Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with win.rar

Options
  • 17-08-2017 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi can someone advise on a problem with my pc, when i extract some compressed files that use win.rar file on this machine to usb key or to desktop it seems the file is automatically stored in pdf form, and this pdf form is no use to me as it has to be in the original win.rar
    i also have an very old laptop at home thats on its last legs and when i use this with winrar it works perfectly and i can use it then however i would prefer to use the newer machine thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

thats a little confusing.

the compressed file has a 3 letter file extension, usually it will be .zip or .rar if created with winrar.
    but you are saying its .pdf ? a pdf file is not created in winrar/winzip etc.

if the winzip winrar file has its file extension renamed to .pdf, then you would have the problem you are describing - and the issue there would be the renaming of the file. If thats all it is you could rename it back to correct file extension.

However its possible you have associated the winrar file type with acrobat reader and you think its a pdf file because it looks like one, but isnt.
    In that case you would right click the file and choose open with - and select programme. then you would choose the correct programme.

finally, winrar files cannot be open on the new pc at all unless you have to correct software installed, eg winrar, 7zip etc. are you sure it is installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

pegasuspub wrote: »
    Hi can someone advise on a problem with my pc, when i extract some compressed files that use win.rar file on this machine to usb key or to desktop it seems the file is automatically stored in pdf form, and this pdf form is no use to me as it has to be in the original win.rar
    i also have an very old laptop at home thats on its last legs and when i use this with winrar it works perfectly and i can use it then however i would prefer to use the newer machine thanks.

I am unsure if you are using the correct terminology, but if yes then your result might well be expected.

A .rar will have one or more files within it.
    When you extract you open the .rar and take the file/s out.
    So it seems you might be extracting a .pdf file from within the .rar whereas you seem to want to copy the .rar to another location?

Maybe you could better explain what you want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pegasuspub

Hi thanks for your reply
    I am not the best with the pc but have sorted the problem I believe with your help,
    when I extracted the rar file to my desktop it was displayed with a pdf icon and if I tried to open it I got an error message saying acrobat could not open it,
    so I finally right clicked on the pdf icon and clicked on properties I say a message saying ### open with adobe## and there was an option to change this
    I changed this to rar and the problem seem ok now
    I deleted the pdf and then extracted the file again to my desktop and now its displayed in the win.rar form
    I hope this makes sense
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yep , rar file type was associated with adobe acrobat reader.

good stuff.

Advertisement