a letter confirming my due date and had it left at reception ready for me to collect.

No; that is outrageous.
    Can you get it done at your next hospital appointment instead?

I know! It's too late now. They had it filled out and just sprang the charge on me as I was picking it up. I should have argued but I was actually shell shocked! Seriously thinking about switching GPs after this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Tell me does the employer have to fill out the MB2 form if the mat benefit is being paid direct to me and if there is no top up from the employer? The mb2 seems to be all about bank details etc. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    Tell me does the employer have to fill out the MB2 form if the mat benefit is being paid direct to me and if there is no top up from the employer? The mb2 seems to be all about bank details etc. Thanks.

Looking at the form here and although vague it would appear so. The payment details section of the MB 2 is to remain blank unless "your employee has authorised that maternity benefit payments be made directly to you (employer)". However, looks like the rest is to be filled out as they need employer to certify the employee is indeed entitled to the period of leave stated.

Advertisement