Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from China (shipping companies)

Options
  • 17-08-2017 11:30pm

Hi folks.

I have a customer in Ireland that is interested in buying a large quantity of a bespoke polyresin figurine from me and thus i have enquired to many Chinese suppliers for a price.

I have done as much due diligence on each supplier which has quoted me as i possibly can. There is one i am very interested in importing from. I was wondering though, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced shipping company that i could avail of in Ireland that would look after shipping and taxation?

Or has anyone ever just collected their goods from port and paid the taxes there? Im aware the VAT rate is 23% and import tax is 4.9%.
    Im hoping to get them shipped to Waterford and have sent an enquiry to Storeall with the estimated weight and amount of cartons to see if they can manage and if so, for how much they can manage it for me.

The only concern id have is that they will eat into my margin of profit considerably but at the same time they will give me peace of mind.

I have looked at previous threads about importation from china but none of them seem to be recent or directly relevant to this situation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Make sure you get a FOB price from your supplier and then get quotes from shipping companies here

irishmoss wrote: »
    Make sure you get a FOB price from your supplier and then get quotes from shipping companies here

FOB would be just the total cost of shipping the total amount of goods just to confirm or is it total cost of both manufacturing and shipping goods?

So is it better to let them ship to Ireland (eg Belview) and then get a logistics company such as Store-all (for example) to sort out the tax from there and then getting them delivered to my door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Ask for price of goods + FOB (Free on Board) this is the amount it will cost to ship the goods to the nearest port. Ring around here for someone to give you a quote from the port in China to your destination.
    Don't use the Chinese to ship to Ireland, it will be more expensive to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi folks.

I have a customer in Ireland that is interested in buying a large quantity of a bespoke polyresin figurine from me and thus i have enquired to many Chinese suppliers for a price.

I have done as much due diligence on each supplier which has quoted me as i possibly can. There is one i am very interested in importing from. I was wondering though, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced shipping company that i could avail of in Ireland that would look after shipping and taxation?

Or has anyone ever just collected their goods from port and paid the taxes there? Im aware the VAT rate is 23% and import tax is 4.9%.
    Im hoping to get them shipped to Waterford and have sent an enquiry to Storeall with the estimated weight and amount of cartons to see if they can manage and if so, for how much they can manage it for me.

The only concern id have is that they will eat into my margin of profit considerably but at the same time they will give me peace of mind.

I have looked at previous threads about importation from china but none of them seem to be recent or directly relevant to this situation

Hello Tipp_Gunner,

Can I suggest you review my posts ? I have assisted quite a number of people on boards.ie

Some of my posts relate to people who have left the shipping arrangements to their supplier in China. On the face of it they were offered a very good deal, untill the shipment arrived in Ireland and they were presented with extremely high "arrival charges".

I think, based on my experience and following the recommendation by Irishmoss, it is best if you buy on Free On Board terms and make the shipping arrangements from port of shipment through a local (Irish based) freight forwarder. They should be able to provide you with costs and ensure you are not faced with any nasty surprises.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Hello tip gunner,

I may be able to help also if Rusolf hasn't got this one sorted for you.. always helps to have a second opinion/price to benchmark your costs

• Advertisement
Advertisement