Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Blingy wrote: »
    Tell me does the employer have to fill out the MB2 form if the mat benefit is being paid direct to me and if there is no top up from the employer? The mb2 seems to be all about bank details etc. Thanks.

Yes they complete the mb2 but do not need to complete the bank details as per the part in the middle of first page I'd mb2 :"employers payment method '

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Blingy wrote: »
    Tell me does the employer have to fill out the MB2 form if the mat benefit is being paid direct to me and if there is no top up from the employer? The mb2 seems to be all about bank details etc. Thanks.

I would say so because it would be the proof you are actually employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for the replies ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hi ladies, I'm just back from my 31 week scan. Have been told baby is active and all looks well but baby is approx. 4 and a half lbs already so I've to come back next week for a gestational diabetes test. Is that very large for this stage? How accurate are their measurements? What are the implications if I do have gestational diabetes? Sorry for all the questions I was just a bit shocked in the hospital so I didn't ask the questions that I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Hi ladies, I'm just back from my 31 week scan. Have been told baby is active and all looks well but baby is approx. 4 and a half lbs already so I've to come back next week for a gestational diabetes test. Is that very large for this stage? How accurate are their measurements? What are the implications if I do have gestational diabetes? Sorry for all the questions I was just a bit shocked in the hospital so I didn't ask the questions that I should have.

While the measurements are a good indicator of what's going on with your baby, I would take them with a small pinch of salt - I had gestational diabetes on my last pregnancy (and my current one). On the last scan before I gave birth, they told me she was measuring as nearly 10 pounds - she came out as 7!

As far as the diabetes is concerned, only real implication is that you have to get blood tests done every 2 weeks ish to monitor your blood sugar levels. If they are measuring too high, they will advise you to change your diet to keep them under control. If that doesn't work, you may need to start taking insulin to manage it. But that is an extreme example, all through my first pregnancy and my current one (I'm 30 weeks) I've managed the levels by diet.
    As far as I know, high blood sugar levels is just related to the size of your baby (typically bigger if your blood sugars are high).

It's also worth saying that you might not have it at all! Try not to fret too much until the test results are back.
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you like :)

• Advertisement

They may induce you close to / before your due date as well rather than letting you go naturally or overdue.

TheIronyMaiden you were exactly the person I needed to hear from! I think I just wasn't expecting to hear anything other than positive news because all has been going so well so far. So when i heard a potential blip i overreacted and frightened myself! Bloody hormones! I'm normally rational I swear!!! Seriously though thanks a million for posting.... I feel much better having read your post and even if I do have GD while not ideal it's not that big a problem relatively speaking. Thanks again.

bee06 wrote: »
    They may induce you close to / before your due date as well rather than letting you go naturally or overdue.

Would that be in a case where they think the baby is going to just be too big?

Would that be in a case where they think the baby is going to just be too big?

That would be the main reason but high blood sugar can cause some pregnancy complications as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

History queen...I feel your pain. I had a scan earlier on this week and told everything was fine. Got a phone call from the doctor last night then saying that she thought she was measuring 31 week baby but I'm really 33 so now they want me to go back in for another scan. She's breech as well. Spent all night googling all the things it could be and am sick now to my stomach.
    Have to wait now for appointment with a sonographer to see if everything is ok...I can't stop thinking it's some kind of problem causing her to be breech and small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Stay off google!!Hopefully your scan will go well.Just out of appointment and being told it will be a 'relatively big' baby at birth(29 weeks) I asked for a definition of 'relatively big' in this context- 8.5lb I was told.
    Given that it's my third, I felt like rolling my eyes at her.Those measurements are not accurate until the very end.And even at that they are relying on what the machine is picking up from a moving baby.

Shesty: you are 100% right... we need to say no to Dr. Google! I think like that it's my inexperience that's making me worry whereas ladies who have been through pregnancy before can see the wood through the trees if that makes sense?

Laylag: I'm sorry to hear that. Try not to worry (i know i know easier said than done) hopefully you'll get an appointment sooner rather than later. Did they give you a timeframe?

Bee06: what type of complications? Have you experience of this yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Don't worry or try not to at least. I had the GTT this week and passed following a failed GCT last week. Chin up - it'll all be ok :)

Bee06: what type of complications? Have you experience of this yourself ?

No, I haven’t. It was something I came across before my GTT when I was researching. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it until you actually have to. You don’t know you have GD yet and even if you do I’m sure you’ll be able to manage it to avoid any complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Laylag: I'm sorry to hear that. Try not to worry (i know i know easier said than done) hopefully you'll get an appointment sooner rather than later. Did they give you a timeframe?

Thanks. And yes thanks to the poster who advised against Google....it's awful!

They said I should be in next week...fingers crossed for a positive outcome for all of us ladies xx

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

TheIronyMaiden you were exactly the person I needed to hear from! I think I just wasn't expecting to hear anything other than positive news because all has been going so well so far. So when i heard a potential blip i overreacted and frightened myself! Bloody hormones! I'm normally rational I swear!!! Seriously though thanks a million for posting.... I feel much better having read your post and even if I do have GD while not ideal it's not that big a problem relatively speaking. Thanks again.

Oh believe me I felt the same way the first time I was told! All over the place, felt weirdly guilty as well like I had done something wrong? But of course it's not like that at all :) just one of those things some ladies get! You'll honestly be fine either way :) no worries at all, like I said feel free to pop back here at any time if you have any questions about any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Nesting anyone?

I'm only 32 weeks and I am doing the complete opposite. I've lost all will to do anything, beds are unmade, kitchen is a mess and there's a pile of laundry out waiting to be hung for the last day. Bare in mind that this is completely unlike me. I tend to keep a tidy house and enjoy cleaning. Even the toddler is starting to think something is up. I just don't have the will.

Baby's room is basically a bomb site as it has been used as a dressing room, my mum and partner have helped a bit with encouraging to paint and getting a few things ready but to be honest I have no interest.

I don't remember nesting with my first either but we were living with my parents.However I do remember going on a mad one and washing all the pillows at around this time...

Anyone experiencing something similar? I can barely bring myself to interact much with the rest of the family and it's starting to get worrying...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

ccardoso33 wrote:
    I'm only 32 weeks and I am doing the complete opposite. I've lost all will to do anything, beds are unmade, kitchen is a mess and there's a pile of laundry out waiting to be hung for the last day. Bare in mind that this is completely unlike me. I tend to keep a tidy house and enjoy cleaning. Even the toddler is starting to think something is up. I just don't have the will.

Sounds like me at the minute!! 31 wks, and no interest in doing anything, I had nesting on my first at round 35 weeks, I was scrubbing the skirting boards and All!
    This time round I don't even know where I'll be putting baby to sleep yet let alone have anything organised for myself or baba for the hospital. everything is up in the air with our build, getting a bit stressed with that!

Thank god I am not the only one! And good luck with the build! We moved here in August and renovated the place. I found out I was pregnant a week after we moved and we had the place gutted, that and 1st trimester combined meant it was a total disaster. But we made it and got most of it done. It feels like I have so little left to do but I just can't.

I still haven't bothered to get hospital stuff ready either, currently we have 3 sleepsuits and that's it as I threw away most of my 1st's stuff before we moved. I've also been very spoilt as up until Christmas my partner only worked 3 days a week, for a couple of hours each day. He's taken on a few more hours and I'm finding it tough to be enthusiastic about being at home doing the same things with the toddler! I really can't wait for the baby but I wish I had some more enthusiasm and energy!

ccardoso33 wrote: »
    Thank god I am not the only one! And good luck with the build! We moved here in August and renovated the place. I found out I was pregnant a week after we moved and we had the place gutted, that and 1st trimester combined meant it was a total disaster. But we made it and got most of it done. It feels like I have so little left to do but I just can't.

I still haven't bothered to get hospital stuff ready either, currently we have 3 sleepsuits and that's it as I threw away most of my 1st's stuff before we moved. I've also been very spoilt as up until Christmas my partner only worked 3 days a week, for a couple of hours each day. He's taken on a few more hours and I'm finding it tough to be enthusiastic about being at home doing the same things with the toddler! I really can't wait for the baby but I wish I had some more enthusiasm and energy!

I've definitely been feeling like this re lack of energy and enthusiasm. At work I'm normally all go and have work completed way way before deadlines and am super organised...at the moment I'm holding on to my workload by my fingernails and only just getting through the day...not fair on students as now i take a few days to get corrections back to them rather than overnight (I'm a teacher ) but months of little sleep is catching up on me.

My house is a warzone.... i just cannot motivate myself to do more than the bare minimum and as for getting organised for the baby? I don't even have a place for the baby to sleep sorted yet.

Are you having trouble sleeping? I think that's my problem. Its the constant tiredness... i find myself trying to sleep on my break at work, collapsing in to bed when i get in from work, falling asleep in the car when my husband is driving etc etc.... It's making my motivation levels plummet... i found myself near tears yesterday at the thought of having to get up 20 mins early to have a shower and wash my hair. 8 weeks to go....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

ccardoso33 wrote:

All my baby things are in boxes in the shed, I did make a list of all the things I needed and what I had but it involves washing a lot of clothes, washing car seat covers and the buggy and none of that is appealing right now! Plus if I did take in to it I would have no where to put any of the things until we get in to our house!!

Only 6 more weeks at work and I have taken another weeks holidays the week after next because I just can't do it anymore!! The long days (13hr shifts) plus over an hour commute each way is getting me down. I was trying to save annual leave for end of mat leave but will have to use next years for that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

Have to admit I was the same until yesterday.
    The house was a bomb site! I had all our clean washing in the Moses basket just sitting in the middle of the kitchen, plus bags of things that need to go to the charity shop. Couldn't even see the kitchen table! Husband did paint the nursery a few weeks ago and it's such a neat room I didn't have the heart to put anything else in it.
    Husband was very sick yesterday so i started cleaning the house out of pure boredom. Still need to do my hospital bag. 4 weeks of work left! I've actually been sleeping quite well, aside from all the trips to the bathroom.

The hard part for me at the moment is having a very active baby, any time I'm trying to relax and watch a bit of TV, he takes that as his cue to kick and punch and roll, nothing seems to calm him except for me to stand up. I know having him active is a good thing, but mummy needs a break boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I'm on top of surface cleaning but there's definitely cobwebs rather I can't reach. I'm very tempted to Google a cleaner and get someone in to do a blitz on the house in the next few weeks.

Anyone going away with their partner before baby arrives? We're going away later this week for two nights..can't wait!

Hollymartins we were planning on taking a little break but at the moment I'm so tired it doesn't seem worth it to go anywhere in the car just to be tired in a new location. Hope ye have a lovely time, my sisters-in-law all did a weekend away before they had babies and they said it was lovely to have a bit of relaxation time as a couple before the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Yes we went away last time around, we're just going to a hotel less than an hour away but we'll eat in their fancy restaurant and laze about for 48 hours. I'm also taking a week off next month with nothing planned, I'm just going to watch some Netflix and enjoy the relative calm before the new born baby cluster feeding storm that will hit us in April.

Anyone experiencing acid reflux? I am and it's much worse second time around. Every time I move in bed it causes me to cough and splutter so not much sleep being had!

I have had acid reflux but it is very very mild. Only affects me for first half hour of lying down. I find drinking a glass of milk before bed as a preventative measure helps.

I relate to all of you totally and I've been off work since October because of the hyperemisis so at least I haven't had to deal with that, god knows what state I'd be in otherwise.

Lack of sleep is definitely an issue. I don't remember being this tired and unable to sleep with my first, but then again I didn't have a toddler running around!

We went to Belfast the three of us last week from Tuesday to Thursday. We stayed in a hotel with pool and went to the ice hockey. Was really nice to have a little relaxing time as the end of our time as a family of 3 is coming to an end. However I do think coming back home did contribute to how I am feeling now. I left everything tidy and clean but being back here was just a bit overwhelming. We left my family looking after the cats and chickens and came back to cat pee on the sofa (elderly cat that can't handle the colder days) and one of our chickens was taken by a fox (first time it's ever happened). But definitely take the time off if you can, even just the two days made a huge difference! Nothing like having someone else cook your breakfast!

Three weeks left in work so counting down now! All very exciting. Hope everyone is feeling well and the last few appointments go to plan! I'm sure we'll see an uptake of activity on the thread once March kicks in...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Started picking up baby clothes for the hospital. It seems too early to have a lot of clothes for the baby. I don't know when to do these things!

• Advertisement

RubyXI wrote: »
    Started picking up baby clothes for the hospital. It seems too early to have a lot of clothes for the baby. I don't know when to do these things!

FTM here too and haven't a clue! I was given advice to think 2 weeks at a time and only focus on what you need for those two weeks. Everything can be got online pretty quickly and we'll be at home to get deliveries! Only when Baby is home and you get to know one another can you figure out what you need vs. what you can do without. I think it's good advice. If not given stuff from friends / family, I'd literally just buy enough to see me through the start.

Advertisement