Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My advice based on the last 7 weeks is clothes wise all you need is lots of short sleeved vests and sleepsuits. Fancy clothes can wait until he/she is older and doesn’t need to be changed 2 or 3 times a day (or more!) I mostly bought 0-1 month clothes and they lasted until he was 6 weeks. We got lots of gifts of clothes but they were mostly 3-6mths and 6-9months. Only one person got us newborn stuff.

When buying clothes have a look to how it buttons as well. It’s not something I thought of beforehand and some of the sleepsuits were a pain in the ass to get on him.

On home delivery I thought the same about being home so it would be grand. In real life I’ve spent most of the time under the baby feeding him or having him asleep on me because that’s his favourite place so it was actually quite stressful getting deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

And nappies girls, what size should you get? I bought a small pack of size 0 and then a few packs of size 1, but are they too small? Should I be getting bigger sizes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Nappies is the one thing I recommend stock piling on. For my first we were given lots of clothes and most went unused. For this little dude I have 3 pairs of sleepsuits and 5 of bodysuits, the rest I will get when he's here and I've seen what family has gotten.

Nappies-wise For my first i got 1 med packet of size 0s, 2 large of size 1 and 3 of size 2 before she was born which turned out to be plenty until she was big enough for the cloth nappies. I'm doing the same for the little man this time around. I found that with my first we used a lot more size 2 and 3 than any other., but she's long and skinny (50cm and 3.3kg at birth). Come to think of it, I think I had some spare size 0s that went to a friend... Either way buy a few (and wipes I love the boots own brand, cheap, reliable and the pink smells great - although my first never had any allergies) whatever you don;t use someone will appreciate.

Stock up on maternity pads though!!! I thought I had enough on my first and boy was I wrong! Also, if you are planning on breastfeeding get lots of the mam compresses. A little dear but they were life savers, the nurse suggested when I was struggling and I couldn't recommend more. I have a large pile already!

Personally I found that I barely got through any sudocream or much baby wash in the first few weeks, so I'm just getting the minimum this time around....

Ooh muslins... could not get enough of those!

Totally agree about the fancy clothes... My little girl didn't wear anything else other than pjs the first 4/5 weeks =D

I had size 1 nappies from the start. My little boy was 3.4kgs when born and he just moved to size 2 last week. I got a big box of water wipes (9 packs for 25 Euro) and they lasted us 5 weeks I think.

Definitely stock up on the maternity pads. I had 4 packs of 10 and that wasn’t enough at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bbudab wrote: »
    And nappies girls, what size should you get? I bought a small pack of size 0 and then a few packs of size 1, but are they too small? Should I be getting bigger sizes too?

My little guy is nearly 3 weeks, was 3.25kg at birth and size 1 were almost too big at birth. He was long and skinny though, born at 38 weeks but as long as big bro who got three weeks more on the inside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

We had a growth scan today in Holle's Street at 32 weeks... Little man is around 2kg and head down. I swear I have no more space for him to grow! I don't remember feeling this "stuffed" with his sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

ccardoso33 wrote: »
    We had a growth scan today in Holle's Street at 32 weeks... Little man is around 2kg and head down. I swear I have no more space for him to grow! I don't remember feeling this "stuffed" with his sister!

Completely agree with you! I'm on my second too and I just can't get over how different the bump feels! Some days it feels so tight it's as if it's about to burst. Always got comments that my bump was very "neat" on my first. Well I'm definitely not getting those comments this time round :P

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Completely agree with you! I'm on my second too and I just can't get over how different the bump feels! Some days it feels so tight it's as if it's about to burst. Always got comments that my bump was very "neat" on my first. Well I'm definitely not getting those comments this time round

I'm also on my second and for the last 3 weeks or so everyone I meet can't believe how long I have left to go and basically say I'm huge and I have had the 'are you sure its not twins comments!' (31 weeks now) but I laughed yesterday when 2 different people called me neat! I feel anything but neat. I feel like my bump is lower this time but I can't be sure, maybe it just hasn't gotten to full height yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Starting to get hospital bags together. I'm so confused and getting stressed about it. (Stupid I know) I can't get my head around what I'll need and when. Like am I only allowed a small bag in the labour ward and the rest is brought in afterwards.... but I'll need a change of clothes and shower stuff soon after the birth so I should have these to hand too. I will have to bring an old night shirt or whatever for labour but I suppose this will be thrown out as soon as everything is cleaned up so will need another clean one to change in to.
    I have read many lists of what to bring but it's the timeline I think I'm confused about. I realise I'm overthinking this. But I just want to be organised so that my OH isn't running around shops looking for stuff I'm missing....

RubyXI wrote:
    Starting to get hospital bags together. I'm so confused and getting stressed about it. (Stupid I know) I can't get my head around what I'll need and when. Like am I only allowed a small bag in the labour ward and the rest is brought in afterwards.... but I'll need a change of clothes and shower stuff soon after the birth so I should have these to hand too. I will have to bring an old night shirt or whatever for labour but I suppose this will be thrown out as soon as everything is cleaned up so will need another clean one to change in to. I have read many lists of what to bring but it's the timeline I think I'm confused about. I realise I'm overthinking this. But I just want to be organised so that my OH isn't running around shops looking for stuff I'm missing....

Well for me on my first I just had a small back pack type bag for labour bag, it had babies vest/sleepsuit/cardi/nappy and hat, then for myself I had a clean nightie, sweets, a facecloth and socks(didn't use any of these!). I had an epidural so a shower was out of the question in the labour ward, and I was so infatuated with my new baba that I didn't even think of trying to change my nightie.
    I was out from labour ward after 2 and half hours. And had all my other things in my main bag on ward. Others may have other experiences. I'll probably pack the same way this time though.

• Advertisement

What I packed in my labour bag:
    An old t-shirt for labour
    A clean night shirt for after
    Travel toiletries
    Old towel
    Maternity pads (2 packs)
    Big knickers
    Vest, sleepsuit, hat, nappy for the baby
    Snacks
    Water
    iPod (didn’t use)
    Kindle (didn’t use)
    Phone chargers
    Tens machine (forgot to use)

I should have packed 2 nappies because he needed a change before my husband could get the main bag from the car (I was quite sick after)
    I also should have packed a dressing gown ... my old t-shirt was shortish and I had to go down the hall to use a free bathroom in early labour!

I would assume you will need some thinks after you get to your room as your husband/partner won’t want to leave you straight away to go to the car. He’ll be too busy staring at you and your beautiful baby in awe.

I just love reading all your tips about the hospital bags!
    I'm working on mine at the moment. our problem is that we have no car. Planning on getting a taxi to the hospital, so i have no place to keep my over night bag whilst I'm in labour.

Had my 34 week hospital appointment today, everything is perfect. Such a relief, I went so giddy when I saw baby on the scan. My head is completely in the clouds at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can bring both bags to the delivery room alright, just try not to have a big suitcase with you!OH will be carrying the lot anyway :-)

Do you need to bring baby towels to the hospital?

shesty wrote: »
    You can bring both bags to the delivery room alright, just try not to have a big suitcase with you!OH will be carrying the lot anyway :-)

Perfect, plan to have a bag for the delivery, plus a small overnight bag. Then have an extra overnight bag at home that OH can bring to me the next day if i need it.
    I think the hospital bag list on pippa.ie is great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No.
    They might only give the baby a quick dip in a sink to show you how, and they use the hospital towels.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

shesty wrote: »
    No.
    They might only give the baby a quick dip in a sink to show you how, and they use the hospital towels.

In UHW you have to bring baby towels, had to on my 1st and now will have to on 2nd. They give baby a bath in there to show you

Any recommendations on where to get baby towels and wash cloths? Mothercare is the only place I've really seen them and they're all the hooded towels. I want a few hooded towels but will probably want a few ordinary ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

RubyXI wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where to get baby towels and wash cloths? Mothercare is the only place I've really seen them and they're all the hooded towels. I want a few hooded towels but will probably want a few ordinary ones too.

Ikea have them I think. Although any normal towel will do the job just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Ugh have 3 more weeks left in work after this week and feel like everyone is trying to get every last bit of work out of me before I finish up! Stress central!
    Finding it very hard to get everything done and having to go out to appointments and train in my replacement at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I'm in a similar position as I've just been transferred to a new area (the transfer is unrelated to my pregnancy) and while it's a great opportunity I have a lot of leave I need to take before the end of next month and I'm worried I'll barely be in before I finish up. I still want to take my leave because I know once the baby arrives I'll regret not resting up. It's just typical timing, I could've been transferred a month ago but HR dragged their feet and now it's happened before I could use up leave :mad:

RubyXI wrote: »

Regular bathtowels will do.Otherwise hooded ones in Dunnes, Mothercare and the like.Ikea's towels are hooded but great because they are really big.The Dunnes etc ones are cute but they become too small really quick, whereas the Ikea ones are still doing the job for a 3.5 year old here.Good quality too.Clevamama do one too, we got as a present.

I'm in a similar position as I've just been transferred to a new area (the transfer is unrelated to my pregnancy) and while it's a great opportunity I have a lot of leave I need to take before the end of next month and I'm worried I'll barely be in before I finish up. I still want to take my leave because I know once the baby arrives I'll regret not resting up. It's just typical timing, I could've been transferred a month ago but HR dragged their feet and now it's happened before I could use up leave

Definitely take your leave!! Its v annoying when work gets so busy at a time when you want to be winding down. I have a lovely manager but feel like there is no let up on anything at all...with the combination of feeling so tired and stressed about pregnancy the last thing you need is for work to get mental at the same time. Nobody seems to care and just keeps putting more pressure on. Cannot wait for my last day and hopefully get a bit of rest in before the new arrival comes!

Had my 32 week scan today, the placenta has moved up now 5cm from the cervical opening so all good! Baby measuring bang on average for all readings, weighing in at an estimated 4lb 6oz! Hope everyone doing ok?

ainy wrote: »
    Had my 32 week scan today, the placenta has moved up now 5cm from the cervical opening so all good! Baby measuring bang on average for all readings, weighing in at an estimated 4lb 6oz! Hope everyone doing ok?

That's great. I have mine this week too. Bit worried as it has been so long since the last scan. I am worried the baby might be breech. But hopefully all will go well.

ainy wrote:

That's great ainy...must be a big relief. I'm in for a growth scan on wed so hoping she is nice and big!! They were worried she is measuring behind at the last one....she was breech last time too so fingers crossed she's turned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

That's great ainy.
    It's always a relief to know everything is ok.
    Just a quick question I had a big scan at 21 weeks, will I have another big scan at all? I am semi private in holles st so see my gp and consultant alternatively. But the little scan the consultant does certainly doesn't seem to be long enough to measure size etc thanks.

Blingy wrote:
    That's great ainy. It's always a relief to know everything is ok. Just a quick question I had a big scan at 21 weeks, will I have another big scan at all? I am semi private in holles st so see my gp and consultant alternatively. But the little scan the consultant does certainly doesn't seem to be long enough to measure size etc thanks.

Not sure blingy, I'm in cavan and they don't do the 20 week one,(I did a private one) just dating at 12 weeks and then a growth scan at 32wks, I won't get any more now unless there was some concern.

Fingers crossed all will be well with the scans ruby and Laylag, there is still time for baby to turn even if it shows they are breech,

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    That's great ainy.
    It's always a relief to know everything is ok.
    Just a quick question I had a big scan at 21 weeks, will I have another big scan at all? I am semi private in holles st so see my gp and consultant alternatively. But the little scan the consultant does certainly doesn't seem to be long enough to measure size etc thanks.

I'm 35 weeks in Holles Street, also on the GP / Hospital visits and yes they only do one big scan at 21ish weeks. But anytime I've gone in to the hospital for my visit they always do a scan to have a look at size and fluid and heart beat.

Advertisement