Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maniac - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I like Louis's cousin in The Leftovers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trailer's up. Shade or two of other things in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Felt like they wanted me to remember:
    - Alien
    - Bladerunner
    - The AO
    - Sucker Punch
    - Lord of the Rings

Quality looks decent enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Eternal Sunshine..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Echos of Legion for me; the warped, off kilter pschodellia reminded me of that FX show. Half expected a confused Dan Stevens to walk across the screen, someone calling "David!" off screen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Series Premiere
    Friday, September 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

From a Variety review: "feels urgent and deeply, painfully human". What the feck painfully human is supposed to mean I don't know but the fact that Variety praise it so much means the chances of me liking this are slim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without seeing the full review, I would interpret language like "painfully human" implying the characters are as relatably sloppy & flawed as real people tend to be, rather than the idealised, dramatically fictional versions you get in most scripted drama *shrug*

First episode was cool. Looks like an
    alternative universe

Think Emma Stones character Patricia
    was lying to him there at the end just so he'd not get both of them thrown out

Episode 2.

Oops, Emma Stones character is Annie. Patricia is the woman behind the counter.

Need to know what happens next!

• Advertisement

3 & 4: Not sure where they are going with it. Maybe that
    Annie and Owen will get together, lose their minds or memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Not for me I starting to skip on the second episode and just turned it off by episode 5 it’s dragged out to span 10 episodes like usual Netflix stuff they could have done 3 episodes into 2 and shorten the series to 6 episodes or something

5 & 6: Elves!

It feels like up to this point, we've been given background.
    Something like here's info on:
    - the world
    - the subjects
    - the scientists
    - the AI with empathy, now influenced by Greta
    Now on to mashing them altogether to see what happens to them.

and finished...

That was decent enough.

It got pretty violent in places. It even had a kinda corridor scene not dissimilar to daredevil/counterpart.

The ending was fine. There's a mid credits scene on the last episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Slydice wrote: »
    and finished...

That was decent enough.

It got pretty violent in places. It even had a kinda corridor scene not dissimilar to daredevil/counterpart.

The ending was fine. There's a mid credits scene on the last episode.

Don't you mean the corridor scene from Oldboy? :pac:

verycool wrote: »
    Don't you mean the corridor scene from Oldboy? :pac:

:eek: I eh ... yes I have seen that one .. this was was less..
    hatchety?
    :eek:

Now that you mention it though, that would be a corridor scene from well before the Marvel Netflix shows were doing them.

Maybe it's a thing in Movie/TV making. Like a well-known set piece or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Binged watched a load of weekend, so think I have only a small bit of 9 and episode 10 to watch.

I'm enjoying it for the most part though some episodes are far more enjoyable than others.. and some are just too weird for me (e.g
    elves, Owen as a hawk etc
    ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

uKFPNg7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

I stuck it out and finished it last night, I was tempted to give up after a few episodes but was in need of a binge after a weekend away and wasn't able to find anything else so pushed through. These are my thoughts on it:

The obvious comparisons for me (other than Eternal Sunshine) are Mr Robot and Black Mirror. I thought it wanted to be the latter, especially the way it tried to infuse a bit of dark humour, but (unfortunately) was more like the former ie had all the moodiness and trappings of a drama based on mental illness but no real identity or ideas of its own. At times it was reaching for Charlie Kaufmann levels of absurdity, (
    eg I'm thinking of the Ernie the alien stuff
    ) but again it just felt shoe-horned in and out of place.

While Kaufman movies or Black Mirror can be a bit uneven, they always seem willing to follow wherever the consequences of the weird internal logic and rules of the imagined world takes them, irrespective of morality or messiness of storytelling. Maniac just turned into a standard boy girl in a perilous situation scenario (
    neatly tied up tho of course with the usual sprinkle of doubt about reality thrown in at the end also
    ). It was trying to be a clever and trippy psychological drama but I thought it ended up just being the pop psychology it gently mocked. Maybe that was an in-joke tho? It was a good cast with some good performances (Stone was excellent) and some nice direction, and I didn't regret watching it, just a little bit disappointed as it felt like the ingredients were there for something better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Overall I really liked it except around the episode 7 and 8 mark where it dragged a bit.

Good performances all round from the cast. Nice music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wormking2002

I watched it and to be honest I've lost part of my life.. And not in a good way.. Too distant and vague and not consistent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Finished this last night. It’s absolutely bonkers.
    There’s an abundance of quality on show here, Everything from the acting, to the set design, production values, music, it’s all excellent, but it completely went over my head. Maybe it was just my teeny-tiny brain not being able to interpret what this was trying to say, but it was completely lost on me.

One thing that caught me was the lack of consequence.,

The two lead characters make big decisions, for instance, Emma Stones character makes a big emotional decision towards the end of episode 8, only for it to not actually mean anything. It delivers these big set pieces, like an epic John Wick style shoot out, but have Stone and Hill walk around so effortlessly as if it’s nothing, like they are just playing a video game, the choreography of the scene is fantastic, but it’s missing any sort of consequences, it’s almost like the show is doing this by design, just so it can demonstrate how good it is, like hey..., look at how good we can do a Lord of the Rings set... look, here’s a John Wick style corridor scene... here’s Jonah Hill delivering an epic monologue in a hilariously weird accent, it feels like it’s doing theee things to just show off. The only consistent thread to this whole thing is that it’s constantly hilarious, I found myself laughing at every random eyebrow raising, bizarre thing that happened... and maybe that’s just the point, underneath everything, it’s basically just a comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good show. The whole thing is just quality - actors, set pieces, production value. It does drag a bit in the penultimate episodes, but overall it's a solid show. However, I do wonder how general audiences received it? It's just so off-the-wall and bonkers.

Overall though I really liked it alot....and can't not comment on Jonah Hill's massive weight loss. THat guy is fast becoming a Christian Bale level of method acting. Fat, thin, fat, thin...hard to even know anymore what his default is.

Advertisement