Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best PME option

Options
  • 17-08-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everyone.
    So I was wondering what people thought of the PMEs (Post primary) those offered in the NUI colleges vs the one in Hibernia college.
    My main concern is based around work placement, from what I have seen the Hibernia PME says students must do 24 weeks placement. Is this too short? I was also wondering what people's experiences in the NUI colleges was like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Depends on where you live and costs really. They say Maynooth has the best reputation but they are all the same . Hibernia is just as recognised as the rest. You will be applying to PAC (like the cao) and you will be putting them in order of preference for most of them and hibernia separately so apply for all and you might be lucky to have two offers. The hardest part is getting placements so get your name to schools the minute you hear. What are your subjects?

I forgot DCU as well is very popular because lectures are in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Francesp1996

Thanks, my subjects are English and History. Yea I applied last year and even though I had the points for Maynooth I was offered a place in UCD. So I decided to take a year out and try to figure out which college was the best option for me.

That happens unfortunately to a lot of people. They take the offer they are given and end up loving the place they didn't necessarily think they would. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm a current PME student in Hibernia if you have any questions.,,

• Advertisement

Hey Sullivlo, I was wondering about placement in particular how many weeks and hours that's done. I read on the Hibernia website that it was 24 weeks. Is that in total over the 2 years? I was also wondering if anyone in Hibernia on boards has started in April and if they found getting placement that late in the year difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hey Sullivlo, I was wondering about placement in particular how many weeks and hours that's done. I read on the Hibernia website that it was 24 weeks. Is that in total over the 2 years? I was also wondering if anyone in Hibernia on boards has started in April and if they found getting placement that late in the year difficult?

I'm on the April cohort and we all managed to secure placements. If you get accepted early in the year you can start seeking placement. I only got accepted the week that college started but I had my placement sorted in time.

The placement is in three sections: two 7 week blocks and one 10 week block. That's over the two years.

I'm just about to start placement and I feel well prepared to stand in front of the class.

Onsites take place every few weeks. To date, all have been in Dublin (so factor that in to your thoughts) on weekends. Mostly Saturday but I've had two Sundays.

Midweek there are ~3 hours of webinars online through blackboard. These are recorded if you can't make it and need to catch up.

There are also lots of on-demand sessions, 3 per week usually. These can be tedious but they're to be done.

Assignment wise... we have had 4 to date. They're all doable but they take time. But you learn lots from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Sorry to just cut in here: I'm in TCD about to start year 1. First impressions are not good, however. I secured a placement in Drogheda, however, college have turned it down saying that it's too far away and not in the GDA. Does this leave me completely snookered?

Oh feck! I know from looking at Maynooth PME placement guidelines and you have to get a school that's in 160km radius, but other colleges email a list of schools that take students. Maybe TCD would give you a list of schools to email?
    Best of luck Seannew1! Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Sorry to just cut in here: I'm in TCD about to start year 1. First impressions are not good, however. I secured a placement in Drogheda, however, college have turned it down saying that it's too far away and not in the GDA. Does this leave me completely snookered?

Hi Mods, can you please delete this comment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement